Some downloaded tracks in Roon ARC gets corrupted [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Windows 10 Pro, Intel NUC (i5 2c/4t, DDR3 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ubiquiti Unifi router, switches and Wi-Fi access points (wired to switches). The Core is connected by cable (1Gb) to switch. Internet connection - optic internet download 1Gb / upload 1Gb

Connected Audio Devices

Android phone via Roon ARC, using local Wi-Fi 5 (ac)

Number of Tracks in Library

2057 tracks

Description of Issue

When I use Roon ARC and download my favorite playlist to my phone (140 tracks) - it takes quite a long time, although connection speed is not an issue. At the end I face corrupted tracks during playback. I did that in the initial version of the app, but also tried with the new build, hoping this issue was fixed, but still I face the same issue (it shows toast message, that the track is corrupted). And I have to delete the whole download (140 files) and start over again - there is no way to re-download single corrupted track.

2 Likes

I have rhe same issue with some corrupt files in a playlist. Even while playing without downloading. In the normal Roon app I can play these files without problems.

Do you have iPhone or Android phone? Interesting, is it the same on iOS?

I use the iPhone app

1 Like

Same issue for me on iOS

I have been running into the same issue on iOS except for me it is whole albums. deleting the download and re-downloading doesn’t seem to solve it either.

Seems to be increasing as well… Albums that I could play previously are now corrupted. This is not proving to be a very useful app at this point.

Same issue here, although I’ve only found it to be on one album and on one track. I’ve just checked on Roon desktop and the file plays fine.

+1 here. And that is IMHO a serious drawback, especially when the files are not on your streaming servic, you want to hear them and can’t stream.

With the new. update, corrupt media are gone and downloading works. Thank you, Roon team!!

Im afraid its not gone for me. Using iOS. I have one album (so far) on my server that will play only some of its tracks via ARC with the others showing a bright red “Corrupt media” banner across the bottom of the iPhone screen. All tracks in this album play fine via regular Ron app on home system. This occurs on ARC whether the tracks are streamed from the server or downloaded and played from the phone,

What I did is deleting the existing local downloads and redownload them with the new version - since the files streamed well I thought there could have been an issue with the download files. Did you try that?

Same issue here and not fixed in the new version. Delete files and download again doesn’t solve the problem for me.

Just found out an album I downloaded a couple days ago is corrupt too. So as above, this issue isn’t fixed.

Yeah I just went through album by album of those I downloaded and had to delete well over half of them as they were all corrupted. In many cases it is entire artist catalogs and not a random album here and there which makes even less sense to me. I have tried multiple times to re-download the corrupted albums only to find they are still corrupted.

This has made the app unusable at this point for me, as offline access was to be the biggest benefit of it. I am pretty frustrated to be honest and am now replacing those that I can via Qobuz (though clearly their catalog will not always have replacements for some of my own library). I would love to hear what the Roon staff has to offer as this seems to be a growing problem rather than a one-off…

New ARC update today. Stil have the same corrupt media problems.

so I I installed the latest Roon and ARC updates then downloaded the Abbey Road Deluxe Edition to my I Phone. One track refused to complete - “The Long One” - so I removed the download and tried again with the same result. The circle never completes and if I tap on the offending track I get a “poor connection” message. I have played this track directly from Roon and it worked so something is still afoot with downloads - this was on WiFi. Oh and my phone gets very hot.

btw I juist saw another post saying ARC seems to have a problem with very long track names - the track above has a long name so maybe that’s the issue?

Hi @Ciaran_Henry,

Thank you for the post. Did you experience this on the most recent build of ARC, just released (see here)? We’ve been making incremental improvements to download stability with each new ARC release since 2.0 came out, so we’re hoping the update will at least incrementally improve the symptoms you’re reporting.

We’ll investigate logs to see what’s happening to the track in question. Regarding long track names, we’ve yet to clarify if the long track titles or large file sizes are triggering download issues. We suspect it’s the latter but we’re actively investigating any download issues and escalating as necessary to QA, so we should have an update here shortly.

Regarding the hot phone, I have several follow-up questions, as we’re tracking several other reports of this here: Roon ARC iphone 14 Pro Max, hot, hot hot!

1. Do you also experience battery drain?
  2. Do you have any other apps backgrounded that draw significant battery?
  3. Are you also playing back music in ARC when the phone gets hot during downloading?

Thanks!

@Eric_Streefland,

We’ll also pull logs for the report you submitted. Please stand by.

1 Like