Smart Downloads - Download Quality Ignored

I have started smart downloads and set CD quality. All my files are CD quality or above yet looking at what has been downloaded I see a mixture between OPUS and 24bit 48khz so far.

Looks like my CD quality preference is being ignored.

Is this happening with anybody else?

I reported a similar case in Early Release testing but it seems like it wasn’t yet fixed (or not completely fixed maybe) before the official release:

1 Like

Fingers crossed this gets fixed as the files larger than 16bit 44.1khz are wasting space for me and as for OBUS I have no idea why this has appeared.

If this is literally the case,

All my files are CD quality or above yet looking at what has been downloaded I see a mixture between OPUS and 24bit 48khz so far.

then it seems that it’s slightly different then in your case because the vast majority of my files are also CD quality but were downloaded as such. So that was fine for me. Two hires albums (both 96/24) were downloaded as Opus in one case and IIRC as 48/24 in the other. I think some other hires albums were converted to CD fine. The 48/24 originals were not changed at all.

I’m not sure what the factors are. It seems that someone else would have confirmed in the EA thread if it had affected everyone - they usually do.

Its been stuck on 24 albums for 2 hours also.

Mentioning this in case roon go looking in the forums.

Update - After reboot it has dropped for 22 album’s somehow.

Its now stuck trying to download the same album. It progresses a little then starts over again in a loop.

This is on my FIIO M11S dap.

Is your DAP battery above 20% (required) or plugged in and the wifi good? If this persists, you should probably post in Support support where they at least see it.

Yes it was full.

It started off as being able to see my memory card and now it cant which is why im assuming it stopped.

Wiped the app and it can see the card and I’m starting again.

It can see the Sd card again.

I have no idea about DAPs but I am surprised that ARC sees a memory card at all, because it doesn’t on phones

I have formatted the SD card as internal storage. Easily done in Android settings.

Ah ok. Whenever I tried that on phones of different brands and with different cards, Android always messed it up with the card not reliably mounting, getting unmounted for no reason, and so on. (Without ARC at the time)

Its decided to show storage used in bytes haha. No idea whats going on here.

How much internal disk space does the DAP have? If sufficient for testing, would try without the card formatted as internal storage because of my poor experiences with this

Thats good advice.

If I have further issues I will try your suggestion. Without the memory card the DAP is useless to me at 32GB.

I understand, but if testing with just the internal memory works then maybe that’s the issue.

Another test you could try is whether it behaves better if you initially set the SDL size to something smaller. My usage in EA was with 50 GB max because most of the time I’m online anyway and I use a phone, so I don’t need my whole library downloaded

Or you could try and manually download the bulk that you definitely always want offline, and use a smaller SDL allocation (in case this works better) to fetch other stuff. E.g., the algorithm should download any new additions automatically. And once downloaded by SDL, it is possible to convert it to a manual/permanent download. And with the much improved speed (normally), manual downloads have become much less painful

1 Like

I did warn you about adopted storage being flakey if I remember. Never had a good experience with it on any hardware. If ARC supported SD cards like normal Android apps do then all would be fine. Really don’t understand why they don’t.

Haha yes you did! I remember.

So Roon Arc sees the additional storage but still writes to the internal storage only and this is what is causing my issue.

Why external storage doesnt just work is ridiculous.

2 Likes

Maybe. I am wondering if there are subtle legal issues involved. I seem to remember that some jurisdictions like UK have ridiculous laws that don’t allow copying CDs for private reasons like backup.

Or it’s because SD cards are dying out and iPhones simply use large internal storage