Signal path issue

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS 251

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WIFI

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chord Qutest

Description Of Issue

Hi,

On trial at the moment. Would love to try and get a problem sorted before purchasing Roon.

I’ve noticed an issue with Signal path when playing back music from my NAS drive as the Core. The music is streamed via my Cambridge Audio CXN2 player and I’m using Chord Qutest as a DAC. I’m using an Audioquest Diamond TOSLINK optical cable to connect between the Qutest DAC and the CXN2 streamer.

The issue is that when playing back 192 or 96khz tracks the sample rates conversion reduces to 48khz. This has happened with several albums. The signal path is described as High Quality, I guess it should say Lossless if it was actually playing 192 or 96khz? I’m also guessing that anything higher than 48khz, eg 176 or 88 etc will always reduce to 48, but dont have any files to try out.

Any help gratefully received, thanks

It seems that Roon is streaming to the Cambridge Audio CXN2 player via the unit’s built in Chromecast support. According to this section of the Roon Knowledge Base Chromecast : “Chromecast Audio supports high-resolution music (up to 96kHz/24-bit), while other Chromecast devices support a sample rate up to 48kHz.” Which explains why the signal path is showing 48kHz and high quality.

By the way, I have both regular Chromecast and Chromecast Audio devices and when I stream a 96kHz to each device I get the following:

For the regular Chromecast the signal path shows as “high quality” with the sample rate being converted to 48kHz, as is indicated in the Roon Knowledge Base section linked above.

For the Chromecast Audio the signal path shows “lossless” and is the full 96kHz, again as is indicated in the Roon Knowledge Base section linked above.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_Wynne,

Can you share screenshots of the Signal Path and Device Setup?

Hi Ralph,

Sorry been out and about and didn’t see your post till now. Thanks for your reply.

Hi @dylan

Thanks for reply

Please see two screenshots as below

For me it’s ok.

CNX2 use Chromecast built in (different to google chromecast audio), which is limited to 24/48

Hi ComasSky,

Thanks for reply, hoping @dylan has a solution which might overcome this problem:smiley:

@Kevin_Wynne Unfortunately I think there are no solutions … the limit is set by the Cambridge and the Google Chromecast protocol :confused:

Hi @ComasSky,

Thanks for reply.

Oh well, I suspect you are right unfortunately.:frowning_face:

Hi @dylan.

Sorry about this naive (eg lack of knowledge) question, but I’ll ask anyway.

Am I ultimately restricted by the CXN2’s built in Chromecast limit of 24/48, or is there any other method or workaround I can use within my existing set up to achieve 24/96 or 24/192 etc?

Use a raspberry with Hifi hat (allô digione for exemple) and Roopie XL.

And send coaxial signal output to Cambridge coaxial input.

~150€

Hi @ComasSky,

Thanks for the reply, but I want to stay within my existing set up which serves me well outwith Roon, never mind the additional cost of £150 which I don’t want to have to fork out.

I’ll wait for @dylan to get back to me with his comments on the screenshots that he asked for,and my question asking him if there is any other method or workaround within my existing set up.

@Kevin_Wynne No problems ! :slight_smile:

CNX support Google Cast (limited to 24/48) & UPNP (unlimited = 24/192), but roon does not support UPNP.

So, imho, the only solution is to add a roon bridge, lowcost solution (but greate solution) is to use Ropiee :slight_smile:

Waiting for @dylan response :slight_smile:

I’m fairness if roon covered all your listening needs you could ditch the Cambridge entirely and just use a Device like the ropieee (or something other pi based product) via usb straight into your chord DAC.

This would yield better sound quality and access to much higher sample rates (and I believe the chord can do some DSD can’t it?)

You could then move on the Cambridge as it would be completely superfluous in such an arrangement.

True !

The easiest way is to sell the cambridge and connect the DAC Chord to the Raspberry by USB

For awesome quality (your dac deserve it ! ), use Allo USB Bridge

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/network-audio-players-allo/allo-usbridge-black-acrylic-audio-media-player-squeezelite-dietpi-roon-interface-for-usb-dac-p-12073.html

https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge.html

This is the complete pack (raspberry + allo + SD card)

Just flash Ropiee, configure it, and you can use all formats)

I’ve never seen the point in such devices myself. Most good modern DACs take into account the kinds of devices they’ll be attached to. My amp has galvanic isolation and a reclocking circuit. The chord should be similarly well equipped. The idea of an “audiophile” usb output seems like a good way to take peoples money off them.

I have never detected any audible difference to the sound quality no matter what kind of USB device was attached to my amplifier, up to and including high end digital transports.

USB Audio was designed to get around a lot of this nonsense, and yet the high and makers and audiophile community quickly found ways to part people with more money. The very idea of an audiophile USB cable is bonkers. It is literally impossible for the data that arrives at your DAC not to be identical to the data that left your computer, as long as any basic cable meeting the standard is used (and even that would be a luxury). Yet there are companies out there charging hundreds of not thousands for cables that often come free in a box.

The noise issue, well if you’re going to go down that route, you better make sure your hifi is also isolated from your TV, your router, your games console, and probably all the noisy mains items in your house (like fridges and microwaves) all which spew far worse noise into your system than a USB connection will.

Hi @Kevin_Wynne,

As noted by others above, the signal path you’re seeing here is expected when using Chromecast streaming. Unfortunately this is not something that can be changed.

Hi @ComasSky, @David_Crosbie1.

Thanks for trying to provide me with a solution. You guys appear to be in a different league to me technically. Is the Raspberry/Allo set up pretty much plug and play? I would be loathe to get rid of my CXN2 but am intrigued by what you guys are proposing.

I checked out the two links for the Allo Usbridge and both are unavailable. Have emailed Allo asking if they intend to have stock available soon

@ComasSky - is the Allo the only option I have here, or are there other comparable options that you could recommend?

Appreciate response. Thanks for confirming @dylan

In your setup, CNX is just a stream box (RoonCore => CXN => Chord), it’s overkill, and not full bitperfect (limited to 24/48).

Ropiee is very easy to use, it’s a free “Ready to play” solution which implement Roon RAAT protocols…WIth Ropiee, the only limit is your DAC capabilities.

Buy a Raspberry PI3B+, flash Ropiee with Etcher software on SD Card (https://ropieee.org/software/).

SD Card : shorturl.at/cyWY9
Raspberry PI3B+ : shorturl.at/byKW0
Power supply : shorturl.at/zAOP8

Connect CXN USB to Raspberry USB

Boot the raspberry, go to webpage : http://ropieeexl.local/ ,enable USB device, and set parameters (wifi if you use wifi, name of the endpoint etc etc).

Just add audio device on Roon

In this case the USB DAC is Meridian, in your it will be Chord

And you will can be able to stream to DAC Chord with USB capabilities : 32-bit/768 KHz et DSD512 bitperfect

You can let Raspberry on 24/24, it will consume only 5w, ~5€ / year

Allo USB bridge is not necessary, it’s a bonus, but the impact is not really impressive.

1 Like