Songs sound destroyed if switching from one bit depth / sample rate to another in a playlist

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7 (Build 537), Core i9-9900K, Windows 10 Pro, 64GB RAM, 500GB Evo 970 SSD.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

On Ethernet.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB to MOTU M2, latest drivers installed for it, analog connection out to active studio monitors, ASIO driver.

Description Of Issue

Using Qobuz as my streaming source, when a playlist goes from a song with one sample rate / bit depth to another (let’s say from CD quality 44.1kHz/16bit to something higher-res), it just sounds like junk, either with A LOT of noise, or sped up, or somehow WRONG and completely unlistenable. I will need to pause the song, rewind to the beginning and play again, at which point it will sound normal.

It appears your signal is going through two DACs? The MOTU M2 and then again in the active speakers?

Try enabling Resync Delay in Device Setup. Try 50ms, then 100ms.

My DAC doesn’t need any and thus is at 0ms.

Hi @Larry_Post,

Thank you for that suggestion! Tried it just now but no improvement whatsoever.

Did you try higher delays?

Can you eliminate the active speakers and use headphones with the MOTU as a test?

Hi @VOBOSHI,

Does the WASAPI driver exhibit the same issue or is it only the ASIO driver that does?

As a temporary measure, you may want to try setting Roon’s DSP engine to convert everything to one sample rate:

Hello both,

As a quick test just now, I’ve set up WASAPI and it’s exhibiting the same issue. For what it’s worth, on macOS the interface doesn’t exhibit this problem.

I’ll try headphones next and will report back.

Edit: headphones exhibit the same issue, so we can definitely say it’s the audio interface or its drivers.

Thank you both for helping me so far!

Hi @VOBOSHI,

I’d suspect the audio drivers in this case. You may want to try installing the latest driver or perform a complete reinstall of the audio drivers on your Windows PC.

I want to say that this was a success, but while it works between songs, it doesn’t work when restarting Roon and playing a song. I couldn’t get the interface to switch to the right sample rate (the max sample rate, as DSP was turned on). I restarted the song I wanted to play some 5 times, it never switched. :frowning:

Hi @VOBOSHI,

I’m not quite sure I understand this message. You’re saying that Roon was unable to switch to the proper sample rate and thus there was no sound output?

Or that signal path just displayed a different sample rate than the native one with the DSP turned on?

If it’s the second aspect, then this is expected behavior, when you perform DSP up-sampling, the sample rate is changed to match the max PCM rate of the zone (if you’re using max PCM upsampling that is).

Hi @noris,

Thank you for your continued assistance, mate!

Let me clarify the above. Roon switched to the proper sample rate, it upscaled the song to 24/192, the max my interface can deal with. What Roon couldn’t do is switch my interface to 24/192, making the song sound really slow and growly.

At this point I am thinking it’s 100% due to the interface’s drivers (which I also reinstalled yesterday, latest version off MOTU’s website). It’s only a few months until I switch to the RME ADI-2 DAC, but figured I inform you guys, maybe it’s worthwhile looking into this and it helps others with similar issues. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @VOBOSHI,

Thanks for the additional details!

You might also want to reach out to MOTU support of this issue if it’s just with this interface, perhaps they have a beta driver which helps.

Done, @noris, I’ve just raised a ticket with MOTU.

2 Likes

Hi @noris

I’ve isolated the problem with MOTU’s support: whenever a buffer size change is requested by Roon, I’ll get the artifacts and crackle.

I can’t find a way in Roon to set the buffer size to anything fixed and I’ve noticed that even if I set it to max buffer size, it’ll use 1024 for 16bit/44.1kHz songs, but then switch to 2048 when playing 24bit/88.2kHz songs.

What do you advise next?

Thank you in advance!

Hi @VOBOSHI,

Can you please reproduce this issue and let me know the exact local time + date + tracks the issue occurs on? I wonder if your Roon logs would contain info regarding the buffer size changing and I can enable diagnostics mode on your Core once I have the timestamp.

Hi @noris,

Thanks again for looking into this and helping!

27/05/2020 8:16am UTC+1 - played Let Me Take You from Whethan and Jeremih. Queued up Virgil Discount from 2 Chainz & Skooly
27/05/2020 8:19am UTC+1 - Virgil Discount started playing. Issue happened.

1 Like

Hello @VOBOSHI,

Thanks for letting me know that timestamp. I have gone ahead and enabled diagnostics mode for your account and what this action will do is next time your Core is active, a set of logs will automatically be generated and uploaded to our servers for analysis. Once this is received, I will request our technical team to review the logs for further clues.

Hi @noris,

Thank you so much for setting that up! I’ve just started listening to music today, so you should see a few logs before the issue occured again, around 28/05/2020 10:52am UTC+1 or 10:53am.

EDIT: and again at 28/05/2020 11:52am UTC+1 (as luck would have it, haha!)

Let me know if the logs came through and if I need to do anything else, mate!

Thanks again!

Hi @VOBOSHI,

Thanks for the additional timestamp. Hmm, it doesn’t seem like the log files are coming through properly, can you please manually submit a set by using these instructions?

You can use Option #2 if you are controlling Roon directly from the Core, or if you are using Option #1, please ensure you submit both Roon logs and RAATServer logs (they are located in a similar directory, you can paste this into a Windows Explorer browser:

%localappdata%/Roon/Logs (for Roon logs)
%localappdata%/RAATServer/Logs (for RAATServer logs)

Thanks!

Hi @noris,

Here’s an upload of the support files generated by option #2 - https://send.firefox.com/download/8a6308caa79abd40/#syfo1NwIRGoDlWgXGEyvUw

I’ve sent the password in a private message. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sending those files over @VOBOSHI, I can confirm receipt. Let me get these over to our technical team for further analysis and once analysis has been complete, I or another staff member will reach out once more!