Silent Angel Rhein Z1 user experiences & upgrades

I am running its more modest predecessor bought during the Corona lockdowns when prices were significantly lower. And, I am not considering the upgrade.
However, I do see it as competition for the Grimm Audio Mu.

… for those it may concern and can cope with such price levels.

The Z1 (any version) being a very small Linux based platform with silencing etc. built in made me choose this platform. (the original/cheaper version).

Anyway, this was my choice (the original cheaper version), and I am still happy with it.
Anyone else must make their own choice. Bottom line is that its only about the music, not the technology.

@Hans_Van_den_Bent - Sorry Hans, it was not mend as provocative question.

I just trying to understand where the value of this is:

“Der Z1 Plus verbessert die Audioausgabe mit seiner integrierten Rauschunterdrückung und sorgt so für ein kristallklares Hörerlebnis” - “Die EMI-Rauschfiltertechnologie des Rhein Z1 Plus hilft, das Rauschen zu reduzieren”

“The Z1 Plus enhances the audio output with its built-in noise reduction for a crystal clear listening experience” - “The Rhein Z1 Plus’s EMI noise filtering technology helps reduce noise”.

and

“Das Z1 Plus verfügt über zwei Gigabit-Ethernet-Anschlüsse, einen für Netzwerkverbindungen und einen für einen Audio-Player”

“The Z1 Plus has two Gigabit Ethernet ports, one for network connections and one for an audio player”

Torben

Hi Rick,

No offence was registered on my side :wink:

What I have been told is that (apart from looks) the Plus model is a completely new design. My dealer has not received any models yet for an audition. When this happens I will let you know.

For now: please read further here: https://www.silentangel.com/z1-plus/
I know that Roon do not like them because they are in direct competition with the Nucleus. Since you can replicate that easily with a NUC + Rock I see no purpose for such a hardware device by a software company.

Bottom line is that I am happy with the original Z1 V2. Mind you, I am using a Farad Super 3 LPS with that. A super combination.

Kind regards,
Hans

Please do not spread misinformation. Silent Angel violated license agreements by distributing Roonserver software on a commercial product. I’d guess it’s fair to say Roon ‘didn’t like’ that – but with Silent Angel being on the current partner list, it looks like parties have come to some kind of working relationship since.

As for Nucleus competition: ROCK is available for free to roll your own. How’s that for competition?

1 Like

I had the same problems and it’s pretty hard to contact support.

Hi Hans,

I have rhe Rhein Z1 V2 couoled with the DAC from Cambridge Audio DACmagic 200m. This combo sounds great! I bought it based on what you (Hans_Van_den_Bent) have said. I am very happy indeed.

Now rhe Rhein Z1 sometimes cannot find the DAC as a Roon Zone. After I rebooted the server it worked fine again. But I do not want to reboot the server each time I want to listen to music. I would much rather just keep it running.

Is there a hack to solve this?

Cheers,

Harald

My Roon server is running on a Rhein Z1 plus since saturday. It is a litle bit faster then the Mac Mini M2 with 16 gig Ram that I used sofar… My Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 is connected to the Rein by network cable and USB. It sounds and works great. The Lyngdorf has some limitations with DSD files as Roon endpoint that the USB input doesn’t have.

My Rhein has only a small internal SSD so my music is still stored on my Synology Nas. I got a demo model for a nice price from the local dealer.

Hi Harald,
The first year or so I was using the Z1 v2 my TEAC UD-505 lost the USB-connection after every Roon update (other than really minor). Then this bug stopped.
Regrettable, the bug returned two Roon updates ago.
I asked Roon the first time, but since the Z1 v2 is not a supported device …
So we will have to live with this bug (luckily not too often) till it disappears again.

By the way,
I use the old Cambridge Audio Dacmagic plus in my office and instead of upgrading to the 200M I bought a linear power supply for it. It is a MCRU unit (if you forgive their bad service a good mid-price accessory) customized for the Dacmagic. the 24/192 limit is enough for using the max rate in Qobuz and upsampling Higher quality Internet radio. I also recently purchased the external BT-100 Bluetooth apt-X receiver with which I am also happy. But, that is built-into your version.

For the Z1 v2 I bought a high quality Farad super 3 linear power supply (a bit pricey, but this gives It much cleaner performance). I believe this quality is now built into the new Z1 plus (@a price).

