Sonos - "Roon lost control of the audio device" after Sonos Update [Resolved: Update Sonos Firmware]

I hope it’s not three months.

1 Like

Although a true story, it was just my point of a workaround.

In my experience, @Suedkiez was defensive and argumentative. As a customer, I claimed I was not getting service and was dissatisfied. Instead of helping me find an alternative way to get service, he just claimed I was getting service. Not helpful at all.

Sonos has always worked better using AirPlay , they both need to work together and get it sorted , live radio has always been bad on Sonos.

Yes, I can confirm what @Phil_Ryan stated. I currently only have stability with AirPlay in the Sonos context. However, there were also times when AirPlay did not work reliably. It changes from time to time…

I connected the Play:1 via ethernet - same issue, starts to play, no sound, then “Roon lost control of audio device”

This rather annoying problem seems (to me at least) to be very intermittent. Yesterday the ‘Roon lost control of the audio device’ message was constant. Today, everything seems to work (2 Play 5s in the living room grouped with 2 Play Ones in the kitchen). No idea why this is. Surely if there is an issue with Roon/Sonos integration it should be continuous, at least until it is fixed?

Unfortunately, I am also affected.
No more music, which is a great pity.
Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Hi @Lukas_Metzler do you have S2 Sonos units. If so enable them for AirPlay in Roon settings.

Any tips for the S1?

Only works with Sonos Ones second generation and later (and anything newer).
Older play 1s and Play 3s don’t have the chips required but can be paired with modern devices.
That’s what I had to do for 6 months and turn down the volume to 0 on the one I was using to link with as it was not somewhere I could leave it in use most of the time

You can have S2 running Sonos units without AirPlay, Play:1s that don’t at the moment.

@Menzies For the siderooms a good idea. Thank you.
But the problem is that in the main room I have a SONOS Connect (S2) which has no Airplay.
This SONOS Connect is modified by Dr. Gert Volk (http://www.aktivgeregelt.de/) what improves the sound quality enormously.

See above @Michael_Harris workaround. Might help you with the Connect.

I realise this is an old topic but I found it because I am having this same problem - so it looks like it still exists - at least it does for me.
I can’t group zones in Roon without Roon ‘losing control of device’ this happens with two zones or five. The only way I can group zones is - as suggested in this topic - to group the zones in Sonos before quitting the app and then grouping in Roon.
Has anyone found an easier fix for this issue?

1 Like

Hi Jez this is a new topic created after the recent 15.2 update that has broken Roon for many user’s.

If you have more modern Sonos device’s you can add them in Roon as Airplay devices until Roon have tested and published a fix

2 Likes

New as in 8 days ago…

1 Like

In Roon time that is like a couple of hours at best

But I was pointing out that his problem is probably related to the 15.2 update from Sonos

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your patience as we continue to work through this issue. Here’s what we know so far:

The Sonos 15.2+ release contained some changes to the Sonos network. These network changes have caused both S1 and S2 devices in the majority of network setups to reject FLAC-format audio streams from Roon.

This error manifests as a playback failure followed by this error in Roon: “Roon Lost Control of the Audio Device.”

Since Roon reencodes audio streams into FLAC automatically when playing to a Sonos-networked endpoint, users will require one of two workarounds:

One workaround is to change protocols by connecting to Sonos endpoints via Airplay.

Another workaround is to prevent Roon from reencoding audio streams to FLAC with Sonos devices by running Roon with the -nosonosflac Flag enabled. For step-by-step instructions of the Flag workaround, please see this staff post above: Sonos - "Roon lost control of the audio device" after Sonos Update [Ticket In, See Workaround] - #55

Certain network combinations to Sonos devices using ethernet and WiFi are unaffected by this problem, as is the case with helpful user @AMT’ network. That there are exceptions to this new issue makes sense, given that Sonos endpoints can pass audio stream (and other network traffic) both between each other and to/from the router.

The team is actively reproducing this issue and narrowing down a permanent solution. Your notes and detailed descriptions from this thread are useful data points in our investigation.

We recognize some of you are beyond the point of frustration. The workarounds are not ideal. However, for those who are without music - using Airplay or disabling FLAC playback to Sonos with the Flag will restore playback to your system in the meantime.

I will post an additional update here as soon as I have one to share. Thank you again for your patience.

12 Likes

Thank you. As I posted earlier, if you can’t support older equipment that has changed/updated that’s not your fault. Sonos or others may change their products and you can’t control/fix all of that.

I’ve gotten a lot of life out of my old S1s. Good luck and just let us know if it’s beyond your control.

1 Like