Some Words regarding Support & Service in connection with Build 880/882/884

:champagne: for everyone!

1 Like

It’s probably impossible to program but it would help me if ROON would warn us with feedback like

“This hardware is near max library capacity. More import of audio files may impact ROON performance.”

Put your 300k tracks on something more appropriate for its size and your experience will be better.

1 Like

Is there a place on the forum where “what is appropriate for what size” is specified?

Not on the Forum, but in the Roon Help Centre.

Over 250,000 tracks needs a fast processor. Running Roon on underpowered hardware is asking for trouble.

I wouldn’t use a Celeron for Roon at all. Start with an i5 imo.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link! When you wrote “Put your 300k tracks on something more appropriate” I assumed you mainly meant the kind of external drive to put the files on.

Laptop hardware specs below.

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-01 om 12.08.08

My external drive is not SSD but fast enough it seems here.

External drive holding the music files doesn’t need to be SSD. It’s the drive holding the roon database that needs SSD.

3 Likes

Thanks Gary! Good to know. Mine is 500GB SSD.

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-01 om 13.02.34

I don’t think Ged was replying to you about appropriate size machine.

If that is your Core it is of good specification.
Ideally you just want it on Ethernet if it is driving other Audio endpoints.

1 Like

I initially understood Ged was saying on what better medium to put the audio files. I now understand it’s about the core machine processing the database.
I currently let ROON stream the music via wifi to Airport which has optical cable to the DAC that feeds the monoblocks.
So far so good.
Getting rid of the older Mac that was the core before PLUS starting from scratch importing (not all of) my audiofiles seems to be what helped get me into carefree listening again.
(currently ROON is playing some audio via TIDAL here)

2 Likes

I wasn’t I want replying to you at all if you see the top right of the post it indicates I was replying to a spe ific person who has a celeron

NAS.

1 Like

Ok great news, though with Airplay your 96kz music is downgraded to only CD quality :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You might not be surprised how many topics go off the rails through a misunderstood response to another forum member.

Enjoy your music

1 Like

If you look look at the signal path, it is the 48k being downgraded. No initial decode to 96 is happening.

2 Likes

Don’t spoil my fun @Rugby as I was only playing and injecting some humour.

Unless you have something to add about MQA unfolding :roll_eyes::smile_cat:

Happy new year man.

1 Like

Mason, Just to up-to-date: Did the memory help in any way?

Hi Freejazz,.

Yes it did. The NAS (Synology 920+) immediately calmed down. It’s operating just as before the upgrade, smooth. I have a large DB so I have a 1 nano sec of delay loading album art. I expect that.

All functions on the interface (OS) are operating properly. I haven’t run it through all the paces but for the moment I am optimistic. It did crash once. That may be attributed to that I never rebooted the MacMini after adding the DB memory upgrade. I sent that hang off to Apple. I have spent more time trouble shooting this product than I have listening to my music. Not really sure what all it can do.

It’s really amazing the 920 ran at all. It’s a feather in the cap for Synology. The machine was banging away for days. until the upgrade. 8 GB is all that is offered for the 920+. If it was available I would have selected16 GB.

In hindsight probably the 1621+ would have been better suited for my operation. It has 5 bays, EEC memory with 16 GB available. Just not sure about the AMD processor.

Bgrds,
Mason

2 Likes

Hi Mason,

Sounds to an impressive environment. I only have two DS220j with 8 TB each (the one is for backup).
Mac Minis I had before. Since two years I have a low budget NUC with a Roon Rock. That works really stabile without any update issues … apart from the database issue of Build 880. But I had at least two power outages in past, so I had harvested a corrupted database.

You probably wrote that before, but how many songs/albums you manage in your Roon database?

Hi FreeJaz,

Getting back to you a little late, working.

I have roughly have 300,000 tracks. Reason behind the 920 and the raid 6.

Mason

1 Like

I was away the last month, came back and updated my Roon. After posting a support request yesterday I just came across this thread and you can add me to the list of people affected. I’m sorry I haven’t had time to go through the last month of forums posts, but can I ask…

• Is there really no fix for this yet?
  • Has Roon issued no statement or update on a fix?
  • What I can’t understand is, if this database corruption issue was known about, why wasn’t the latest update pulled? It’s been 3 weeks since it was released and I only just installed it now (without knowing about this issue)

Hi Occamsrazor,

Unfortunately the situation is at is is: If you have a corrupted database, you probably have it for a longer time. This might have had occur if you have a short power or hardware failure.
In past, Roon backuped this corrupted database. But a restored corrupted database stays a corrupted database. Now, Roon checks if a database is corrupt and stops the system. Due to the very fast database but otherwise not manageable database structure, there is no chance to correct that.

Thats, what I understood. The other parts of your question - thats why you found my thread and a lot of frustrated people here.

I hope, that you will not loose that much own things if you have to start with a new database.

Regards