Signal path issue

Mistakes in wifi credentials, or forgot to save changes :stuck_out_tongue:

ok, I connected via ethernet cable and tried again, thanks for patience.

I managed to get on to website again, and when I clicked on the network tab of ropieee.local it said “scanning for network” but after 10 mins still hadnt found it.

ps, sorry for delay getting back to you, but because I am a new poster I got a message saying I had reached a posting limit and had to wait 40 mins before posting again.

No problems

You must see this :

With all availaible wifi in “Wifi networks” combo list.

Did you “Enable Wifi”, commit changes, and reboot (necessary to enable wifi) ?

I think I have found a solution before you posted - I have connected raspberry via a spare ethernet cable in the room where my hifi equipment is ( this is a different room to where my internet hub is) and the Chord has been detected now. Get back to you soon

If you can use the ethernet network it’s even better! Flow and stability will be much better !

Soooo, it works ? :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi @ComasSky , yes it works, thank you so much!!

PNG4

I can also see on the portal of the DAC that the colour displayed is green, which signifies 96khz. When I was using the Chromecast on the CXN 2 the portal in the DAC showed orange, which signifies 48khz (downsampled from 96khz)

I really cannot thank you enough for helping me arrive at this solution.

Have a "bonne année” , and a fantastic 2020

With pleasure dude !

Enjoy your music :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder if I could ask for a bit of advice here? I have Roon installed on an iMac and it’s connected to my analogue sound system via ethernet/microRendu/Chord Qutest.

As you can see from the signal path, the bit depth is converted to 64bits before being reduced to 32bits. I’m curious to know what’s going on here and whether this is what you’d expect?

Any insights welcome!

Philip

Non problems for me.

You use volume ajustements and dsp, so Roon convert to 64bits for best quality and lossless jobs.

Your dac can decode 32bits (no one dac can decode 64bits, max is 32), so Roon convert 64 to 32 (more than 24 original)

Thank you, Hadrien, for your clear and reassuring reply to my query. Much appreciated!

Just, why use level ajustements + dsp volumes ?

Hi @ComasSky

For your info, I finally got a reply from Allo about the availability of Usbridge.

Hello Kevin,

Usbridge has been discontinued.

We have Usbridge signature player now.

1 Like

Bit late to the debate .

Be aware that the CXN has issues with USB connections with Riopee (not Riopeee’s fault I may add).

The Riopee OS is Linux based and there is a funny in how CA implements USB Class 2 with Linux. Class 1 takes yo to 24/96, you need Class 2 to go to 24/192 (the best the CXN can do) . The CXN in Class 2 mode doesn’t see the USB out of Linux, drop back to Class 1 and it does. there is a big thread on the subject.

It needs a special driver in Windows that CA provides but fails in Linux. I added a Allo Digione to get to 24/192 with the CXN feeding via Co ax , but in doing so you lose all the streamer screen info , its working just as a DAC , which with the Chord you already have.

My CXN is Version 1 and I am not aware they fixed in the Version 2 upgrade. My CXN is rarely used , on for DLNA.

My path is now Roon>RPi > Digione> Audiolab M_DAC > Sennheiser HD800 for serious listening . Sorry for the doom and gloom

Hi, @Mike_O_Neill, welcome to the conversation.

To quote Michael Corleone from The Godfather III - “Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!”

Due to serious technical limitations (lol) that I mentioned earlier in the thread, I’m probably missing the gist of your post, but my CXN 2 is no longer in the loop for my set up now. Then again,perhaps you were just making a general point about the CXN having USB issues with Riopeee?

I am intrigued by Digione which you have attached to your own path. @ComasSky recommended it to me much earlier in the thread, but that was when I was still hopeful of keeping the CXN in my Roon setup (as opposed to going the Raspberry route) so I decided against it.
Getting back to my technical limitations, would introducing Digione into my new setup be overkill, or indeed necessary? Is the Digione just a means of being able to use a coaxial connection to the Chord rather than the USB connection I am currently using from the Pi 3, and if so does it just come down to whether you prefer the sound quality produced by Coaxial to USB? Or is there a guaranteed step up in sound quality by introducing coaxial via the Digione? Finally, I guess it would be a way of getting the CXN back into my setup, but I’m not sure what the CXN’s role would be, if any?

