Sonos devices disappearing from Roon

I know that a couple of users including myself have sent logs over to @support

As you state, the problem persists. I’ve had it every day since last update.

Problem is limited to Roon control as sonos devices still available in sonos app / other apps (Spotify as example) and available for ping on WiFi.

Hope they fix this soon as its a real PITA having to restart ROCK several times a day.

1 Like

My problems completely went away as part of some network changes I made in the Beta. Came back yesterday and just kept disappearing again. I sent multiple set’s of logs as part of the Beta but they could not find anything at all.
I have been playing music for almost 3 hours this morning though after another drop off, so let’s see how long it lasts.
I might end up turning off all the Sonos again as well just to see. Very frustrating when you are used to almost perfect listening conditions

2 Likes

It just goes to show once again that for all your love of a product, you should never hang around like an addict.

It’s better to stand on at least two legs when there are problems.

Yes, and dropouts, slowness… I also know as a user of a very large library. A lot of things can only be fixed with a reboot, better network configuration and the architecture behind it in the Roon rooms.

It will remain that Roon elicits fascination and frustration from us. Not all problems are solved in a day, but communication determines whether we can cope with them.

2 Likes

Anybody in this thread had 1) any joy getting their sonos zones to stay up? And 2) any further info from @support since sending logs in!?

2 Likes

I am in contact with support.
Trying to narrow down cause and it is being reviewed but can’t offer any more information than that sorry.

1 Like

I’ve sent over a few logs and other info.

Let’s hope something comes out of it soon.

1 Like

Yes hoping so too.
It’s become really annoying

1 Like

Sure is.
Not sure what’s a bigger PITA at the moment - the zones disappearing or the wife constantly reminding me that the zones have disappeared.

2 Likes

Lol nice one

I decided to go away from Sonos
I replaced play 1’s with BW Flexes
I think I am happier

1 Like

Do you have some wired Sonos and a Mesh network? (as I do)

So my whole Sonos has been gone completely (from Roon) for the last week, no amount of reboots or unplugging would bring it back, but it worked perfectly on Airplay from Roon. So I thought it worth sharing new logs.

I got back from my travels last night and unplugged the wired ones and factory reset the Sonos Amp that was plugged in to the main router and I factory reset that one and added it again as WiFi only.

Not only did it come back up but the whole Sonos environment in Roon did as well. It might or might not confirm my theory that this is related to STP routing in Sonos over riding the Mesh routing.

Also out of curiosity I have a Sonos Roam that I travel with that hasn’t been turned on in a month or so. When I got back even in it’s box (yep I forgot to turn it off) it mysteriously appeared in Roon, and worked. Sonos then told me it needed an update, which I did and afterwards was disappeared again, so the plot thickens.

Anyway at this point with WiFi only setup I am up and running for 12 hours. Of course it could all fall apart again in the next 10 minutes, and I am not sure how well WiFi only is going to carry the 24/48 files but so far so good (again)

1 Like

I have only one Sonos (based) device which is a Symfonisk speaker in the kitchen. I recently built another Roon Server and when setting this up i discovered that the Symfonisk was only available as an AirPlay device (which only works semi reliably).
Anyway, i rebooted but that didn’t make any difference. So i figured i’d try it with the Sonos app, but that didn’t work either.
After lot’s of cursing and voodoo i managed to reset the darned thing and of course it requested an update and a new WLAN setup… But finally, updated and reset, it is once again available both in the Sonos app, and Roon, under Sonos Streaming.

What i’m saying is that perhaps it’s not Roons business to “fix” your mesh networks/settings or possibly the Sonos devices?
Do they work under the Sonos app on your tablets/phones?

All my sonos device are running on WiFi at the moment.
I have tried with one device on ethernet.
Same result every time - zones are available until at a random moment they are no longer seen by roon. Reboot brings them back until same happens again. This can be anywhere from few minutes to a couple of hours.

When roon cannot see them the sonos app, DS router app and Spotify connect can all still see the sonos devices.

My play 5 via airplay can always be seen if enabled as airplay in roon. But if same device is enabled as sonos streaming then it goes AWOL with the 2 x play 1 devices.

Have reset all sonos devices to factory, rebooted network, reinstalled roon, rebooted roon - same result every time: connection and visibility of sonos in roon is lost.

All the above started 10 seconds after the last 1.8 update and has existed daily since then.

Yes they work from everything (and now Roon again). The only problem was ever with Roon, with everything else is could play for 12 hours a day all weekend (which it generally does).
I am suspecting a mixture of Roon 1.8 and Sonos firmware update is the cause as it literally started about 2 hours after installing the first Beta of 1.8 and completely crashed and burned last week (only my Roam which was off still worked until that update was installed). Everything worked perfectly in Airplay and my RAAT devices never blipped through this.

1 Like

I believe it is their business when all this started immediately after the last 1.8 update.

Roon using the home network as an excuse for issues in roon is wearing thin.

We pay good money to Roon and for that I expect a product that works. But here we are again after another update with multiple user issues across multiple sources. The long and short of it is that we all pay money to Roon to be their beta testers. It certainly feels that way after each update to me.

So we share exactly the same issue.
Mine was generally running for between 1 and 12 hours. I got rid of it for 3 weeks with a bit of a network change around, until last week when it completely burned out.
But as I said in the previous message, the one Sonos endpoint that had not been updated continued to work until the latest update was installed and then that fell off Roon as well.

Currently at about 14 hour’s of playback with WiFi only and everything else unplugged, but soon I will need to uncross my fingers as they are starting to hurt :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Mikael I get a consistent 800Mb across my Mesh network without fail and stream 4k from Plex etc and never a failure.
Remember Sonos builds its own network routes using STP to take over traffic management and I am fairly certain that is part of this and the Roon failure is an outcome of some changes made for S2 streaming.

I have put many hours of testing and changes into this and reported back to Roon, but plugging in a Play 3 via Ethernet was able to break the Roon as Sonos started routing all traffic through it instead of the much faster Mesh network, thus taking the network speed down from 800Mb to 30Mb and so on.

2 Likes

I might replace my play 1’s if this continues much longer. I can live with play 5 on airplay. I was considering the bluesound flex as the most cost effective and least cables option.

If I do, maybe I see you in the “bluesound devices disappearing from Roon” thread after the next roon update.

1 Like

Haha they had a lot of issues in the past but seems stable enough for now, though there have been consistent complaints about WiFi performance with Roon

I was looking at that myself but my only thought was it was not a big enough improvement after hearing them. The biggest benefit was that they supported RAAT and 24 bit audio, but Sonos does as well now and I don’t think my hearing and speaker ability is going to make a difference for 24/96
I think I will be moving to all RAAT devices in the future and still keep a few Sonos devices for non critical background listening.

I already have the Matrix Audio with XLR outs and a Zen Stream and based on my testing of both of those (and multiple Pi’s with Hats), the MA is probably going to be driving a nice class AB amp next year and some of the play 1s will be doing surround duty for a Sonos Arc that will only be driving TV duty and probably surround sound duty for concert watching.

But I do not look forward to joining you in that thread :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ahah !
Well I really think BlueSound and BW Formation being Roon Ready, this kind of problems should not happen. Never had an issue with these