No, previously Rel/Quad/Sony subs…
I read the What HiFi review of your speakers - very complimentary
They mention the Dali positioning advice - on stands, out from the wall a bit and straight ahead
I was right ![]()
![]()
If I might ponder a bit
; your system probably now outclasses the JVC sub by a mile, so I’d be wary of it dragging down the Dalis’ performance
I’d have a REL on my radar… ![]()
(If you need a sub at all in your room)
Regards
Andy
@SandsOfArrakis Maybe an early Christmas?
Well the Dali stands are on the way. The courier
usually arrives here around lunchtime so I will be doing some setting up in the afternoon.
The JVC sub does seem to be a little underpowered but that’s okay.
I’m living in an apartment block with rather thin walls so volume has to be on the low side and the sub for me is more about providing a little more lows without going too far.
I had a velodyne DD15 before I got my Rel’s, have mentioned it before sometime in the last five years on this forum, much prefer Rel.
I’ll keep them in mind. Christmas has already been early this year and it has been a really expensive one so far ![]()
Interesting, I happen to own the same speakers as @PixelPopper. I moved my audio to the attic where I am fine-tuning my dedicated listening room. So far I am loving the audible improvements (so much more detail and tighter bass response), therefor I am very interested to explore the subwoofer subject.
I live in a terrace - but the walls are so thin it may as well be a tent…
so I fully understand your constraints
Luckily for me, Sound volume is not my objective , I rarely listen above 70dB.
I’m sure almost everyone here has sound quality as a top 3 (5?) objective - and you’ll have noticed the consistency of ‘get a good sub’ posts
Good bass is fundamental to quality - and I’d expect the quality of your new Dali bass far exceeds the quality of the JVC sub (was it part of a sub/Sat or sub/sound-bar system?)
I’d anticipate that, once the Dalis have run in (100 hours ish) you might switch the JVC off, and leave it off ![]()
Top tip I learned years ago for neighbour friendly break in - put the Dalis out of phase and put them facing each other, say 5cm apart. They will cancel each other out so they will play quietly, you can leave them running 24 hours without being antisocial
Add images
I’m building some new bass speakers
4x 10” drivers in each cabinet
I ran the drivers in for 7x24 hours like that, out of phase and running a 20-100hz sweep alternating with a 5 min pink noise tone
I could run them at what would have been VERY LOUD MAN!!
levels without upsetting my other tent dwellers
Why run two 4x10 bass speakers at 70dB?
Sound quality - not just the bass, but soundstage, mids, treble - everything ![]()
![]()
Wow… inventive trick
Sounds nice, how large is the cabinet? pls post the finished photos (and the while working) ![]()
When I was still living at my parents place. I’ve received my good old Rank Arena speakers from my dad as a gift. These speakers have been with me for nearly 30 years and only yesterday they have been replaced by the Dali’s.
I’ve bought the JVC sub years ago as a compliment to the Rank Arena’s. It was never part of a set of speakers or sound bar. It was a standalone purchase.
I’ve taken a look at the backside of the sub, and it seems it is doing around 30 Watts as output. Which is lower than the Dali’s are capable of. So I’ll see how it goes. By keeping it turned on, or turn it off to see if it makes much difference.
My living room is pretty small, so my guess is I can probably do without.
When it comes to sound quality. I’ve always enjoyed listening to music. But only the last few years did that turn into “a bit more serious”. It’s basically the last 2/3 years that I’ve started looking into hi-res. Before that I was very happy with listening to my old mp3 collection and Spotify.
So my splurging of late has for me been a bit extreme. And I’m not expecting it to do for many years to come. If I can get it right now, and the gear doesn’t die on me, I’ll be using the same gear 10 years from now at least.
2 years ago I decided the same, get an amp with Spotify streaming to update the Sony bought in my 20s. I’m still waiting for the “splurging” to end ![]()
These are the original TacT/Lyngdorf W210 bass speakers - sat on top of each other to emulate the W410s - which are something if a unicorn product. I’ve been looking for photos etc for ages, but no luck
I’ve had the W210s for 12 or more years - they’re excellent, but I always fancied those W410s… ![]()
My friend has an excellent workshop with loads of tools including a CNC router. He also runs a Lyngdorf 2.2 system and has been looking for some W210s for years
Finally, in January, we committed to build some W410s for me and some W210s for him
I have W210 plans - but they’re slightly different to the actual items. The Vifa drivers are no longer available, but we settled on some SB acoustics drivers. Since this was a ‘fantasy’ project, we improved on the original cabinet design by doubling the baffles to 44mm, adding damping compound between sheets, adding extra bracing, extra joint sealant etc etc
We chose Audioquest Rocket 22 for internal wiring with WBT silver solder and Wilson Audio SST contact enhancer
The W210 idea was quickly dropped- he also wanted W410s ![]()
![]()
Like kids at Xmas we couldn’t wait to load and fire up the cabinets before they were painted…
The result…
‘Kin Ace!!
Bass, naturally, but the heft and slam that can only come from physics
Following RoomPerfect; the integration is superb, the dynamics - eye popping, the slam - chest thumping and the extension - trouser flapping
Ho Ho
They’re due to be painted on Monday, a friend of mine has a car repair garage and he will finish them in satin white
As all four W410s, plus my W210s will be on hand, of course (kids at Xmas…) we’ll be rigging up W810s…
… and we’d be daft not to try W1010s ![]()
![]()
Gorgeous
I can see why
Best life it is the one with friends ![]()
Thanks for the pics
Indeed, we had a terrific week; discussing, planning, building, mistaking
, learning, laughing, boozing - and fulfilling a dream
Magnificent project and outcome - do it if you can…
My setup is complete ![]()
From top to bottom
-
My good old LG TV. Still going strong after many years

-
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-ray drive
-
Marantz Melody X M-CR612
-
Audiotrak Prodigy Cube 24/96 Black Edition. Next to the Marantz. It’s the USB sound card connected to the MacBook.
-
Cambridge Audio CXNv2
-
2017 MacBook Air which acts as hub for watching TV and streaming HBO, Amazon Prime, Curiosity Stream and YouTube on the TV. I’m watching Star Trek - Picard at the moment.

I’m controlling the MacBook through wireless keyboard and mouse. -
Dali Spektor 2 (White Edition) speakers standing on Dali E600 (White Edition) stands.
-
Good old JVC subwoofer to the far right.
The sounds coming from the Dali’s have improved by lightyears ![]()
Much better with the stands.
Enjoy!
Those stands must make a big difference. ENJOy your music !