Regards, Hans

2 Likes

Hi Harald,
I just saw this American style message above your post
“This is the first time Harald_Schrem has posted — let’s welcome them to our community!”

So, welcome/wilkommen to this community!
Hans (from Holland)

1 Like

Hi Faxe,

Sounds like a great setup. Do you use, and if how, the two Ethernet connections on your plus-model?

Do you now have two streaming options using the Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 DAC? Networ or USB connection?

Regards, Hans

Hi Hans,

Thank you very much for your very fast answer! I will definitively look into the power supplies that you have suggested.

Cherio,

Harald

Hi Hans,

Your very insightful posts sold me on the Rhein Z1. This is a great device as Roon server. Everything sounds so much better now!

My next improvements will focus on power supplies and speakers.

Great to be welcome here!

Cherio,

Harald

I am using both Ethernet connections. One is used to connect the Rhein to my LAN and one is used to connect the Rhein with my Lyngdorf TDAI 3400 (Roon Endpoint). According to my dealer connecting the TDAI 3400 have the same affect as using the Silent Angel Bonn N8 network switch.

Besides using Ethernet my TDAI 3400 is also connected to the Rhein using USB. The USB connection of the Lyngdorf can handle max 384kHz/32 bit + DXD / DSD64 / DSD128 files where the Roon Endpoint connection can handle only max 192kHz / 24 bit and no DSD files (without converting to PCM)

My Z1 v2 USB connection (I do not have a second Ethernet slot apart from the network) goes direct to my TEAC UD-505 DAC. Since Roon sends a RAAT pure bit stream to it & it can process DSD files up to DSD512. It also upsamples alls PCM files (my setting on the UD-505 is DSD512, but that is up to taste).
From the TEAC I use an XLR-out to XLR-in on my simple (pure analog) Cambridge Audio AZUR 851A integrated amplifier (trivia: then to my Stirling Bradcast LS3/6 speakers). I am happy with that chain.

I believe the DSD limit is because of your inbuilt amp dac. All equipment does great (upsampling) PCM 384. DSD in the high numbers is really a matter of taste. So only if you want to hear native DSD in high resolutions like 256/510) I would consider further research.

Hi Harald,
I am NOT going to advise you on speakers :innocent:
These ‘beasts’ are the most personal things (like headphones).
Completely up to taste of the listener. My only motto here is ‘when the music brings you emotion’ it is ok (irrespective of the price, make, model, type, etc…)
Good luck with hunting & listening
Hans

1 Like

I have installed the 30 day trial HQPlayer NAA today. The Desktop app is running on my Mac Mini M2 and HQPlayer NAA on the Rhein. No idea if it sounds better or worse sofar. Going to test it the next couple of days.

Hi Hans,

I fully agree on your point that loudspeakees and headphones are very personal anf basically a matter of taste.

I am surely uo to a very exciting journey! :slight_smile:

Following your writings I gave bought the Rhein Z1 V2 as ny Roon Core Server running into my Cambridge Audio DAC. These investments improved my listening experience very much. I discover now with the help of Roon and Qoduz a lot of music that touches my heart deeply.

By the way, this setup also allowed me to use Roon ARC on my phone to listen to musiv while travelling with my car to work. This alone has improved the sound of the audio 7n my car greatly too!

I could not be happier.

Cheers,

Harald

Hans, can you explain what you mean with the fact that the “High quality of the Farad Super 3 power supply is now built in the Z1 plus”? You expect the Farad power supply will not improve sound quality of the Z1 Plus?

Hi Faxe,
Maybe I should have worded this a bit more accurate.
The plus model has an extra mains filtering module: see https://silentangel.com/z1-plus/
Mains Filter Z1 plus
Mains Filter Z1 plus description

So the Farad super 3 may improve the sound even more, but you must try this in a real listening situation. My older model the Z1 v2 did improve a lot with the Farad, but I do not know how good the ‘plus’ model’s ‘quieting technology’ is.

You could also visit your Z1 plus dealer and try out the Silent Angel linear power supplies Forester F1 (cheaper than the Farad) or Forester F2 (a bit more expensive than the Farad).

Only listening will be ‘the proof of the pudding’
Good luck,
Hans