Signal path issue

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice one!

And you can sale your Cambridge, so money money :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I still like the look of it though, it’s aesthetically very pleasing and it is a nice companion to my other equipment. There will be a gaping hole but I will get round to selling it eventually!:smile:

1 Like

Hi @ComasSky and @Mike_O_Neill.

The other day I randomly came across an audio site that had a review of Allo Digione. It suggested that adding the Digione transport to the Pi, and then connecting via coaxial to a DAC player blows the basic Pi connected directly to DAC out of the water. A few other audio sites I read also agreed that the Digione was a worthwhile step up in quality from just the basic Pi. Another audio site also seemed to suggest that USB (which I use to connect Pi to DAC) was not the ideal connection to have, apparently better to use Coaxial which the Digione provides

Mike, did you detect a great improvement by adding in the Digione to your setup?

As you know my setup is Pi connected directly to Chord DAC via USB, so I was thinking adding the Digione might be a decent upgrade to pursue, be interested to hear both of you guys thoughts on this.

Cheers

Hi @ComasSky and @Mike_O_Neill

Have you guys any thoughts on my last post, be interested to hear your input, thanks

Hi !

As i said some post before, USB offers more supported formats, but is, according to some opinions, less audiophile.

Other tests show that there is no real impact (with purely technical measures).

My conclusion, you have to try, but according to me the difference is clearly in the order of detail, I do not believe in “it changes everything”).

Note that you will lose the DSD format with the coaxial

Hi , thanks for reply.

Yes, I think we agreed a while back that the preference between USB or coaxial was purely down to our own ears.:smile:
That was not the main point of my post though, that was to try and determine whether adding the Digione to the setup would lead to a noticeable step up in sound quality, regardless of what audio connector was used.
I know @Mike_O_Neill has the Digione in his setup so has heard it with his own ears, so be interested to know if he thinks it is a worthwhile investment. Have you actually heard the Digione in action @ComasSky, even if you have not are you able to make an informed opinion whether it would make an improvement to my set up? Thanks.

I use the Digione with my ropiee ! Works very great and awesome sound …but better than USB + DAC ? … i don’t know … and i am not personally convinced that the change is so huge

Interesting, so if we agree USB and coaxial are fairly equal for sound quality, that reads to me that you are saying that the Digione has pretty much no influence on the sound quality here at all, and if so what the hell does it actually do? :rofl:

It allows to output a digital signal on a Coaxial output.

Most amps have coaxial inputs, but few have USB connectors.

The coaxial format is specific to audio, the usb is not.

ok, thanks. I just assumed it did more than just provide a different method of how to connect to an amp or DAC, and was actually some kind of audio
upgrade to the basic Pi. I’ll read the articles again.

This article on the Digione is interesting, especially this statement

“The relevance for audio enthusiasts, especially those with more revealing hifi systems fronted by a DAC, is how the €35 Raspberry Pi’s poor-sounding on-board USB output can be completely side-stepped. A HAT moves the digital audio signal upstairs for re-clocking and, hopefully, to also leave electrical noise behind”

My choice of the Digione centred around a problem with my DAC, USB is limited to 24/96 whereas coax gives full 24/192

I am 69 my hearing aint what it used to be so i am not sure theres a discernable difference.

The Pi3 shares power on USB and ethernet , the Pi4 overcomes that limit

Its a personal listen decision , i am not sure i would even spot it

Thanks for the reply Mike, really appreciate it.

Ok, so in your case you are using the Digione because of restrictions related to your DAC,and not for SQ reasons, and it is therefore obviously a useful upgrade for you.
In my case I would be looking for sonic improvements, which the review I posted suggests I would get from the Digione as the reviewer is of the opinion the Pi’s USB output is poor.

I’ll need to think more about it, because I would not only have to fork out for the Digione, but
would also need to buy a BNC cable as well.

Damn, just sold my CXN V2 last week as well!! :frowning_face: :frowning_face:

Yes i see it.

But imho, your setup is better wiht Ropiee+Chord.

With Cambridge, your Qutest is useless.

I don’t think I’ll ever grasp this.

Both solutions use the Chord, and surely the electronics in the CXN V2 are far superior to the Ropiee?

In your setup, CXN V2 is just an Roon endpoint, exactly like Ropiee.

The connection between Cambridge is Coaxial, Ropeee is USB.

USB offer DSD and max resolution, Cambridge dont

Yes, but 192 is not even 1% of my library collection, or what I have in Qobuz/Tidal. I have no DSD

I have loads of 96 content in library and Qobuz/Tidal, and surely the CXN will translate this content to the Chord better than Ropiee?

CXN electronic is the same quality level as the raspberry.

Some network streamer on the €2000 market are based on raspberry.

In addition, you can activate oversampling in Roon to further improve the quality.

There’s no added value between the CXN and the raspberry, and the money earned from the sale allows you to buy something else :slight_smile: