Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

Those JBL Array 1400’s are super collectable now. Never sell!!
I would love to hear the Array’s one day, apparently the vertical waveguides really provide amazing imaging.

Lovely speakers, with an outstanding bass driver too.

Someone needs to start a JBL/Roon lovers thread, I’m certain there are some amazing JBL’s owned by Rooner’s here. :wink:

1 Like

When I first heard them I was amazed, I was very pleased with my Dynaudio Contour S5.4 for more then 10years, will never sell them, but I wish to find a pair of 4367 that I also like, but they went up in price recently. So looking for a used pair. And yes a JBL thread would be very nice.

2 Likes

The 4367s are lovely heard them a few times.

I run some JBL M2s, I’m very happy with the result, a truely full range speaker, with all the benefits of an active DSP design.

2 Likes

The M2 i have not heard yet. will read about them :slight_smile:

1 Like

it says it requires “One Crown® iTech 5000HD power amp for each speaker,
or BSS® Soundweb London Processor with Crown Macro-Tech® MA-5000i”

Or is it just a recommedation?

Recommendation, there are many Crown amplifiers with DSP, that have the ability to run the OEM JBL M2 IIR tune. IMHO the Crown itech’s/DCi etc are not a good choice, if your amplifiers are anywhere near your listening environment. They have hideous fan noise, and made for commercial applications.

You have additional Crown options lower in the range, that still have the ability to load the OEM tune. From there aftermarket DSP, and processing can be used. 4x discrete channels of DSP & AMP are required.

I went the last route, which I feel produces a superior quality result.

There is a massive DIY following for the JBL M2, and the DSP settings were exported from a BSS processor, and recreated using both IIR and FIR filters, before the filter settings became locked down.

My signal chain is:
Ubuntu/Roon server > Intona 7055b > Motu Ultra Mk5 Multichannel DAC > 2x NAD c298’s.
End game for me.

As highlighted above, I didn’t want to run the noisy Crown amplifiers, so I did a lot of research and grabbed some Purifi 1ET400a module based amplifiers (2x NAD c298). The NAD variants have the added benefit of variable module gain - allowing system gain matching.

My setup is silent with my ear to compression driver.

Some links for you to explore (Maybe PM me with any questions):

JBL M2 IIR & FIR filter settings

IIR/FIR filters were extracted and measured against OEM settings, before Harman locked the processing. Completed by Thomas Drugeon (POS) the creator of rephase.

I personally use the FIR convolution filters, implemented in minimum phase solution, using Roon’s convolution engine. Roon provides a very powerful 8 channel DSP, IIR, FIR engine.
I run native FIR taps with a 1:1 ratio with sampling rate, for very high resolution filters @ 44.1,48,88,96,176,192khz. I have tweaked the tunning a little to my preferences/room.

So using either the IIR or FIR settings you can recreate the OEM JBL filter, no issues.

If you have the capability to DIY cabinets
You should check out all the parts you need here:
JBL M2 parts You searched for jbl m2 - Speaker Exchange

Full build thread on AH, DIY M2 builds

I hope that helps.

4 Likes

Definitely two I would say… otherwise you would only spend half the time and money :wink:

2 Likes

Comedy aside, the M2 system is a 2 way full active solution, which requires a discrete DSP/AMP per driver. So 4x DSP & 4xAMP channels.

2 Likes

Talking about JBL, i will go and pickup a pair of JBL M350 mkII tomorrow, will be perfect to have outdoors during the summer, is PA speaker but will be fun to test :slight_smile: i have a few amps that need to get back to work :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lovely! Ihave a pair of yamahas i bring to the cabin in summertime, great for disturbing the peace! :wink:

1 Like

Hehe, yes… I need to buy a few bottles of wine/whiskey for my neighbours to stay in a good relation with them, is funny what a beer or a glas of wine can do then they come and complain, they sit down and forget why the came in the first place …and just enjoy the music… :grin:

5 Likes

Nice, pro sound (prosumer) speakers can sound excellent with a bit of EQ help.
That’s the benefit of Roon, it enables easy amplitude and phase correction.

I think alot of “audiophiles” would be super impressed with how good a pro sound speaker system can sound in the right hands.

As a side project (when I actually have time) I bought myself a pair of 12" Faital 12pr300’s and B&C de250 compression drivers + Seos12 waveguides. The de250 is a super impressive compression driver IMHO. Should be a great speaker.

1 Like

very impressed, running them in parallel with array 1400, for what I paid it was worth it for sure…super happy for my old junk😁

Will need to get them hooked up to some other amps, will be later, have no space in my retro dungeon

7 Likes

sounds about right

1 Like

How are you able to display what Roon is playing on that monitor?

It’s the 3rd party Roon remote app via the Apple TV (well that’s what I use)

chromecast enable in the roon app with my sony bravia

Bought myself a precision cutter for Christmas. Today I’ve created a Roon logo for my Roon Rock NUC in the Akasi Plato case. This was just a test. I think of redoing it with a more metal-look vinyl. And maybe inverse the logo???

16 Likes

Yep. That should even look better :+1:

Loving that I can finally use the Google Nest Hub
to display album art. Simple fix you just need to select “accessibility” and “screen reader”

15 Likes