Sonos devices disappearing from Roon

I didn’t realise that B&W made a that formation range.
Got some power for a small unit.

It looks from another thread that the new formation range is not Roon Ready.
They look like great speakers though.

I have a Formation Duo, a Formation Audio and 3 Formation Flex. They absolutely are Roon Ready - take a look at the Roon Ready partners page

Here:

I know they are and very nice devices they are as well.

My comment was on a post I saw yesterday saying that there is a new version that is not Roon ready and when the poster asked about Roon Ready they deleted his question on the forum

I could be confused, but it stuck in my head.

Interesting …
Are you able to share the link for that discussion? It would be very bad if BW Formation stops being Roon Ready

I did a quick search but didn’t find it.

I’m a sad git and tend to browse most interesting thread’s and I came across it.
It’s possible that I was confused, but felt that it was about B&W, though only a particular model.

If you can play 24 bit over Chromecast and CD quality over Airplay then why invest so much in Roon ready for a small market (seemed to be the takeaway from the follow up posters)

Personally I want to see Roon Ready on everything, but likely to head for a good amp and a separate streamer/DAC for the future unless someone comes out with a really compelling amp in the £2k range in the next year.

Michael I think you are referring to the new Zeppelin that just came in, maybe? BW said that it will not be Roon Ready like the Formation range. Would be interesting to know why BW decided to not add Roon Ready functionality to this latter

1 Like

@ogdens_sliced I have updated Support to tell them that Roon was not picking up changes in IP addresses on my network as I rebuilt it yesterday to get to the bottom of this problem (Again). Rock was requiring a reboot to pick up any changes and I had created a new DHCP and DNS server to do some testing.
I ended up giving all the Sonos and associated Roon gear reservations on the new DHCP server and waiting hours for everything to get where it needed to be.

After that I restarted the Core and so far so good and no Sonos devices are plugged in via Ethernet. Not sure how long this will last, but so far I have really been enjoying the music reliabily again.

I also managed to fix an issue I had with RooNuimo as well so hopefully it will have been a good weekend. (I highly recommend the Nuimo remote if you are in any way interested)

Though I am not sure whether I will be back in this thread again tomorrow :see_no_evil::roll_eyes:

I think that you are correct, and sorry if I caused you and worry.
It’s an age thing where you remember 80% to 90% of the story but forget the key item :see_no_evil:

1 Like

All my networked devices have reservations set, always have done.

Was doing some electrical work this morning so had the distribution box off for a couple of hours. After turning power back on and starting everything back up my Sonos devices have been available. They have been up for 3 hours now, which is a novelty of late, so will see what happens over the rest of the day…

If this PITA continues I’ll be ditching the 2 x Play 1 on our version of eBay and getting a couple of the small bluesound flex. I only use the play 1 in the bedroom and the wife’s study so the small flex they will do the job.

1 Like

I really considered the BS Flex as a replacement for One SLs from Sonos but finally decided to go with BW Flex - they are more expensive though… Since I already have BW Formation devices, I decided to pay for the extra money in order to rely on BW multiroom in case Roon Ready grouped devices go out of sync. This bad behavior happens sometimes.

Very curious to know how the BS Flex sounds!

Have seen a few threads on that.
My system has a few devices where Im outputting Roon at fixed volume (to tube Amp in main HiFi and a couple of headphone rigs) so not sure I’d get best use out of it.

I’m kind of hoping I don’t have to be the one to tell you.

1 Like

Yes I have similar but I have been using with a few devices and it is a dream to use where you don’t have device volume set.
Works great with Sonos now they are working again and also with the Matrix audio.

I wish you that too of course ! :slight_smile:
But anyways having a more capable / reliable device is something one needs to consider especially if you use Roon as main music control

How does the remote know which zone to control if multiple zones are playing? Such as 3 Sonos zones playing at the same time.

I have a couple of matrix devices, but both are set on fixed volume as one feeds my Primaluna and the other feeds a Topping headphone Amp in my office. Must say that the matrix gear has been rock solid so far. I have the Element M in my main HiFi and it just sits on the shelf, never gets touched, and sounds great. Matrix gear is great value for money in terms of build and sound quality.

1 Like

My MA has always been on fixed for feeding outputs, until my Sonos sh1t the bad last week, but the Nuimo is back on the Sonos now that it is working perfectly again.

You can point it using the extension manager to any of the zones. If you group Zones in Roon then you have to go into extension manager to update. If you are jealous of the Naim Unity Atom Remote then this is as close as you can get to the perfect remote.

BTW my Sonos is still running perfectly almost a day later. Though it could still go badly again

My Sonos have just gone missing again.
Only the Play 5 via airplay can be seen in Audio tab again.

Airplay is ok this strange problem comes with Sonos Streaming only

Yes there is something between the latest Sonos updates and Roon 1.8 that is not good (I am guessing involving STP and Mesh to some extent)

I mentioned previously I had one Roam that had been powered down for a month and that one still worked perfectly and as soon as I updated it was gone and never came back until I set my network up and changed everything.
Sadly this is not in the ability of a lot of Normal user’s. It took me the best part of a day.

Roon are struggling to reproduce what is happening to us