Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Nothing to see here…move along.

16 Likes

Who says?..

15 Likes

Maggies (LRS) here as well.:+1:

13 Likes

Goodness, this picture literally took my breath away for a second. What a dream. :pray:

Nice system. Great room and decorating.

1 Like

Thanks @Paul_Lewis :blush:

Very last update with the definitive addition of a VTL 6.5 that now substitutes to my 20y+ old beloved VTL 5.5.
After lots of focused experiments and shoutouts over the years, the obvious was just there with this same breed upgrade.

18 Likes

Which tube phono is that? Also the mono blocks?

This is an hand crafted, hand wired, phono preamp which consists of 2 separated stages : power (gz34, vr150, vr75, 6as7g tubes) & phono (ecc82, ecc83 & Hashimoto transfos).

This preamp is really really performing at a very high standard (i’ve also a manley steelhead which is on the 2nd system).

The mono blocks are Manley 440/200. Those ones are not plugged, they are just sitting.

I have another pair of them with KT90 Ei type 2 inside operating in the 2nd room + ATC 50 speakers. I will post pictures of this mess as it is not a living home looking setup at all

2 Likes

Thanks. Very nice your setup. Wine rack is perfect room treatment:) Analog must be divine with that TT and phono and VTL 6.5…I haven’t been drawn to reels. Do you prefer the ATC 100 to the Manley monoblocks in the chain? Clearly you are a fan on the ATC’s as you have the 50s as well.

Still enjoying the excellent sound of a Nucleus driving a pair of BeoLab 50.
Enjoy!

23 Likes

Oh yeah, i love the TT and tapes as well. I even prefer the reels as they sound even fuller with more body when you have access to great tapes, master tapes copies from first / second generation :wink:

The Manley are fantastic and are a perfect match with my passive ATC 50.
My ATC 100 are active, they then cannot be coupled with an amplifier.
Still, the global feeling / sound reproduction in my 2 systems are the same, and it is the balance i wanted to achieve.

2 Likes

That makes two of us! I need to find some good RTR tapes at decent prices.

Also, a few new pics of the system at a totally different angle. The 32" monitor on the back wall is connected to the tiny PC running Roon Core. Everything is hidden in that buffet table, and that huge monitor needs to go and a small monitor put inside the table as well. That wall is prime real estate for some acoustic panels!

Also, those LPs on the wall are damaged and are on pre-existing nails in the wall. Though I do want to do some kind of “wall art” with old non-playable LPs eventually.

10 Likes

Rega P10, Apheta-3
Naim SuperLine
Roon ROCK on Cirrus7 nimbini Media Edition
Naim NDX-2 / 555PS DR
Naim NAC 252 / SuperCap DR
Naim NAP 300 DR
Sehring Audio S913 Curved

Still with the old speakers:

Since we are showing off Roon:

33 Likes

Yes, in my second system. Currently driven with a Waversa WSLim Lite amplifier with Roon Ready.

14 Likes

Turntable sitting on a heavy duty shelf bolted securely to the wall is the only place to put a turntable. Bravo!

Nice, is the amplifier rated 80 Watt 4 Ohm or 8 Ohm?

I don’t think so. I feel a concrete slab floor and a solid audio rack is more solid than the 2x4 studs in a wall. Now with a suspended floor or in an apartment, then yes, the wall mount would be a better option.

1 Like

So basically, what you’re saying is how and where one places a turntable is dependent on the construction of the room. I agree with that. My room has a wood floor sitting on wooden cross beams, which is very prone to vibrations, therefore my turntable is sitting on a solid shelf bolted to the studs in the wall and is very vibration resistant.

Now that heavy duty turntable platforms made for wall mounting are becoming more readily available, I think that we are going to see more wall mounted turntables.

I also think that you are underestimating just how vibration resistant a wall stud can be. The stud is secured at the floor and ceiling and then held in place by the sheetrock, which is nailed or screwed into the stud. A lathe and plaster walls, which one might find in much older buildings, are about as solid as one can get but not easy to mount a shelf on.

2 Likes

It all depends. Rega recommends their little shelf and a solid wall, of course, but you maybe wouldn’t do that with a 2x4 stud wall (though maybe depends as well), and a concrete floor might be better, if you have one.

However, mine is not a 2x4 stud wall but a concrete wall. Couldn’t use the Rega shelf because I had to mount it on the left side, which would put the TT at an awkward orientation with the Rega shelf.

Hence a Pro-ject shelf mounted very securely in the concrete wall, the default MDF board replaced by a 17 kg slab of slate. To satisfy Rega’s “TT on a light and rigid base” recommendation, on top of the slab is a spiked Sicomin base made of carbonfiber-kevlar laminated hollow cardboard honeycomb.

Zero complaints about the sound in any case :slight_smile:

7 Likes