Some Words regarding Support & Service in connection with Build 880/882/884

Wow, three more songs than I have. And I thought, that I am a little crazy :crazy_face:
You know, how old you must be to hear all of them at least one time?

but for me, that’s never the objective. I simply want to have the song or album to play when the mood hits me (or my wife, or a visitor). I don’t plan on spending all my money before death either, but I want to have it just in case…just like my music collection. :wink:

2 Likes

I have to agree with you, Gary. And it’s even worse. For example, if I go to my CD library, I will find there Pat Metheny’s “Zero Tolerance for Silence” and Anthony Braxton’s bagpipe solo album. You can’t stand both of these for even a minute. And I’m still happy and proud to have them every day.

2 Likes

But if a friend comes by and says, "I used to really like Metheny’s “Zero Tolerance for Silence” but lost my copy years ago, you can say, hey, let’s play it! Makes it all worthwhile. I have a lot of fun when friends visit letting them dictate a playlist. Of course this was a lot more impressive to them in the pre Tidal/Spotify, etc. days, when having it to play meant you really had it in your house.

1 Like

Of course. And, additionally, you don’t develop a relationship with things that you only have virtually and/or rented. And don’t forget the visual and tactile experience of taking a CD out of the case.

1 Like

I miss that sensation as well as due to space considerations I transferred all of my Jewel cases to plastic sleeves and reduced 5 racks to 1.3.

5 Likes

Oh, nice. In my library, I’d rather be walking around with a video camera. Luckily I don’t have a LP record collection as well.

2 Likes

I still have a few hundred vinyl albums. Have a turntable connected and could play, but haven’t actually tried to play anything on the turntable in 10 years.

1 Like

Why do you not use it then?

Can I request a new Roon feature…

A downvote button.

2 Likes

Probably laziness. I have maybe 10 albums that I don’t also have on CD, and I’ve created digital files from those albums. I haven’t played a CD in over 10 years either (despite having a CD player in my setup). All my CDs have been ripped to FLAC. I have about 9,000 albums on my digital music server, and simply find it too easy to find and play anything I want without getting up from my chair. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

FLAC, yes, that is my Roon format too. I additionally save a CUE sheet of every album, to be prepared to build a new one if an CD will be unreadible in future.

This sumarizes my Roon experience.

2 Likes

If you listen to 400 tracks or so day you can hear the whole collection in a couple years. I have some editing to do, but it’s a big job and not high on the priority list.

62 years at 400 a month. Hope you are starting out as a young person!

1 Like

400 Tracks a day, with an average track at 3 minutes, is 20 hours of music a day. I thought I listen to a lot.

1 Like

Spent all today trying to restore from backups going back to the oldest more than 6 months ago on version 813. All failed. It looks like I am out of luck. This is really unacceptable. I’ve posted some more details here.

1 Like

Hi Occamsrazor,

I think it is time for you, to give up.
Unfortunately you seem to have a longer timeframe (more than six months) between the “accident” (e.g. loss of power, writing error, disk error …) and the build 880.

You will shed a few tears, but after a few days you will feel better knowing (or rather believing = hoping?) that you have a clean and consistent database. I stopped my efforts much earlier - The longer this timeframe is, the more useless is such an old backup. Since in the first three weeks after the debacle there was no feedback on my suggestion of a database repair or an export option, nothing more will come now. Because there are only a few desperate souls left.

3 Likes

Thanks… yes I have pretty much resigned myself to losing everything… but will be away for a week or so and will leave rebuilding until I have time. At least if I could save & replicate the playlists that would be a big start.

3 Likes

My system came up with needing an upgrade, I killed the Roon processes and did a complete backup to my NAS. Then I restarted Roon and let it upgrade and as expected by anyone in software, it worked perfectly because I’d done a backup. I’m certain if I hadn’t done a backup it would have failed.

I’m not adding much new music these days so I’ll have a backup for next time. I store all my music on my NAS anyway so I can easily add new albums from there. I’m prepared for the next Roon drama.

2 Likes