Sluggish Performance. Large Collection

Here’s what I’ll be doing:

• Run Song Kong on Roon Server Named Artists twice with Roon Server stopped.
  • Start Roon Server.
  • Disable all Various Artists directories.
  • Backup database. Delete database.
  • Wait for next Song Kong update, then run it twice on the Various Artists backup directories.
  • Send support files. Wait to see if there’s another Song Kong Update.
  • Run “final” updated Song Kong on backup Various Artists directories.
  • Replace Roon Server Various Artists tracks with the backup tracks.
  • Open Various Artists Directories to Roon Server one at a time
  • Pray

Ok, except i dont understand 2 start roon server, if doing that to backup roon i would do that as 1.

I recall you saying you are using USB hard drives. Perhaps the sheer number of files you have is putting too heavy an IO strain on that limited bus and contributing to your performance issues. You really may want to try SATA connected drives or even a big NVME ssd.

Well, I found how to destroy the old database, and did so. They said it would be “destructive,” and that it was. I had to find a codec to install in the server, then re-enter all of my login information, tell Roon where to find the music, and much more. But that is almost done now (Roon hasn’t found my playlists yet, for example), and so far I’ve already imported nearly 60,000 “Named artists” tracks. This should be done completely in the next 12 hours or so - maybe sooner. Wish I had done this earlier. I can play songs and search for tunes just as I did in February - at least so far. (I don’t want to get overly optimistic here.)

I was using two separate USB drives and switched to one faster drive. It is a 22TB drive. Pretty big for an SSD…
Even the old two-drive setup (and slower computer, which I have also replaced) worked well until Roon made the “big switch” to version 2. I hope the re-creation of my database will help resolve the problem. Thus far it looks like it might have. :crossed_fingers:

I think I suggested scrapping the database a few months back. That would certainly help as well.

I appreciate that. I was waiting for someone in Roon Support to suggest that alternative - it seemed quite drastic, and you get warnings that the procedure is “destructive.” I was nervous…

You can also try taking a backup and then restore the backup right away. For some reason that’s helped me in the past, almost like a repair. Give that a shot as well if you want.

Yep, suggested by me a number of times too. I’ve been watching this thread and am happy to see where things have got to today. @paultaylor is awesome by the way!

1 Like

Moving and renaming a massive number of files is a recipe for DB corruption.

1 Like

I was shocked when a community moderator suggested not to unless support told you to do it. It’s very low risk if you have a good backup and there are published procedures to walk you through the steps.

1 Like

Same. As an IT professional I found that was bad advice that likely prolonged this issue.

1 Like

Indeed he is and whilst this thread has improved SongKong along the way the sad thing is that Roon has stayed exactly the same. Large collections can still be an issue for some users. I note from another thread that Roon may be aware of the issue(s) but the fix so far remains elusive.

1 Like

I certainly would agree with that! And his products are also awesome. Roon should hire him.

Quick question here. I have playlists in a separate directory, and those all worked well before the destruction and rebuilding of my database. I have “enlivened” that playlist directory in Roon’s storage, and have forced rescans of that directory several times, but Roon is not showing any of those playlists. Roon imported all 214759 “named artists” tracks in about 9 hours, but these playlists are stubborn. Do I need to do something to get my playlists back?

I found the answer. The playlists reside in the database. That is very unfortunate. Looks like I’ve got a lot of work to do here to recreate those.

Do you have a database backup? You can maaaaaybe try restoring an old backup and reimporting your music and seeing if it’s still corrupted.

I’ll give it a shot. :crossed_fingers:

Well, guess what? That put me back to where I was before destroying the database and recreating it. Grinding, grinding, grinding away.

I thought I would export the playlists so they might be imported later. Well, to do that requires that all the tracks be downloaded too. Why? I just want a playlist that can then be imported back into Roon.

I have a backup from last night (which is newer than the one I used to get my playlists back). I had planned to recreate those playlists as m3u files, restore last night’s database from that newer backup, and then import the playlists. Doesn’t look like that’s going to work unless I re-download all the music files to my local computer. Maybe even then it won’t work, who knows?

Maybe Soundiiz can help you move the playlists: Export Roon playlists and library to Soundiiz

Interesting. I have yet to open the various artists directories on my Roon server - waiting to see what the next improvement to Song Kong can do. Thus, many tracks in my playlists are not currently available (they will be, eventually). Would that make a difference?