Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2024]

@hk6230

That old school clock is way cool.

1 Like

Is it Roon Ready? :wink:

I don’t think so since it’s analog :rofl:

Bit of a change at Menzies Mansion.

Out go the Sonos Fives and the stand-by HomePods.

Not high end but it suits me and my needs.

• Onkyo CR-N755 (2nd hand for less than £50)
For CD duties this little box is suffice

• WiiM Pro (into the Onkyo via optical)
For Roon duties amongst other options

• Wharfedale Evo 4.1s
Chosen based on hearing them a year ago and liking there tonal balance and dynamics. Reviews don’t rate them well. Each to their own tastes. Also required was either forward ported speakers or, as in this case a downward firing passive radiator due to positioning requirements. I originally had a pair of Diamond 9.1s before they were made in China. I have owned the China made ones too, back in 2020. Always liked their shape.

These have AMTs and I was dubious based on room size if these should have been the 4.2s with the mid dome driver. Time will see.

The wife isn’t welcoming of floorstanding speakers (even though these take up the same space). I feel if I was going past the cost of £700, I’d go for other options. These are only £450.

The stands are budget, but heavy duty steel. With cable management they look good. Small, low profile rubber acoustic pads are stuck to the top plate. I knew Wharfdale supply some, but they are too tall for the look I wanted.

This system is likely to end up in the man cave. Although on first listening with some well known tracks I like what I hear. Hopefully things will get better. The wife is yet to find a side unit to sit below the TV, when she does the high end, pine table will go :sob:. The system will be hidden away.

If it remains in situ, and I feel extra bass depth is needed, the Onkyo has a sub output.

Having tinnitus, lately a little worse in the left ear, I feel spending more is not beneficial.

Head-fi station is right next to me, with the other hideous table.

For now, CDs are stored out of sight (wife’s OCD). The ‘I :heart: M20’ bag was purchased at the same time as my last charity shop haul of 93 CDs.

To be continued…

21 Likes

I guess your wife would go nuts if you were to visit my place :innocent:

This is the thing. She’s given the green light for a large CD shelving unit to go in her office/my man cave. Out of sight from guests coming around. I don’t get it. OCD for others views is nuts in my book.

For a happy (ish) marriage :wink:, I sometimes go with what she says/wants. Her thumb is over my head but I keep the pressure off. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll see what you’re doing, going the right direction me thinks…
I guess the question for yourself: what is the best listening location in the mansion? Your decision on the system components (and the negotiations to get there) can be planned accordingly.
My dearest was/is against components and cables in sight.
The speakers are a component of the room in her view and judged as such; do they fit for color, size and positioning.
So my components (arcam SA 30 for the music and AV receiver for video/tv) are out of sight - the speakers are not! Since I do not use physical media, also no racks or such in sight.
We talked about my wishes and her ideas about them. Came to the above conclusions and now we both had fun realizing it.
Beside the lay out of the sitting area, we also have sound systems in the dining area and on the attic, arranged in the same way, the latter the least compliant…
succes mate, may the force be with you… (did I just type that…) :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looking good, but what about the thoughts about replacing the Onkyo/WIIM Pro combination with a WIIM Amp and removing a box and adding the potential os a Sub Woofer with active high pass :grin::face_with_peeking_eye:

Edit: you would also have to buy a CD transport as well :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I guess a Cambridge Evo with accompanying CD transport will take care of all Menzies wishes. Although his wallet will likely think otherwise…

3 Likes

One has had similar thoughts already. :wink:

2 Likes

Currently outside my realms of WAF. :pensive:

1 Like

WAF on price I assume, as it looks quite nice.

1 Like

Partially that. She seems to think we need money to feed the kids and put clothes on their backs. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

What a waste!

2 Likes

It’s worse, she’s a child protection solicitor, so I guess I’m screwed. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

She shouldn’t need your money then!

2 Likes

Anyways, money technically isn’t my concern. Based on current hearing issues, I don’t think spending more will give me any greater joy from listening to music.

This current setup should achieve, at max a 87dB potential at the listening area based on

The Onkyo has 22wpc into 6ohms
These speakers are 87dB/1w/1m into 8ohms
So

I sit 4 meters away
So

I generally listen at a max of 75dB.

Currently peaking at 60dB at the listening position as waiting for those who sleep, to sleep. Then I can venture into 70dB territory.

2 Likes

Reliable, accurate and one AA battery lasts forever. :grin:

1 Like

I also like the media being not seen. I keep all mine in a separate room where the door can close and keep it all out of sight. The audio gear is visible, but you can’t see anything to play on it. :rofl:

3 Likes

Exactly the same scenario here, also all cd cases removed in favour polythene sleeves which saves a lot of space (still have 9 metres of CDs though)…

5 Likes