Sonos - "Roon lost control of the audio device" after Sonos Update [Resolved: Update Sonos Firmware]

Roon Core Machine

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Mac mini late 2012
2.6GHz Quad Core Intel i7
16GB RAM
Core connected to router over Ethernet

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Draytek Vigor 2866
WiFi: Unifi UAP AC Lite x 2

Connected Audio Devices

All on WiFi
Hi-Fi Berry DAC
Sonos Streaming:
Play:1 x3
Sonos Connect
Play:3
Play:5
Airplay:
Bose Wave

Number of Tracks in Library

7500 tracks

Description of Issue

One Sonos Play:1 will not play. It’s visible in the room devices list as Study Play:1.

As soon I try to play anything then the message “roon has lost control of audio device” appears

If I group it with another device it will play, but stops as soon as it’s ungrouped.
It plays fine from Sonos.

New software update applied today, problem remains

Existing thread with Roon investigating:

Roon Core Machine

My Core runs on a MacBook pro OS Catalina 10.15.7, Roon version 2(build 1244)

Fritz! Router

Connected Audio Devices

Naim ND5 XS2, Naim MuSo2 (Chromecast) and various Sonos devices

1785 Albums

Description of Issue

After the latest update, my Core will not connect to Sonos, although they are listed on the Audio section. They are in a different category to the Naim devices. In addition, I run Roon on my iPad and thisdoes not connect to the Core, nor can it see any audio devices, music library etc.

1 Like

May be this existing topic with Roon investigating:

2 Likes

Sonos speakers updated and Roon for many of us will “lose control of the audio device” which in my case means it doesn’t even start playing just delays a few seconds and then says it has lost control. Roon pushed out an update but that has yet to resolve. i am sure they are working on this.

Roon Core Machine is my iMac

Mac OS Ventura 13.2.1 running on iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2019 with 3.7 GHz6-Core Intel Core i5 and 16GB 2667 MHz DDR4.

Connected Audio Devices

Description of Issue

For the first time I’m not able to reestablish a connection with Roon-version 2.0 (build 1244)

I’ve been running my system through a Sonos Port to an integrated amp.

I use 3 other zones with Sonos speakers (4 in total).

I’ve had minor issues in the past, which seemed to clear up with the upgrade of an Eero Pro 6 mesh system.

Thank you in advance or your help.

Probably this existing topic with Roon opening a ticket and apparently a workaround available toward the end of the thread probably:

Thank you for the referenced thread – Airplay was a solution.

I am having same issue since Sonos updated. Roon did push out an update also but it has not resolved yet. I can work around via airplay but for some reason the path stream goes lossless purpose down to green - not knowledgeable enough on why Sonos stream from Roon is lossless but the Roon via Airplay to Sonos changes things a bit. (I can’t say I can hear the difference but I did enjoy seeing the lovely purple instead of the sad green :wink:) Anyway I think Roon will need to fix this.

Airplay is 44.1/16 but Roon, my understanding has to re-packet the stream to Airplays protocol and therefore shows as high quality and not lossless.

It is still lossless.

1 Like

Same issues as my co-posters. Roon and Sonos don‘t lile each other any more

Roon Core Machine

ROCK - NUC8BEB, 256GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, i-5-8259U

Fritzbox 7590
Fritz Repeater 3000 (Sonos Playbase connected via Ethernet, all other sonos devices are connected wireless via sonosnet)
Sonos Boost

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos Playbase (+2x Sonos One + Sub)
Sonos One SL
Sonos Roam
Iphone
Rodecaster Pro USB

“26,000 tracks”.

Description of Issue

Trying to play „via Sonos streaming“ devices throws the „Roon lost connection to Audio device“ error
Both playbase and One SL have the issue
I did not test roam

Airplay works

Sonos version 15.2

Roon OSVersion 1.0 (build 256) production

Roon Server Software

Version 2.0 (build 1244) production

UPDATE: The Sonos ROAM is working fine. Speculation: This could be because it operates directly from the Wifi-Accesspoint and is not part of the proprietary Sonosnet configuration.

