Sluggish Performance. Large Collection

Okay, have a new version of SongKong to download and install, build date should say now 01/Aug/2023
Please ensure run Delete all metadata except Acoustid Data in Jaikoz
Then load Mozart folder songs in SongKong and run Fix Songs against it three times then run Create Support Files

Done. Support files being created and uploaded now.

Thanks, have reviewed and detected a couple of issues, fixed and have a new version of SongKong to download and install, build date should say now 02/Aug/2023

• Please ensure run Delete all metadata except Acoustid Data in Jaikoz
  • Then load Mozart folder songs in SongKong
  • Select Fix Songs
  • New step Temporarily disable Update from Discogs and Search For Discogs (this is just to simplify processing so I can focus on the matching to MusicBrainz)
  • Start Fix Songs
  • Rerun Fix Songs task once more
  • Run Create Support Files

Support files on their way…

Great thankyou

So in the previous SongKong version we matched mostly to song only and we matched 417 in first run to album

Then on second run we matched 1,713 to album

However on that second run no folders were split but songs were matched to original albums or the boxset225 option which is split to into more manageable volumes rather than the correct boxset, which is incorrect really if you want to match to the original boxset

With new version we match 421 on first run

and still have 421 after second run

So it is correct that it is not matching these other albums, but disappointing that we are not matching more to the correct album, I will investigate further

But it does bring up the question with boxsets of whether it is better to match to original boxset, or original albums or other boxsets and there is a ppossible improvement I considered making to SongKong to make this an option - see SongKong - Issues - jthink

Thank you, Paul. I greatly appreciate all the hard work. Roon should hire you to sort out their identification process.
Should I be doing anything to my Roon Server files now, or just wait for further improvements?

Please just wait for now whilst i have a think.

Hi, okay I think I have found the issue that was preventing as many tracks being matched as I expected, so please give it a go.

• Uninstall current version, download and install, build date should say now 03/Aug/2023
  • Please ensure run Delete all metadata except Acoustid Data in Jaikoz
  • Then load Mozart folder songs in SongKong
  • Run Fix Songs
  • Rerun Fix Songs task once more
  • Run Create Support Files

Regarding Roon issue, am I right in thinking it had finished processing, and the problem just started when added Various Artists folder. Or was there problems with original artists as well but it eventually completed?

Don’t do yet because once we have solved Mozart issue I would like to check the results from applying SongKong to Various Artists folder , but I would be tempted to remove Various Artists folder from Roon and then restart to see if completes after a short time. If it does then I would add SongKong processed Various Artists sub folders to Roon one at a time, and ensure Roon completes processing before adding next folder.

If, even after removing Various Artists folder Roon does not stop its processing then would have to consider would it be worth starting all over again with Roon, with fresh install and and adding original artist albums one letter at time and monitoring it.

The reasoning behind this is maybe having added a particular file to Roon its (bad) metadata is clogging up the roon database even if its folder later removed. If you start again with an empty database this should ensure you have a smaller and hence faster database with no unneccessary information.

Named artists (all 214,000 tracks) completed in 36 hours. Fingers crossed, but that directory seems to be OK.

Adding a folder at a time with Various Artists resulted in generally slower performance the more directories I added. When I got to the _QR directory things got quite slow; I added _S and it never completed. I disabled it and then enabled _T (leaving _UV, _WX, and _YZ disabled). That never completed. I have now disabled both _S and _T and have enabled _UV, _WX, and _WZ “just to see.” That’s going very slowly as well. This is where Roon is after the last restart of the server 4 days ago:

This is actually a bit strange, since the newly enabled directories (_UV, _WX, and _YZ) have a total of only 4,786 tracks according to Roon.

One other item is the Mozart Boxset directory, which I created once you pinpointed it as being particularly problematic, into which I moved all of the 200 CD boxset. The Mozart Boxset directory has always been disabled in Roon.

One more thing. The 8/3 version of Song Kong is running on the Mozart Boxset directory now. I re-enabled Discogs - hope that’s OK.

Makes me think that you hit some sort of tipping point, and even though you disabled things the damage was already done. I don’t know the internal workings of Roon but thing is it seems to me that when you add new files to Roon you are not just adding new files, you are also cross referencing the metadata in each song against the metadata already in the database and perhaps because songs were matched against so many compilations this was increasing the total size of the metadata considerably.

Okay because that didn’t take long I would be tempted to start completely again. Throw away existing Roon install, then reload Named artists in one go, then try the revised Various Artists directory (with the better SongKong matching) starting one sub-dir at a time and see how it goes.

You could do the Named artists part now I suppose, then hopefully you can play the bulk of your music within a couple of days, But best not to add Various Artists until I have reviewed I’m actually away this weekend so wont be able to do much more now until next week.

But I will be able to review this, it is okay that you have renabled Discogs.

So I remove all metadata except Acousid from the named artists folder on my Roon server using Jaikoz, correct? Then run Song Kong twice?

No, I dont think you need to do that for Named artists, perhaps just run it through SongKong once to improve the metadata a bit. The key thing is throwing away your Roon install to make sure you have a empty pristine database.

Good new, just looked at your latest support files

On first run it matched 2,961 files out of 2,981 files to the correct Mozart boxset

The only folders it did not match were folders 100 and 160, there was no improvement with second run.

I will look into to see the reason for those two folders not matching, but we could move onto Various Artist folders now, if you would like to scrub the metadata with Jaikoz, run SongKong against it and send support files.

I’ll skip the Mozart Boxset this time - but scrub all other various artists folders and then run Song Kong on these same folders once, then send support files, correct?

Sorry meant to say run twice, but yes.

OK… Will run twice then.

Sorry this took so long, but support files are on the way.

Running Song Kong on Named Artists on the Roon Server now. Will run it a second time, and then will do the same thing on Various Artists on Roon Server. I’ve stopped Roon server while this is underway.

-Okay if you are going ahead with this then you need to delete your Roon server database not just stop Roon and then restart.
-Just to clarify the plan was to replace the Roon Various Artists with the backup Various Artists. If you are not going to replace it then you need to empty the Roon Various Artists with Jaikoz first.

Looked at your support files for Various Artists, look much better than previously

After first run 52% matched to MusicBrainz, and 67% matched to MusicBrainz or Discogs album

After second run this had increased slightly to 57% and 68%

Importantly these are proper album matches, songs in one folder have not been split into multiple compilation albums like they were originally

There are a few minor things I will look at properly next week but nothing to stop you proceeding with setting up new roon database.