Silent Angel Rhein Z1 user experiences & upgrades

The Forester F1 is 5v only and the Rhein servers require 12V. So I don’t think you can use this power supply. I live in the Netherlands so I can just order the Farad super 3 from the factory to try if it results in an improvement. Farad is offering a 20 days try out: https://www.faradpowersupplies.com/try-out/

Greetings from Singapore. This is my first post, having started headphone audio hobby in October 2022 and a dummy at tech.

I am very late to the party it seems. Purchased a 3-month old Z1+ from an overseas friend, arrived already set up as Roon server. The Z1+ is fabulous, it makes everything sound fantastic. I powered it with Ferrum Hypsos.

It is connected to my Chord M-Scaler via USB. However, I cannot get it to work via LAN with my Gustard R26, would appreciate help in this, anyone?

1 Like

Hi Billy,
(1) Probably a (few) stupid question(s), did you connect your Roon account to Z1+?
(2) Did you install the Vitos Manager app on your smart phone? There are some options on it concerning the Roon services.

Forthermore, I reserved the ip address (on my router) for my Z1v2. Some recipient streamers, DACs require a fixed address when connected through the network.
Luck!
Hans

1 Like

I’m glad to see this string continue. I am now one year into loving my Rhien Z1. I haven’t had any issues worth speaking of. I transfer files via USB, or I can use File Explorer on my Windows 11 PC. The sound on my Lyngdorf 1120 is fantastic. I’ve upgraded from the SA supplied cable for the connection to the Bon switch to a Wire World Red. Now my whole system is using Wire World network cables.
Roon is running great. The Rhien even made the sound quality on my ARC phone app improve dramatically.
The only issue I have is that people are always trying to break into it. Luckily, I have a firewall on my network that blocks them and notifies me when it happens.

1 Like

Hi Hans! I’m your subscriber and fan, thank you for the videos and for responding to me here. There is no silly question, only silly people don’t ask questions and pretend to know only to mess up. My responses:

I am a tech and electronics dummy so friend I bought the Z1+ from already installed and set it up to be Roon server for me. The first instinctive thing I did was connect the Z1+ to my normal network switch on my desk. My MacBook’s dock also connects to this switch (switch got internet/wifi from a long cable to the router in the living room) but we couldn’t find the Z1+ from Roon on my Mac, VitOS and Manager also can’t find the Z1+.

So I took a mesh (I have 3 in the house) from another room and connected the Z1+ to the mesh and it works. My MacBook Pro that’s connected to the switch is able to find the Z1+, VitOS and Manager via wifi on my iPad Pro or IPhone all can work with the Z1+.

1. Z1+ is setup as my Roon server (lifetime membership), I use my iPad or iPhone via VitOS and Manager. I also use Roon on my MacBook Pro to the Z1+.

2. I tried clicking here and there and there no option that can lead me to select the R26.

I had tried different configurations but couldn’t get the R26 to work via LAN with the Z1+. I had tried these and maybe more:

A. Z1+ to mesh. Z1+ direct to R26 LAN, can’t work.
B. Z1+ to Mesh. R26 to same mesh’s second slot, can’t work.
C. Z1+ to switch, switch to mesh, R26 to switch, can’t work.

Before this, I subscribed to Roon monthly and use my MacBook Pro to connect to the R26 via LAN and it was wonderful. Now, I hope the R26 will work via LAN with a he Z1+. Thanks for helping

Hi Billy,

Regrettably I cannot replicate your problem because I have no LAN-attached DAC.
My main DAC is connected directly with my Rhein Z1 v2 with a USB cable.
I can imagine a setup with USB to the mscaler and from the mscaler to your DAC also with USB.

In my office another DAC is connected with a Windows PC running Roon remote. This connection is also with a USB cable. The DAC needs a driver on the windows 10 pc and works well.

I have no experience with the Gustard R26, a DAC using R2R and not DElta Sigma like my DACs.
My only network setup is the Rhein itself as Roon server attached to the network. Roon remote on my pc’s can find this server on the network. Make sure that the Rhein does not have the old network address from your friend, but your address.

A physical network cable will work point to point, but the Rhein will not be visible to other devices on the network if the address is in another range.

Just some guesses and assumptions from me.
Maybe any one else in this community have ideas?

Good luck,
Hans

1 Like

Hi Hans!

Thanks for trying to help, I hope someone else with experience and expertise in this can provide some help. As of now, this is what I do:

1. Plug the USB in and out every time I want to change from M-Scaler/TT2 to R26 or to another DAC.

2. I leave the M-Scaler connected to the Z1+ via USB and connect to R26 or other DACs via Coaxial or Optical.

It’s a pity because I remember when I was using my MacBook Pro to R26 via LAN using Roon, the sound quality improved by a lot compared to using USB. It’ll be wonderful to hear how good the R26 can be if I can get it to work via LAN with the Z1+. Perhaps I can subscribe to another software/app like Audirvana from my MacBook Pro via LAN to the R26? Would this be another way to go?

Also, a friend who is in IT will come by my place to check my network when he travels here next and I hope that he can identify if there’s a network problem and solve it.

Hi Billy,
Please have a look at this information:

5. Ethernet Ports:
The Z1 Plus features two Gigabit Ethernet ports, one for network connectivity and one for an audio player.
Maybe the Gustard will work when ethernet connected to the Rhein?

BillyKueekSG,

What do you mean with Mesh? A mesh wifi network setup?

To solve the problem you have to make things as simple as possible.

Can you try to connect your Rhein Z1+ to a switch and connect your macbook to the same switch?

Can you in Roon now access the Rhein Z1+?

If this is working connect you can connect the R26 to the Rhein Z1+ using the network connection.

Also make sure the R26 is Roon ready. This video shows you have to update the firmware: https://youtu.be/BU4C9jUUdYQ?si=IkWuNNJgZ8SYiTit

At the Roon site I don’t see the R26 as Roon ready.

Hi, this week I bought a second-hand Rhein Z1 V2 with a built-in 2 TB SSD hard drive.

Unfortunately, I have not yet managed to access the data hard drive via a Windows PC or a mac (I have already tried various PCs) to remove the music already on the device and copy my music to the device instead.

Access to the device via Windows Explorer (or also via a Mac) is protected by the combination of user and the corresponding password. According to the instructions in the VitOS Manager app for accessing the device via a PC by entering the IP address, no access data should actually be required to access the data hard drive, right? Or is there something like a default user and a default password? Or is it possible to reset VitOS to the factory settings?

Would be great if someone could help me!