Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

And now for something completely different …

I really admire - and sometimes envy - the people on this site for their well-equipped, well-thought and beautifully arranged systems, hats off! In contrast, this is a low-end, cheap setup working as a daily driver for “fun” listening - and it works pretty well :slight_smile:

The latest blogpost of archimago motivated me to “show off” my setup here. The post can be found in this thread: Great remarks by archimago on roon strategy

I live in a 100-year-old downtown apartment, so there’s no listening room, no ethernet and even too little power outlets out of the walls. I’m trying to avoid cables and extra boxes by any means, so it’s all WiFi with Chromecast Audios (CCA) or compatible devices. As the library consists of mainly reedbook FLACs, I’m totally fine with Chromecast capabilities. No streaming services, just local files and live radio, library size about 70k files.

Roon Server and library rest on a QNAP HS-435DX NAS with 8 GB RAM (fanless, because located in the living room), which is also used as File- and Plex Server. Yes, I know, not recommended and underpowered on paper, but works flawlessly and lasts, as long as it lasts. No DSP, just auto volume levelling.

NAS is directly connected via CAT6 to the WiFi router, which is an ASUS RT-AC66U B1 with a 2.4 and 5 GHz network, which both operate under the same ID to avoid thinking about which WiFi you’re logged in.

Main endpoint is a 12-year-old ONKYO TX-NR727 AV-Receiver (hidden in the sideboard), connected with a CCA and running Onkyo’s “Pure Audio” mode, to make things a little bit better :slight_smile: Speakers are Teufel Ultima 20 Mk3 bookshelf speakers. If I had to get new gear at the moment, I’d have a Cambridge Audio Evo 150 and better speakers on my mind, but again, as long as it lasts, it lasts … The TV is connected via a CCWGTV but is rarely used for displaying Roon.

Not much to see here, speaker stands are still missing in this picture, as i had to rearrange the furniture lately:

Kitchen, dining room and sleeping room are equipped with JBL Link Music and Google Nest Mini 2 respectively, which provide enough buzz for background listening. In the children’s room, a CCA is plugged into an old Grundig radio, which can be replaced with something better at any time.

Additionally, three different groups of endpoints (All Rooms, Party etc.) are defined within the Google Home App to make them available for other services as well (Plex, Spotify, whatever …)

Roon “management” is done with a Windows 11 Laptop, remotes are two iPhones and an old iPad, which is barely used and collects dust in a shelf. Thinking about adding a WiFi headphone streamer/DAC and proper cans.

Sorry for the long read. This is certainly not for audiophiles, but I just tried to show that it doesn’t necessarily require expensive high-end gear to enjoy Roon and your music across your home on a daily basis :slight_smile: Maybe this also helps taking away some fear of the unknown for people interested in Roon. Oh, and of course I do use ARC intensively as well.

TL/DR: It doesn’t always have to be hi-end/hi-res to have fun with Roon :slight_smile:

Keep on rockin’ in the free world!

50 Likes