Somafm not working

The 1.FM stations aren’t broken for everyone though, only the Swiss.

I’ll add a comment to the descriptions of the appropriate stations

Frustrating is that the people behind 1.FM don’t offer public information about what’s going on, why many stations don’t work (sometimes?), …

If someone is really interested, he may use the published contact e-mail ask and report here so the maintainers can take appropriate action.

This time I have to disagree. I (user) pays for a software/service that does not work as advertised. I had quite few problems getting Roon to work, and I obtained very little assistance in fixing the problem (BrianW only exception), In this thread it is apparent that the live radio stations that are listed do not all work, Soma (title of my enquiry) it takes a lot of time to load between 10 to 40 sec, 1 sec in Bluesound. I keep on finding broken stations as I surf.
All this gives me the impression that Roon is not a finished product but a work in progress. Do I want to pay 699 usd for work in progress (the cost of 1,5 Bluesound Node)?
I have few days to decide if to buy the software or not.

Roon is offered as a subscription based service and as such always changing and striving for improvement – a work in progress in deed.

PS: The list of Radio stations in Roon is maintained by other users that volunteer as maintainers and not Roon Labs (the company). Without their effort we users still had to enter stream URLs manually into the software.

thanks for the explanation, which I find troubling. So live radio a major feature of the software is developed and maintained by volunteers … if Brianw changes hobby? no more radio maintenance? Any other areas which are in volunteers hands?

Then is Roon a professional software that commands professional prices?

That is not what I have written.

Yes, but not in their hand rather contributing (same as with the directory of radio stations, which by the way is not the same as the Radio station feature as a such).

Please move the discussion over to the Feedback section of the forum if you want to engage with Roon Labs to discuss your concerns and questions about their business model.

@BrainW
I would like to suggest the inclusion of a mutichannel radio (similar to 1.Fm) Gotradio.
I am sure other will appreciate those stations.

It is not possible to add multichnnel stations, but we can add individual channels

There are over 70 of these, so it may take some time…

Was there a particular channel you wanted?

70 that is a lot
Got radio; guitar genius, jazz so smooth, new age nuance, rocking 80, the mix 80 90

thanks a lot

Double counted - only 48!

Anyway, I’ve added
Gotradio - Rockin 80s
Gotradio - The Mix – 80s 90s & Today’s Hits!
Gotradio - Jazz So Smooth
Gotradio - New Age Nuance
Gotradio - Guitar Genius

Just search for “gotradio”.

I’ll dribble the others in one by one whenever I’m at a loose end.

Thank you!!!
by the way it is not adv free unfotunately

You could have used your time more effectively by checking out what does work as advertised, rather than venting and threatening cancellation…
:yawning_face:

On SomaFM’s website, you can usually find several alternate stream links, some even offering higher bit rates than when using Roon-offered ones.
If you enter one of those on adding your own station, you’d find they start a lot quicker and may even offer better quality.
Check out Groove Salad http://ice4.somafm.com/groovesalad-256-mp3 for example and have a nice sunday…

Added the advertising flag. Thank you

That is one of the streams in the .pls mp3 file for the station in Roon. The problem is that diversity is being offered here via the .pls whereas it is better all round if done at connection time by the server (Streamtheworld can do this).

Having said that, it appears that Roon does not test all 8 streams in the two .pls files for each Soma station if there is a separate stream (I thought it did when I tested a similar situation earlier - my mistake, or there was something different in that setup).

So, in slow time, I will break out a separate, high quality stream for each Soma station, but leave the .pls files. Thus, if the separate stream is down, the .pls files should provide a backup.

Edit:. Hmm, tried this with another station, and got the wait. I had to specifically choose the .aac I had added. This wasn’t the case with Groove Salad.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.