Sorry for the long winded and naive post, and the many questions. And I can almost see and hear @ComasSky let out a frustrated gasp!!:smile:

No problem ! : D

The digione allows to output a Coaxial signal 24/192.

In my opinion, your current setup is better because it uses directly Chord and can read DSD files.

The Digione connected to your DAC Chord would be limited to 24/192

In your setup, I see no use at Cambridge

To summarize :

• USB + Chord Qutest => Full bit perfect with 32-bit/768 KHz & DSD512

• Digione + Chord Qutest => Only 24/192 KHz

• CXN … mmm useless :smiley::smiley:

1 Like

That’s cool @ComasSky

Every day is a school day!! :smile:

Let’s hope I graduate one day haha!

My main source of “serious” listening is on headphones, my main hi fi equipment went in a minimization phase , being replaced with a more WAF Samsung soundbar . The Audiolab M-DAC came in predominantly as a Headphone amp for my Sennheiser HD800 headphones , (and nice it is too) in the absence of any other means of plugging in.

The Audiolab M-DAC USB input is limited to 24/96 , but the CoAx input does 24/192 (this was fixed in the later model)

I originally bought the Rpi and used it via USB thinking to pass the 24/192 from the CXN to the M-DAC , that’s when the saga I referred to raised its head. I gave up and now with the Digione I get 24/192 and pass it directly to the M-DAC. So it was a purchase just to maximise the resolution of hi res recordings.

I have a dual system with JRiver acting as a uPNP (DLNA) server feeding my video streamer and hence HDMI to the sound bar , so while I have the uPNP running I pass an analogue signal from the CXN to the soundbar Aux input for general “background” music. Equally the Samsung Multi-room system runs on DNLA for my Soundbar and a matching satellite R1 speaker.

In essence its JRiver for background, Roon for serious listening and Roon Radio via Airplay to the CXN for background

I do wish I had one system , it makes selection quite complex at times.

I personally do not detect any difference between USB, CoAx and dare I say in AirPlay but I am fast approaching 70 and my Golden Ears are somewhat shot but after all its the music not the equipment at this stage.

One thing I do say is that the RPi - Allo Digione - Riopee solution JUST WORKS …

Hope I didn’t muddy the waters too much

Mike

To complete my post, the coaxial connection would be (according to the purists) more Hifi … but these are really minimal differences (and that would limit you to 24/192, No DSD)

The solution would be to add a USB card like the USBBridge, but considering the cost and the added value …

Dont worry, your current setup allows 100% profitting of the CHord Qutest, which is one of the best dacs on the market.

1 Like

Thanks for your input and insight to your setup @Mike_O_Neill, and no you didn’t muddy the waters too much.

I guess I’m guilty of getting too hung up on sound quality at times, and sometimes have the fear that there is a better solution right in front of me that I cannot see due to my self confessed technical limitations.

I go through phases of searching for the “best new thing” and then settle down for a year or so, I guess I have recently been in one of those phases.
With that said, my current setup sounds fantastic and Roon is a great package, both audibly and visibly - the best I’ve come across and I have used Audirvana and Jriver. The Chord is obviously the “jewel in the crown” of my own setup and even though it performed brilliantly with Audirvana I honestly think the introduction of Roon, the Raspberry/Ropieee, and straight USB connection to the Chord (as opposed to Chromecast or UPnP/DLNA) has taken it to an even higher level. Once more I cant thank @ComasSky enough for suggesting and helping me with Raspberry/Ropieee :grinning:.

Regarding DSD - In my own library I have no access to to anything above 24/192, and even then that is minimal. When I’m not playing vinyl the majority of my listening is done via Tidal and/or Qobuz so nothing there is above 192 to my knowledge either. Then again nothing stays the same for ever, so maybe this time next year we’ll all have access to loads of DSD recordings via these Streaming services.

:ok_hand:

As you can see, Raspberry is not only for “computer whizz kids” :stuck_out_tongue: