Sonos - "Roon lost control of the audio device" after Sonos Update [Resolved: Update Sonos Firmware]

Thanks for the update and for working on this so quickly!

In case it is helpful, I wanted to tell you that my Legacy 1.8 Core sees all my Sonos devices, whereas my up-to-date Core does not.

Whatā€™s the timeframe on this as Iā€™m experiencing buyerā€™s remorse.

1 Like

Glad this is being followed up. For me it pre-dates the Sonos 15.2 release. I had given up and just used a Chromecast audio dongle into the back of a Play 5 but that was pretty unsatisfactory for several reasons. Really hope a fix appears!

Just subscribing to this thread - first experienced this yesterday at one of my houses I hadnā€™t been to in a week. Glad to know itā€™s being worked. Airplay in the meantime is just fine.

1 Like

Yesterday, I had live radio via roon and airplay to a sonos one cutting out all at sudden. Donā€™t know if it was a one-off thing or live radio specific. I switched to the sonos app and listened to the same stream without further interruptions.

Hello,
My Roon lost as well the control of my 3 Sonos Play1.

Thanks for your support

1 Like

Still no connection ti my Sonos play 1 since one week. Workaround doesnā€™t work for me. Waiting for Roon solution

2 Likes

same here with 2 x Sonos 5 gen 1

Donā€™t forget guys, if you have S2 Sonos equipment (the exception is the Connect) you will have AirPlay as an option within Roon.

Playbar, Play:1, Play:3 and Play:5 (Gen 1) do not have AirPlay.

Sonos compatibility with AirPlay

The following Sonos products are compatible with AirPlay:

• Amp
  • Arc
  • Arc SL
  • Beam (Gen 1)
  • Beam (Gen 2)
  • Era 100
  • Era 300
  • Five
  • Move
  • One (Gen 1)
  • One (Gen 2)
  • One SL
  • Play:5 (Gen 2)
  • Playbase
  • Port
  • Ray
  • Roam
  • Roam SL
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 1)
  • SYMFONISK Bookshelf (Gen 2)
  • SYMFONISK Floor lamp
  • SYMFONISK Picture frame
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 1)
  • SYMFONISK Table lamp (Gen 2)
2 Likes

I gave up and picked up a new Sonos Five and Two Era 100sā€¦ sounds greatā€¦ missed Roon. Love it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that is quite right, the play 1 is S2 but no Airplay. Some work with S1 & S2.

With Airplay

Hi @Phil_Ryan

Youā€™ve linked the S1 and S2 app information and devices compatible with each.

Do you refer to the Play:1 or One. These are two difference devices.

Yes Play 1: can be used with S2 but no Airplay.
Iā€™ve just updated my old Play 1 to an ERA100 to gain Airplay in Roon

1 Like

I urge you to read my post above again.

I listed Airplay compatible devices which came from the same place as your second link above. The Play:1 isnā€™t in that list.

The Play:1 is a S1 (aka Series 1) device but works on the S2 app.

Let me know how it sounds.

I do see the point but the first part seems to refer that S2 gives you Airplay but then you seem to quote the connect does not and others, maybe it would just be better for people to refer to the Sonos list of Airplay models?

I know the problem with ā€œRoon lost control of the audio deviceā€ is nothing new since there are multiple posts related to this problem. Now Iā€™m having the same problem any time I try to play any music through Sonos speakers. I have tried everything that has been suggested to no avail. I have also spent hours with Sonos technical and all I get is that this is a problem with Roon and not Sonos. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Well it took the wife three days that it was a different speaker. One might never get spotted.

Sound wise itā€™s hard to tell as itā€™s in the bedroom so itā€™s never played loud, however at low volumes the bass seems more defined, iā€™m very pleased with it.

More to the point itā€™s been playing BBC live radio all day without any cut offs which i wanted to achieve.

I think itā€™s either the cpu or wireless in the old units are just not upto the job of processing the live radio feeds.

2 Likes

Canā€™t connect to my audio device via Sonos stream (via AirPlay it is possible):
ā€œroon lost control of the audio deviceā€

Same Issue like here:

Configuration details:
ā€¢ Roon R.O.C.K on PrimeMini with an Intel i7 and 16 GB RAM
ā€¢ Remote(s): Macbook (MacOS 12.6.4, Intel i5, Roon build 1244)
ā€¢ Networking details: Iā€™m using two routers: One Router (FritzBox 7430) connected to the internet and one attached router (Linksys) to the FritzBox where the Roon Core and the Sonos Playbase are plugged-in with RJ45 cable. I use DHCP at the Linksys Router - also sometimes VPN, but the issue persists when VPN is off.
ā€¢ Audi Devices: Sonos Playbase and Sonos Sub
ā€¢ Library details: Qobuz streaming service, about 500 tracks as well as on local album

Iā€™ve moved your post into the existing Support thread. Perhaps the workaround mentioned in the thread will help you.

1 Like