Spectrum Internet WiFi 6 Router (SAX1V1K)

Hi @Joshua_Nelson,

The above screenshot looks correct.

However, I noticed your accessing the Spectrum app while connected to the internet via WiFi on your phone. I’ve heard several user reports out in the wild that settings changes (including, very likely, port forwarding rule creation) won’t take effect in the app when connected to the network in question. It might be worth connecting via data, deleting and recreating the port forwarding rule, and then powering the router on/off before trying to connect again.

Thank you for your patience, @Joshua_Nelson. While I know it’s a circuitous path, these insights are immensely valuable as we try to head off these issues for ARC users down the road.

Power cycled the router and laptop/core to no avail.

Can you elaborate?

• Connect what via “data”? (iPhone or laptop)

• Is “data” meaning ethernet"

• I’d have to get an adapter for either

I can only access my router UI via the app on my phone. I cannot access it via my laptop. This is a limitation Spectrum imposes.

Hey @Joshua_Nelson,

Sure thing. I just mean to use your iPhone’s cellular connection (4G/5G) instead of the WiFi network to connect your iPhone to the internet while you’re making changes in the Spectrum web app.

You’d be effecting changes on the same network you’re using to connect. I think you need to try to make the port forwarding rule again but with your phone’s WiFi disabled, using cellular data.

Oh, got cha’. doing it now.

1 Like

Ok, so we’ve double checked the IP assignment, as well as done the best we can to rule out inconsistencies in the Spectrum setup.

You can verify that the MAC address is also correct on the Apple computer:

1. Select Apple menu > System Preferences.
  2. Click Network.
  3. Click the network you would like to view the MAC address for.
  4. Click Advanced.
  5. Click Hardware.
  6. The MAC address is listed below.

I’ll dig into some next steps from here.

Only my phone is in the Jobsian fold; my computer/Roon core is a Lenovo/WIN10 (in case this matters)

I see 3 MAC addresses in the snip below?
-deleted

1 Like

Forgot to tell you. I did the process for port forwarding via data; power cycled the router, my iPhone and the laptop/core. Opened/closed desktop Roon several times. No change.

Could my WIN10 firewall be a variable here?

1 Like

Ohh, the third MAC address in my snip “58:00:e…” matches what’s in my router UI. This must be good! @connor

1 Like

Man - no worries; this is a beta test. Glad all the efforts will have value for the Roon team devs’.!

1 Like

@connor how 'bout this - BOOM! (kind of)

• My phone’s wifi is off,
  • Roon ARC app states it’s not connected
  • Roon desktop/core states “Not Ready”

Here it comes…

…and yet I can play my Roon library over the data connection to my phone.

1 Like

Hey @Joshua_Nelson,

Just to clarify, you can play local content in the ARC app on your phone?

Not sure what “local content” means? But, I’m playing content from my core library (on desktop), in the ARC app as I would expect the mobile experience to work, via the data connection to my iPhone.

The app crashed and I just submitted the report to “the developer” with my email address.

Upon re-boot, things are continuing to work as described above.

1 Like

Just took a walk around the block - @connor

• Roon ARC setting in desktop/core still says “Not Ready”

From the Roon ARC app, on my iPhone (with wifi on phone turned off)

• Played tracks in my core/only on my laptop
  • Played streaming tracks from TIDAL
  • Played tracks from my Roon desktop playlists
  • They all say “low quality”, but sound great; see pic below for low quality

1 Like

I’m done for today. I’ll check back with you tomorrow. THIS IS GREAT!

1 Like

@connor One follow up, if I close my Roon core/sleep my laptop the Roon ARC app will not connect via my cell/data connection.

• Is it such that the intended mobile experinece on the Roon ARC app requires my laptop/core to be connected to the internet and the Roon desktop app. to be open?

• Will I need some other core option (device), if I don’t want to leave my laptop/core on/connected with Roon desktop app. open, when wanting to use the Roon ARC mobile app.?

Adjusting the Roon ARC app. settings to “Cellular/Original Format” plays lossless!

Hi @Joshua_Nelson,

Thank you for the continued updates here, I’m back online to support and I’m thrilled to hear that you’ve got ARC up and running! It’s possible that the Spectrum settings took a few hours to take effect; it’s also likely that the Core connectivity banner is displaying incorrect information.

A few notes in response to your posts last night:

• It appears you’ve encountered some new, rare, and (in this case) misleading errors regarding Core connectivity that developers have just identified in a ticket. If you’ve been able to stream local content (library tracks) as well as Tidal from ARC, then you are assuredly synced with your Core. This is wonderful news.

The transcoding and signal path might not be correct here. We’re sorting out some issues around how this information is displayed under different conditions. For now, I’m thrilled to hear that you’re able to stream content. I expect that we’ll have these issues sorted up shortly and a cleaner release will be out to test soon.

It’s true - your Core will need to remain online for ARC to work on cellular data. Just like with Roon Remotes, the Core is responsible for your DSP, library management, transcoding, processing, etc.

Obviously, for users with all-in-one Cores (not headless servers or stand-alone units), this is a bit more of a commitment. We’re trying to anticipate the frustrating scenarios where energy settings or power outages back home could endanger a listening experience on-the-go. For now, tweaking your energy/battery settings so your Core can stay online as long as possible is what I would recommend.

Please share any thoughts, questions, concerns, or exclamations, and we’ll be here to intake and support!

1 Like

@connor really appreciate your time in response(s); I’m sure you have many “Josh’s” with their own sets of items to sort/debug.

Ok, all is clear for now. At minimum (and maximum, really, lol) I have the Roon mobile experience, which is GREAT! And it sounds like some of the issues we’ve been going over will clear with future releases etc.

Since I’m planning on utilizing this new ARC mobile capability long-term from my core build-out (playlists, library structure etc) what is a low-cost, always-on, alternative to my laptop - to house my core? I’m not a high-buck Nucleus/or other dedicated hardware candidate.

Just want a simple, synced home/mobile solution that streams to one home endpoint - my Sonos Arc 5.1.2 system, and provides the same build-out for mobile use.

Make sense; any suggestions?

Oh, and most importantly, regardless of what Roon ARC settings say - mobile streaming continues to work as expected this morning. KUDOS to the Roon dev effort on this. :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hey @Joshua_Nelson,

Super pleased to hear that it’s up and running! We’re looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you continue to try it out, and keep an eye out for new test versions released through TestFlight (the app you used to install ARC).

As for a more permanent Core setup, you could invest in any small computer (like an older Mac Mini) and it would do the trick, provided it meets the minimum processing/RAM specifications for running a Roon Core. I’d recommend asking this type of question in the #audio-gear-talk category, as I know for a fact our user base has dozens of good recommendations (and strong opinions!).

Here to answer any questions as they come up!

1 Like