Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

Yes it’s Jbl array 1400, I was also blown away when I first heard them, I was so happy with my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 for more then 10 years… and now I can never go back… Next will be Jbl 4367 I think…

1 Like

Well, go listen to these!
(My local dealer, and bring the 1400’s and i’ll buy them! :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Auralic Aries G2.1
Linn LP12 Akurate, Ekos, Ortofon Cadenza Black
Bricasti M21 DAC
Linear Tube Audio Z40+ amp
Sonus Faber Minima Amator 2
Tellurium Q Black Diamond cabling
Box stand
IsoTek V5 Aquarius conditioning

Just awaiting some Black Diamond jumpers, and all will be done. The Roon core is on a SonicTransporter elsewhere. Necessarily using wifi, but the Auralic likes that.

24 Likes

So much love for the Amator series from Sonus Faber! The original Electa Amator was my entry into the world of Hifi. At one point I also owned a pair of the original Minima Amator. The new versions really does respect and evolve what the originals did and I do think they are some of the most beautiful speakers made today.

(My Auralic is on wifi as well, it performs great that way and never had a hiccup)

1 Like

Looks like quite the shelf and platform. Details? Please. Thanks!

Quadraspire SV with bronze upgrade. It’s a relief to no longer have to creep around the room when playing a record!

2 Likes

I love my M21, I don’t see too many folks with one. Have you compared streaming via Auralic vs LAN into the M21?

The jbl 2216nd is pretty special too.

It’s a real shame the array 1400 was discontinued. The vertical waveguides image great.

1 Like

Interesting question and I haven’t made that comparison - I bought the Auralic while waiting for the M21 and other equipment to arrive from the US where I’d been living for some time before returning to the UK. One comparison I have just made, prompted by your question, is between listening to the same track on the Auralic’s Lightning app and Roon, and although it won’t be a popular thing to say here, playing through Lightning makes Roon sound soft and undynamic by comparison. Both use the same file on my wifi network. The same track (Rickie Lee Jones, ‘It Must Be Love’) sounds far more dynamic than either on vinyl, but I suspect that’s down to deliberate reduction in dynamic range during the change of format.

1 Like

I’m a Bricasti M1SE owner very interested in upgrading to an M21. I’ve been waiting for them to achieve Roon Ready certification. Their M1, M3, M5, and M12 devices are Roon Ready, but not yet the M21. (I prefer integrated Streamer/DACs rather than separates.)

The M21 is identified as a M12 to Roon. Bricasti sets the firmware to M12. I directly connect to the M21 via the LAN interface.

I heard the M3 several times and the M21 once before purchasing it. I was interested in how the M1SE sounds, though i never heard it.

2 Likes

It is interesting that Auralics app is worst than Roon. I just thought it was kind of redundant to use the Auralic and Bricasti, when they are both streamers, and it seems like Auralics only benefit is that it has its own app, which you aren’t using and WiFi, which can be solved much cheaper through a wifi repeater bridge (assuming you aren’t using a LAN cable).

I’ve compared LAN, optical and BNC into the Bricasti and both SPDIFs are very similar and the LAN input is superior to both of those. Thus my thought is that it might sound better to directly input into Bricasti’s LAN.

1 Like

Is it a custom firmware they sent you, or does the stock firmware behave this way also?

Honestly, the M1SE sounds excellent to me. I’ve been very happy since I installed it in my system about two years ago.

My interest in the M21 is about the combination of streaming endpoint functionality, delta-sigma conversion, R2R ladder conversion, and 1-bit DSD conversion in a single chassis.

I received my M21 in August and it was already set to M12. My friend bought his M21 about 2 years ago and he asked for it, he stated the process is opening the case and swapping SD card.

My understanding is that Bricasti wants to certify the M21, but they are getting too many orders to spare an extra unit to give to Roon for certification.

I was interested in the M1SE as a close approximation to save money, but then decided that I want the best option and particularly the R2R (I came from the R2R Yggdrasil), so I jumped into the M21. I heard the M21 in Oct 2021, and fell in love right away, it was quite a bit better than the M3. The M3 was tempting but I didn’t think it was enough better than my Yggdrasil to change equipment.

1 Like

? The M3 and M1SE are a streamer + DAC (and pre) in one chassis? You have to opt for the ethernet option, but they offer same/similar capabilities as their bigger siblings - albeit not with all the upgraded power topology and other enhancements. A decked out M1 with MDX etc… is pretty close though.

My M1SE includes a network input. It’s the additional R2R converter and 1-bit DSD converter in the M21 that makes it an appealing upgrade to me.

Tom, I think you misread my last post. I actually wrote that the Auralic app is significantly better in SQ than Roon (Roon through the Auralic, that is, since I haven’t tried directly into the M21).

Gotcha :+1: I considered the M1 pretty heavily, but ended going a different route.

you are correct, i misread it. Now i’m a bit curious is bubleUP to auralic or windows natively sending to Auralic sounds like Roon? When i compared them with Roon to the Bricasti, they sounded quite similar. Though my main reason for roon was the simplicity with sending music to Bricasti and my office.

Hahaha this made my day. Im not the only one!