Sorting by most recent date added to library?

Roon Core Machine

NUC8i5BEH, 8GB of RAM (2x 4GB DDR4-2400 CL17), 500GB NVMe SSD boot drive (WD Black SN770), 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD for music (Samsung 870 EVO).

Networking Gear & Setup Details

My ROCK is hardwired directly into my Verizon Fios-G1100 router via ethernet. The router is hardwired into the Nokia 211 ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that Verizon supplied me with (Model number: G-211M-C).

Connected Audio Devices

I have a pair of KEF LSX speakers hooked up to my M1 MacBook Pro, via Aux. I also have the KEF’s connected to Roon via the network. My MacBook is how I access the core, and manage my files via the network.

Number of Tracks in Library

1,622 Artists, 3,897 Albums, 28,609 Tracks, 25 Composers.

Description of Issue

If you delete and re-add songs/albums to the library, Roon remembers the date you FIRST added these songs to your library. For me, that was 87 days ago. Is there a way for me to sort my library contents by the date these songs have MOST RECENTLY been added to the library?

For more context, I’m new to Roon and am working to get my library set up properly for the first time. I had previously added every album/track in my collection to the library, and discovered many of the tags were incorrect, among other things. I decided to delete and re-add every file back into Roon one by one, so I can edit the tags as I go to ensure everything is in order.

The problem is, when I add these songs back into Roon, I cannot find a way to see the items I just re-added at the TOP of any view in Roon. This includes the “Recent activity” view when sorted by date added, and the album or track views when sorted by date added as well.

Do y’all have any creative workarounds to help me out? It would be much appreciated! Thank you!

I’m also not closed off to starting my library from scratch (deleting all metadata, playlists, tags, etc.), if theres a way to do that. If there’s a way to keep all metadata for my library, but wipe the date-added field, I’d also possibly be open to that?

As far as I know, you have to use a very tedious manual edit to do this. I recently went through 3000 albums and edited the date added on half of them. I wanted the Tidal and Qobuz albums to line up side by side. I had to open the album and select all the tracks, then click on edit tracks and change the date. I started by clicking on an album, then Versions. I opened one to get the date, then used that date for the other version.

There is a workaround, but it involves quite some manual work.
You can change the ‘import date’ of an album (which corresponds with the ‘added date’ by editing all its tracks. Let me show you:

Open the album which you want to update, and right-click on the 1st track to select it

Click on the Select field and select all tracks

Click on the 3 horizontal dots to select Edit

Then click on Edit Tracks

Now you can either manually enter the date you enter the date of your preference

or select ‘set from modification date’ (have not used this option myself)

In either case, do not forget to save at the bottom of the screen.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thank you both for the very thoughtful replies!

I should add, the only reason I don’t like the original import date being used is because it makes it hard to locate the album in my library without using the search box.

My goal is to be able to drag and drop 5-10 items at a time onto the Rock, and see all 10 of those items at the top of a list somewhere in Roon, so I can quickly glance over them, see if it split an album into two albums, if the tags are correct, if the volume leveling is alright, etc. What I’m trying to avoid is needing to add albums one by one, and searching for the album using the search box.

I usually sort by Artist to find specific albums.

If you have removed them to re-edit them if you clean up library it may remove the entries so they start off new again worth a go.

2 Likes

That’s actually what I just tried doing. TBD on if it worked or not, but it seems to have!

I’ve begun to experience a new problem now where my NUC won’t stay on for more than 15 seconds. Ugh. As such, I cannot see if cleaning my library of deleted files fixed the issue stated in this thread. See the thread attached if you feel you have a solution for me on my new issue.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.