Sonos grouping issues since Roon update

I updated Roon a few days ago and since then I can’t get Roon to control my Sonos speakers when they are grouped in a zone. I have a Connect which I group with a Play 5 upstairs and sometimes with a Play 3 (when in the back yard). The Connect will group with the Play 3 but not the Play 5. When I try to group with the Play 5 I get the “Transport: Roon lost control of the audio device” message and none of them will play. I have managed to find a workaround where I just control the Connect via Roon and group the Play 5 and 3 via the Sonos app. Just wondering if you are aware of this and if anyone else is having this issue since updating.

Hey @Joe_Kenney — Thanks for sharing your report with us! The feedback is always appreciated!

First, I’d like to get a little more information about your setup. Please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

Can you please reproduce the issue once more and note the time at which the error occurs. Then respond here with that time, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Thank you,
Dylan

1 Like

Dylan

Thanks for your reply.

In answer to your questions:

what version of Roon you are running?

• Roon Version 1.5 (build 334) stable (64 bit) is on both my Macs (MacBook Air and iMac) and my Roon Core which is an Antipodes server.

What operating system you are running?

• OSX 10.12.6

Basic information about the device you’re using.

• MacBook Air (mid 2013), with 4GB of memory; 1.3 Ghz Intel Core i5

Describe where your music is stored – this includes hard drive description and interface type (USB, Firewire, etc. If you are using a NAS or any other kind of network storage, be sure to include the information requested in the Network section below)

• My music is stored on the Antipodes and I use Tidal as well. My router is an Netgear Orbi router with one Satellite. Router Firmware version is V2.1.4.16.

Let us know your collection size (approximate number of tracks)

• I have about 18,000 tracks in my collection

Everything is wired except the Play 5 and the Play 3. They are on the network via Sonosnet. The Sonos Connect is wired into the router via Powerline adapters. I have a Linn Sneaky DSM and Linn Accurate DSM wired into the network with the Powerline adapters and they both work flawlessly. It is just grouping of the Play 5 that is giving me trouble right now.

Let me know if you need any more information and when you would like me to re-create the issue.

Thanks
Joe

Thank you for the details, @Joe_Kenney!

Just to confirm, you are grouping the Sonos devices through the Sonos app, correct? And when you do the you receive the “lost control of audio device” message?

Please re-create this message for me and note the time that it occurs. Once I have the timestamp I will enable diagnostics on your account so the team can review the diagnostics report in relation to that timestamp.

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan

When I group the Play 5 with the Connect via the Sonos app it works fine. It is just when I group thru Roon that I get the error message.

Interestingly, I am still able to group the Play 3 with Connect via Roon. But last nite, after I finished in the backyard with the Play 3, I could not “ungroup” the Play 3 thru Roon before unplugging it and taking it inside. I was only able to do that with the Sonos App.

I just recreated the error message when trying to group the Play 5 with Roon at 7:01pm PST.

Thanks
Joe

Thanks, @Joe_Kenney! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

-Dylan

Hey @Joe_Kenney,

I wanted to reach out because I’ve been keeping an eye on our servers, waiting for the aforementioned diagnostics report.

For some reason it is not reaching our servers, even after I tried re-enabling diagnostics on your account. I also ran a quick test and I was able to submit a similar report from my setup here, so something else is going on.

So we can move forward, I was hoping for now you could use the directions found here and send us over a set of logs using a shared Dropbox link. We will need logs from your Core machine.

Thanks,
Dylan

Dylan

Can you be more specific on where I find these logs? My Core is an Antipodes server and I use Mac OS X devices (Airbook and iMac).

Hi @Joe_Kenney, if you go to Settings/Roon Server in your Antipodes GUI, you can click the option ‘Expose Roon Database’:

This will cause the Roon Database directory (folder) on the Antipodes to show in the shared network view of the Antipodes in Windows File Explorer or OSX Finder:

I believe ‘Logs’ is the directory/folder that Roon Support needs in zipped format.

You can contact me at support@antipodes.global if you have questions.

Dylan

I can’t figure out how to use Dropbox. Can I just email you the logs? If so, please provide your email address. I have sent them to Tony already.

Thanks
Joe

Nevermind. I figured it out. Here is the link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dx2p2lmz8qm7801/Logs.zip?dl=0

BTW, tonite I was able to group both the Play 3 and Play 5 with Roon. So maybe it has sorted itself out.

Thanks, @Joe_Kenney!

I’ll pass the logs along to the team.

Good to hear! Let me know if anything changes.

Regards,
Dylan