Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023]

Excellent!

Love the tube set in the Almarro mono blocks. Those Russian MIG tubes are pretty hard core. I’m sure they sound great.

The Nad 3030 was the very first separates amplifier, that
I purchased. However, after building a 3 way kit speaker (The Compacts from Badgersound in St.Anne’s, U.K), I found out it’s limitation. When I connected up using a Sansui SR222 MkV turntable, there was no Bass :disappointed_relieved:. I took the speakers to bits, convinced I had made some stupid fundamental error, in assembly. Nope, everything checked out, still no Bass :disappointed_relieved: It was only when I took the speakers round to a friends, who had a Quad 44/405 system, that I realised the speakers were fine, but the Nad 3030 had limitations!
Anyway, the next week I bought myself a new Quad 44/405 system, which just happened to be in a sale, in a shop in Blackburn (the place with all the holes - Beatles song). So all ended well. :blush:
P.S. By the way, that was 44 years ago, does time not fly!

5 Likes

Listen long and prosper.

3 Likes

It does fly, I remember the 405 coming out when I was still at school back in ‘75 .
Hi-fi mags back then were all about measurements, and the occasional kit builds.

1 Like

Well I’ve placed both speakers the same distance from the TV. But I don’t hear any difference whatsoever. :slightly_smiling_face:

May the music be with you.

1 Like

Sit back and enjoy your great system.

With my system it was the images outside the speakers that changed the most with that last tiny adjustment. All rooms and speakers are different though , mine are omni directional so in theory it shouldn’t have made that much of a difference but it did.

1 Like

Sometimes it not about the sound, but the slight OCD of wanting it all equal and central … :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes , @SandsOfArrakis , leave the speakers where they are and move the table a bit to the right. :wink:

1 Like

As long as you have a well defined central image E.g. typically the singer should sound clearly in the middle, behind the speakers, probably with drums behind him/her, often panned to either side - you’re fine

For strong and even bass, you might find moving the speakers towards/away will help - also where you sit; ears around tweeter level, try moving towards/away from the speakers to even out the bass response - if you play some really bass heavy stuff (say, Pendulum, In Silico) and you find the bass overwhelming (or too thin or uneven) then move your head backwards and forwards

Speakers closer together will increase mid bass, too far apart and the central image will become more diffuse (I know you don’t have much wiggle room)

You could experiment with toe-in ie. angle the speakers towards where you’re sitting (same angle for each) that might increase treble and/or change the width of the soundstage

I use a playlist of Reference tracks for checking different aspects

Oh, and note your speakers are new, they’ll loosen up and change tone over the first 100 hours or so

Lots of lovely tweaking :nerd_face::+1:

3 Likes

I have a ‘things lining up’ issue :nerd_face::+1:

4 Likes

Happy now? :wink:

9 Likes

They were certainly different times to now, I can remember owning several versions of the 44, 405, 405-2, 419, 34, 306, FM4, 66, 606 & FM66. :blush:. I know of persons who have upgraded the 44 and 405, by using superior components. Apparently, this has made quite an improvement on the original Quad specification.
I remember when the Quad 63 Electrostatic was released and first demonstrated at the Harrogate HiFi show. It was ticket only and at the end of the 3 track demonstration, everybody stood up and gave a standing ovation. I cannot see that happening these days :blush:

Dali speakers are well known for being very forgiving about positioning and off axis listening.
It was the reason I originally bought my Oberon 5s as I could not position them in a place for perfect listening.
So now you can relax and enjoy all your new audio gear :+1:

5 Likes

Looks great !

1 Like

Thank you for accommodating our OCD! Would you mind leveling the stacks of DVDs?

3 Likes

Very nice setup indeed!

The Monk in all of us :joy:

2 Likes