Song titles quickly change without playing

When I click on play album the song titles start running through without playing. No internet radio either. Just added several stations yesterday and today they will not play.
Roon ROCK/Windows 10 64 bit core/playback control. USB out to Kii Three Control. Sounds great when it works.
This issue seems to be intermittent - comes and goes.

Hi @Frank_Palm — Thanks for sharing your report with us, I appreciate it!

To start, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide. Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

May I also ask that you please confirm the following:

• Have you tried rebooting your Core machine, remote device, and applicable networking hardware?
  • Have you tried playing to a different endpoint? If you play to system output on the remote device do you experience the same behavior?

Regards,
Dylan

Dylan, Thanks for quick reply.
I rebooted and power cycled everything including my modem/router and now
Roon is working fine.
Not exactly sure which component may have been the issue and this seems to
happen intermittently every couple of weeks or so. So here is my layout
for you the review and if you see anything suspicious let me know.

ATT modem/router>cat 6 bonded pair>Intel Ethernet server adapter 1210-TI
(pci to motherboard)>PC (Caps Zuma)i7>Windows 10 Pro 64bit>Chrome>Tidal
Desktop & Roon

Same ATT modem/router>cat 6 Belden>D-Link DGS-108 switch>patch cable>Roon
ROCK>patch cable>ISO Regen>patch cable>Kii Three Control
…Same D-link switch also connected to OPPO 205, Roku streamer, additional
switch in shop with PC and surveillance system

Roon ROCK system status reports all OK with latest versions of ROCK OS,
Roon Server
library of 8130 tracks imported to Roon and stored on ROCK internal storage
2TB HD different from OS SSD.

So yeh, right now it all works great but I suspect the issue will come
back - slow, glitchy response of Roon, no internet radio, and when I hit
Play Now on an album Roon cycles quickly through the tracks without playing
any of them.
Also, I can stream Roku and other media from the PC without issues.

Thanks for the support and let me know if you need anything else on my end.

I have exactly the same issue, Roon 1.5 and when I hit play, Roon just quickly scrolls down and plays nothing. other than that the whole thing works fine.

My issue happened before Roon 1.5 update, a few weeks ago so I don’t suspect the update. A full reboot/pwr cycle seems to cure the problem but it comes back after awhile. Maybe someone has some suggestions?

This seems to be a common intermittent problem, I have had it and if you search the forum it happens to others. (search on skipping).
Mine was fixed temporarily by rebooting. Not sure what finally stopped it happening on my system but I think replacing the network router seemed to be at the heart of it.
I also had the “Android phone not connecting” problem which also went away once i went to a new router and upgraded mesh wireless network.
I don’t intend this as a possible fix just to state that you aren’t alone and it seems that the fix can be a bit tricky.

Hello @Frank_Palm — Thanks for the additional details, it certainly helps!

Glad to hear you’re back up and running now. In the event this happens in the future, I would be curious to know a couple things:

• Does this only happen to the one endpoint? Are you able to play fine directly to one of your remote devices or is it everywhere?
  • Does this happen with library files, TIDAL tracks, or both?
  • How often does this happen? Is it typically at a certain time of day (perhaps when the network would be busier than usual)?
  • Does the same behavior occur with a different router? We’ve tracked similar issues in the past to under-performing ISP routers that could be contributing to this behavior.

Thanks,
Dylan

Good questions. Next time it occurs I will try to address those questions.
Again, I can stream video via Rodu or PC all on the same network without
issues. I only use wired, no WiFi in my setup.
I will take a more systematic approach in troubleshooting next time.

Thanks again for the support…Frank

Hi Dylan,
I have tried rebooting router (Fios), Windows 10, HP i7 intel 12 Gig RAM, none worked.
Tidal plays fine. Roon plays nothing, it quickly scrolls down the playlist or any list and then stops. I want to uninstall and reinstall Roon.
How can I do that?

Hi @Ramiz_Saei — Thanks for the update.

Can you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide. Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Before we go to something like uninstalling and reinstalling, may I also ask that you please verify the following:

• Does this happen for all endpoints? If you play directly to System Output on your Core machine do you experience the same behavior?

Tidal plays fine.

• Just to be clear, are you referring to the TIDAL app? Or are you playing TIDAL in Roon?

-Dylan

Hey Dylan,
I have a DAC connected to computer i7 HP, Home Network with FIOS Router very ordinary Spkrs connected to PC’s audio output passing through a Pioneer AMP.
I already did un/reinstall and did not succeed, the issue is the Roon player, it is not playing anything but navigation in Roon works fine.
all files open, playlists open, By “Tidal works fine” I meant that service separately works fine.
I have hooked up Tidal to Roon but can not play any Tidal song through Roon.
Regards,
Ramiz

Hey Dylan,
I cannot play Tidal songs in Roon but I play Tidal songs separately in Tidal app without issues.
Ramiz

Thanks for the info, @Ramiz_Saei!

Can you please confirm the following:

• Is it just TIDAL tracks that don’t play in Roon? Or all tracks?
  • Are all zones exhibiting the same behavior? If you play directly to system output on the Core machine do you still experience this?

Regards,
Dylan

I am up and running!!! I think when I changed source to flac 44.1KHz 16 bit,
it started to work.
Or you guys sent me a fix.
Now I am paranoid!
Ramiz

Hi @Ramiz_Saei — Glad to hear you are up and running!

If this behavior occurs again, or you need anything else, always feel free to reach out.

Regards,
Dylan

Dylan,

Just an update…Seems I had an issue with my power supplies. This may have caused erratic performance and the issue I had with ROON shuffling through the titles.
Currently all is working OK.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.