2 Likes

Tried the terminal work around: No success. Complexe answer from my mac booK:
To update your account to use zsh, please run chsh -s /bin/zsh.

For more details, please visit Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support.

MacBook-Pro:~ bwassmann$ /Applications/Roon.app/Contents/MacOS/Roon -nosonosflac

2023-04-02 08:46:21.303 Roon[1539:46542] The type Broo.Engine.BrooOpenGLView does not have a constructor that takes an ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle parameter but a constructor that takes an System.IntPtr parameter was found (and will be used instead). It’s highly recommended to change the signature of the System.IntPtr constructor to be ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle.

2023-04-02 08:46:21.363 Roon[1539:46542] The type Broo.Engine.OpenGlWindow does not have a constructor that takes an ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle parameter but a constructor that takes an System.IntPtr parameter was found (and will be used instead). It’s highly recommended to change the signature of the System.IntPtr constructor to be ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle.

2023-04-02 08:46:21.367 Roon[1539:46542] The type Broo.Engine.CocoaComponents does not have a constructor that takes an ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle parameter but a constructor that takes an System.IntPtr parameter was found (and will be used instead). It’s highly recommended to change the signature of the System.IntPtr constructor to be ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle.

2023-04-02 08:46:21.404 Roon[1539:46542] The type Broo.Engine.SooloosSecureTextFieldCell does not have a constructor that takes an ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle parameter but a constructor that takes an System.IntPtr parameter was found (and will be used instead). It’s highly recommended to change the signature of the System.IntPtr constructor to be ObjCRuntime.NativeHandle.

BUT: system is running on a synology NAS. DS220+

Stil waiting for solution.

Hi, Same issues here, rebooting and restarting everything in the house the past weekend with no luck.
But I’m happy to see its a known issue and the Roon-team is looking into it.

I’m not going to do the workaround as I use my Roon system with other endpoints that still work, and I just use the Sonos app for streaming from Qobuz while waiting for a fix.

Goog luck fixing this issue!

Kind regards,
Thomas

My Roon system developed this problem sometime in the middle of last week. I cannot say whether it was immediately after the Roon Core update or the Sonos update.

Today, I did a full power down and sequential restart of my entire home network, to include the cable modem, network switch, Eero, and Sonos devices. I also closed all Roon controller and Sonos apps on my computers and iOS devices, and powered down my computers. My Roon Core is installed on a headless Mac mini M1 that has operated flawlessly.

After all that, I still got the “Roon lost control of the Audio device” when trying to play music on a Sonos device. All of my 5 Sonos speakers show up as enabled in the Roon Audio settings.

Roon functions flawlessly on my 3 Roon streaming endpoints (Lumin, Cambridge, Bluesound). Roon Arc continues to work fine in my car using Apple CarPlay.

I really hope that the Roon and Sonos engineers can solve this problem soon.

At 1:58 EDT, I tried to play the first song in a Daily Mix. The track I attempted to play was Bill Evans/Sunday at the Village Vanguard/Gloria’s Step [Take 3]. I tried to play the track on a Sonos Play 5.

I am unsure if I am yet on your list of having diagnostics enabled. However, I will gladly test again if you confirm that I am on your list of impacted subscribers.

Thanks!

Same. I had an updated play 1 and and a play 1 not updated to the most recent sonos update. Tge updated one failed and the non updated one worked. Updated sonos on all devices and now both play 1s are not playing through Roon. They play via sonos app. 2 connect devices not effected.

Since my Roon rock nuc is headless I won’t be pulling out a monitor to command line temp fix this.

Good luck on the patch when comes. Thanks!

This issue seems intermittent to me. Sometimes I get the “Roon lost control of the audio device” message but when I regroup the same couple of zones it seems to work again it seems to work again. Weird.

Im still waiting for a fix. My airplay recievers still work and my bluesound node2 still works. so frustrating since my kids room all have sonos speakers in them and I have to tell them its currently broken.

Does anyone know how to get the play:1 devices to show up under airplay? I have 5 play:1 devices and they only show up under sonos streaming.???