Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

That is amazing!
How do you find Genelec compared to Linkwitz? Very different philosophies.

They are very different.

The Linkwitz designs create a surprisingly spacious soundstage with excellent imaging, when placed in a large room far from rear and side walls. I listen to a little jazz but primarily classical; early music, instrumentals and chamber ensembles. Open baffles are ideal for this.

Placement restrictions make dipoles difficult/discouraged for home theaters. So I opted for monopoles with minimal room treatment. After calibration, the Genelecs in my HT space are accurate and due to room dimensions, acoustics and the sheer quantity of speakers present a plausible bubble of sound. Augmented by the JTR subs, bass can be downright frightening during action movie playback.

3 Likes

Absolutely!
They should be shipped to me any day soon. Ordered black on black this time !

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Four-legged acoustical treatments (Post your critters! :slight_smile: )

I have a minimal but very musical system in a small room (32m2). Not much to look at, I am afraid. Roon remote on my iPad (left bottom) playing the Roon core on a MacMini with external SSD storage hosting 2TB Music attached. The MacMini runs dirac.se DRC and plays into one of the Devialet Phantoms 1 Gold via optical. All gadgets are connected to the LAN. The Phantoms render, DA-convert, amplify, and transduce (speakers) the signal.
The TV set plays into the Phantoms. It also serves as the screen for the MacMini.
The collage on the wall is from my friend http://www.yo-dobro.at/ and is called “Dos Estelas”.

34 Likes

Some happy snaps of my workshop system. I built the La Scala clones but used JBL horns and compression drivers for the mids and top end. The system is triamped using a DBX pa1as the xover. The amps are class D I had a raspberry pi which I used as the endpoint. An old Samsung tablet serves as the interface.

30 Likes

They have arrived!

26 Likes

And they are still in their boxes :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Unbox - unbox - unbox…

3 Likes

cable management and some room acoustics will be done by next week !

19 Likes

You’re excused the odd untidy cable , put it down to excitement :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Cambridge CXA81 & CXN V2, Denafrips Ares II, Raspberry Pi4 running RoPieeeXL, Allo Shanti for the Pi4, Dynaudio Evoke 30, Feliks Audio Echo MKII & Sennheiser HD600. Not pictured, Mac Mini running Roon Server & HQPlayer.

Measured the in room response from the listening point using an UMIK-2 and Room EQ Wizard. Running DSP in HQPlayer.

On the horizon is one or two subs and a plan to upgrade my amp and dac in the distant future as I am currently very happy as is.

17 Likes

Curious — are you using the Denafrips as the DAC feeding the CXA81, bypassing the CXN V2 (and using it only for its streamer functionality)? If so do you notice a big difference between this and just using the CXN V2 as streamer + dac?

1 Like

Proper speaker/seat position :nerd_face::+1:

Lovely clean set up too

1 Like

Thanks, love me clean setup :wink: I played a lot with the room simulation in Room EQ Wizard to figure out the ideal speaker and listening position for my room. My inital speaker placement before wasnt far off but my listening position was much further away from the speakers. REW is such a great tool and the best it’s free. Highly recommended.

1 Like

I am using the CXN V2 to feed my headphone amp and the Pi4 to feed the Ares II & CXA81. The CXN V2 is a great but has its limitations. If only comapred by sound quality the Ares II is quiet a bit better in my opinion. The CXN V2 is not as refined and a bit muddy in the lower frequencies compared to the Ares II. The imaging on the Ares II is noticeably better as well. The CXN V2 was my first digital player and served me well for 2 years feeding my CXA81.

2 Likes

Didn’t you sell the 8c to get a pair ofGenelec?

Ah I see. Thanks for that it’s informative.

I’m using a CXA81 + CXNV2 presently and it’s quite a step up from what I had before.

One annoyance is that Roon can control volume of the CXNV2 but not on the CXA81… so I have preamp mode turned off on the CXNV2 and I use the physical remote to control volume on the CXA81. It would be nice to be able to control volume using Roon. How do you handle this in your setup?

1 Like

I always used the remote as you do. The preamp module in the CXN V2 wasn’t very appealing to me. Controlling the volume on the amplifier gave me the best performance.

What I wanted to add. I listened to quiet a few dacs in the 800-1000 range and it took me while before i settled with the Ares II. I still prefer the CXN V2 over the Topping D90 and the SMSL D1SE for example.

1 Like

I always love the “toshe’s” gorgeous BLUE lights!