Spinning disk on mac

Dylan,

Will give it a go later today. Do I need to grab the logs after a spinning disk event? Also, I don’t have dropbox account - how else shall I get them to you?

Thanks,

Dan

PM sent with instructions, @DJD

Dylan,

Just uploaded zip file DJD-Dan.zip

disk was spinning at 3:25, 3:27, 3:29.
its pretty much spinning anytime I select a track and hit play now

Dan

1 Like

Thanks @DJD!

I’ll pass this along to the technical team for analysis and let you know when I receive feedback from them.

-Dylan

Any word there yet?

Hey there @DJD,

Thanks for your patience here as we investigate. I spoke with the team about this, and they’re still looking into it at this time. In order to gain some greater insight into this, the team has requested the following:

1. Can you confirm whether or not there is any active antivirus or firewall on the Core machine?
    • If so, does disabling them yield any changes?
  2. The team has asked for a Sample Process log from your machine when this behavior is occuring.
    • Open Activity Monitor, make sure the CPU tab is selected.
    • Select the Roon application from the list.
    • Click the Action pop-up menu (looks like a gear) in the toolbar, then select Sample Process.
    • A new window will open to display the sample. When Activity Monitor finishes sampling, click Save and save the result as a text file.
  3. The logs that you sent only contained the RAATServer log files. Using the same instructions as before, can you locate your database again and grab the Roon logs? They should be in the Logs folder nested within the Logs folder and contain files similar to this: Roon_log.01.

Please upload the logs and sample process file in a zipped folder (with your username in part of the folder name) when you’re able and I’ll pass them over to the team.

Thanks!
Dylan

Dylan - just sent a zip file - DJD-Dan2.zip.
The spinning occurred 3 times this morning - 6:34, 6:35, 6:36 - pretty much any tine I added a new track. I’ll look later today at the fire wall situation - although I haven’t changed anything in years.

Dan

1 Like

@dylan

Just checked and the firewall is not on. And I don’t see any antivirus software - but will look for it more later today.

Dan

Thanks for the update, @DJD!

I’ve passed this along to the team for analysis. I’ll be sure to reach out to you when I receive feedback from them.

-Dylan

Hey @DJD,

Thanks for your patience during the investigation here! I had a chat with the team and have some next steps.

First, we’d like to gather a little more information about how you’re using Roon:

• What screens are you using the most in Roon?
  • What screen(s) is Roon left running idle on the most?
  • How often do you completely exit Roon?

Next, we think that this seems to be occurring only with the UI of Roon. We’d like to see if there are any improvements when you are running RoonServer as opposed to Roon on the machine. Please install RoonServer on the Core machine and use RoonServer + Remotes instead of the Roon UI directly on the machine.

When you do this do you still experience the CPU spikes?

Regards,
Dylan

Dylan,

Typically I go to albums - scroll thru - pick something then hit play. After that I typically control ROON with the iPad.

Screen mostly left at the album I first played.

Don’t usually exit ROON unless there is a problem.

Can you walk me thru the steps to install ROON Server? Do I need to uninstall everything ROON?

Dan

Thanks for the info, @DJD.

We have a great article I’d recommend looking at here. For installing RoonServer, I’d recommend the following steps:

• Make a backup of your Roon database
  • Uninstall Roon (just the application, not database and settings)
  • Install RoonServer
  • Locate your database
  • Rename your Roon folder to RoonServer

From here you can use RoonServer on the Mac and connect to the Core remotely using a different machine with Roon installed.

If you have any other questions about this just let me know!

-Dylan

Will try this. But, does this approach mean I won’t be able to control ROON on the Mac?

@dylan - also - do your folks know why the Mac is unhappy running the ROON UI - it was fine for 3 years or so…

Hey @DJD,

Correct, during this you cannot use the Roon UI from the Mac. You can go back to using the Roon UI afterwards if you’d like (uninstall RoonServer, install Roon, change folder back to Roon), but this test will allow us to confirm that it is the UI.

The technical team is currently investigating this. With this test (using RoonServer) it will confirm whether or not what you are seeing is related to the UI and will be a great data point as we continue our investigation.

Regards,
Dylan

@dylan - will perform the surgery this Friday or Saturday

Dan

1 Like

Just eliminate ROON from the Mac and downloaded RoonServer. When I went to rename ROON per above it said RoonServer already existed. So I deleted what was called Roon. The icon in the Mac doc doesn’t indicate roon is running.

When I go to the iPad it says it can’t connect to roon core. Asking if I want to connect to another core. When I say yes it list the Mac and it wants to ‘setup’ everything again - storage, TIDAL, etc…is this what should be happening?

Dan

@dylan - meant to tag you in the above message

@dylan - Tried to go backwards and now I have nothing working. I would appreciate some assistance as soon as possible please.

Dan

Hey @DJD,

The Roon folder contained your database. The RoonServer folder that was created was a “blank” database and moving that and replacing it with your Roon folder would have moved your database to RoonServer.

The good news is you can restore the backup from step one of the instructions above and once you do you should be good to go.

Thanks,
Dylan