SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

And as usual, Roon does not officially support software sqeezelite endpoints, so be aware.

For the NDS, I can process traffic up to 24/192, presented as WAV to the NDS, and DSD64 via DOP, and presented as native DSD to the NDS.
This minimizes any DSP processing by Roon and the NDS for these formats.

24/384, 24/352.8, DSD128, DSD256 and any MQA encoded files need pre-processing in the Roon Core.
For MQA, the 1st unfold is to a max of 24/96

Simon.

Thanks.

Ratsā€¦ I was afraid of that.

So, best case scenario with AK380 renderer as Squeezebox cannot be driven by Roon for native DSD. And up to 192/24.

Ratsā€¦

Okay, good to know, which means all these software dlna/upnp bridges to Roon are unsupported schemes.

I was looking to present AK380 renderer to one of these software squeezelite endpoints and in turn be remotely ā€œcontrolledā€ by Roon (matter of convenience and quality) using my existing Roon library.

Sounds like i ā€œcouldā€ get close but not playback DSD natively and up to 192/24.

As expected, searching online for ā€œroon dlna upnpā€ comes up with page on RAAT vs DLNA, hence Roon does not internally support DLNA rendererā€™s.

Ratsā€¦

I suppose this may work, i.e.turn AK380 into USB DAC, cable up to something (probably a Windows box to use AK380 DAC driver) that is running Roon Bridge, and control AK380 and listen from it using Roon. Then iā€™m fighting the usual USB signal path. Urghā€¦

Is the AK380 not an Android device? I know Roon on Android does not yet exploit the full ability of those devices capable of more than the basic 48k ceiling. But perhaps it will be in the future.

Yes Roon does not test any software sqeezelite implementations when doing updates and will not guarantee that future updates will work. Only Squeezebox hardware.

I would not call it a ā€œschemeā€, but, if you are using such a device, that manufacturer will have to support the implementation.

I think you are right, i.e. AK380 uses some derivative of Android as its OS but has no means to load Android apps, eg. Roon Remote.

Thanks. So, even in the best of circumstance (and i donā€™t know what Squeezebox hardwareā€™s are/were out there), Roon has built-in limitation for supporting up to 192/24 and DSD64 (DoP) on these Squeezebox ā€œhardwareā€™sā€ ?

Everything else is unsupported playback.

Is that correct?

That I cannot comment on as I do not use Squeezelite implementations. However, Henry I think answered your question above. And from forums of Innuos users, that does seem to be the limitations which make sense since they are the limits of Squeezebox hardware .

Thank you.

Iā€™ve moved on to my plan B, which is to use AK380 as USB DAC and hooked up to Windows 10 PC (laptop) with 64-bit Roon Bridge through the vendor provided (high quality) ASIO driver (Windows driver only) installed for the DAC.

Little cumbersome, but gets the job done to playback native DSD256 and up to 352.8/24 PCM from Roon.

Would have preferred to go over the wifi on AK380 to control it ultimately from Roon but sounds like the bridge approach is a non starter. And being AK380, donā€™t see that microrendu has support for it.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Hardware for Roon Bridge

What makes you think the microRendu will not support the AK380 via USB.

Will it do native DSD? That is what he is interested in.

Hrm, so i havenā€™t visited this page in a while, so just did,

, and bit different in the first post content since visiting that thread in Nov 2016 (not a typo, year 2016) when was still under computeraudiophile.com site.

Currently using microrenduā€™s to output to

Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Oppo HA-1

No longer lists the devices that support native DSD but instead stats following,

The Sonore Rendu series supports native DSD with most DACs. If your DAC is not supported you can continue to play DSD via DoP streaming. DoP encapsulates DSD into a format without data loss that can be streamed to most DSD capable DACs.

Iā€™ll try with my current microrendu with AK380 since i havenā€™t even tried it yet to see if will go up to native DSD256 and 352.8/24 playbacks from Roon, without any conversion.

If works then that route can be an option.

Thanks.

Yes, correct, native DSD up to DSD256. And PCM 352.8/32. All from Roon without any conversion.

Basically my UPnP bridge route to Roon playback as if Squeezebox is a bust since that signal path wonā€™t support from Roon any higher than 192/24 and no native DSD.

I would like to add to this setup,

, the AK380 which has balanced output support, as yet another poor manā€™s version of Roon controllable DAC/headphone amp, in a sort of all in one package.

More likely than not yes, but he has to try it. Apps / DAC Diagnostics will tell us what we need to know as well.

1 Like

Question - latest Roon release out today includes an ā€˜Autosleepā€™ setting.
This appears in the Device setup for the SonoreUPnP Bridge - what does the Bridge do with this setting?

The setting is for the identified device. Roon thinks it is speaking to something in the Squeeze ecosystem which may well be properly supported. But the UPnP Bridge is not really part of that, it is a hack. So the only way to find out is to observe.

Thanks - well I set it to 30mins at lunchtime, when I had the chance to update my ROCK server and Windows Remote - then went back to work in the study. Many hours have passed, and something has changed on the SonoreUPnP bridge or the UltraRendu where it runs, so the setting seems to be just ignored.