Spinning disk on mac

Is it possible for you or your folks to ‘take over’ my computer and see what is going on?

Hey @DJD,

Would you be able to share a screenshot of what you’re seeing in Roon?

By this, do you mean that you uninstalled RoonServer and reinstalled Roon? And when you did it’s asking you to setup a “fresh” database?

If so, restoring the backup you made should get you back up and running here.

-Dylan

Thought I was deleting RoonServer and reinstalling Roon (from the trash). What is confusing is that Roon is showing as Roon 1.1 build 70 - even though I was on 1.5 and 334…it’s also asking me if I want to use this Mac as my music library ir remote??

Hey @DJD,

It sounds like you reinstalled Roon but possibly an older version.

Based on this it seems like Roon was installed but the database needs restored. Here is what I recommend:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of Roon installed.
  2. Choose to use the Mac as your library.
  3. Restore the backup that you previously made.

Once you do this you should be back to where you were before.

Thanks,
Dylan

Ok - after 2 days and having to redo my settings/ import albums from my NAS/ etc…I seem to be back where I was. I am not so inclined to delete ROON and add RoonServer again. Are there other options to fix the spinning disk problem?

Sorry for the troubles, @DJD!

Here’s what I’d try for now — You can start Roon on your Core machine, but try only controlling it from remote devices. The UI will still be in use since you’ll be leaving it running on the Core, but you won’t be actively engaging with it since you’ll use a remote device. Give that a try for a little while and let me know if you still see the same slowdown behavior.

Thanks,
Dylan

@dylan

I will do this because it is the only way to avoid dealing with the spinning disk, but it isn’t solving the problem. Did your team not learn anything from all the logs and process samples I sent? It is clear to me that the problem is with ROON’s UI - do you guys have any idea what is going on?

Dan

Hey @DJD,

First, I want to thank you for your patience and cooperation during the investigation process.

This report is still under investigation by the team. The logs and process samples you sent have definitely been appreciated and useful to the team.

I know that it’s not a permanent solution, but knowing that it doesn’t occur when using a remote and just leaving the Roon UI is definitely a good data point for the team and does point toward UI interactions being the root cause, so having that confirmed is definitely a big help.

The team is continuing their investigation into what may be happening here and I’ll be sure to update you as soon as the team gives me their feedback.

Regards,
Dylan

@dylan

Just tried to setup convolution filters but the iPad says it can’t do that. Is that true? I have to go back to the core (mac) for that? Would that be different if I had done the RoonServer?

Dan

@dylan. Is it my imagination or has ROON support response gotten less helpful/responsive? It’s clear ROON has many more subscribers since I first bought my lifetime subscription and I’m wondering if that is impacting support…I’m not feeling like I’m getting help on this spinning disk issue…while we have communicated a good bit and I have sent everything requested I haven’t heard any ideas on what may be wrong…not trying to be a pain here but…

Dan

I wish to offer my sincere apologies on the delayed response here, @DJD.

I want to thank you for your patience here as we continue to investigate. I had a chat with the team regarding the status of their investigation today and I have some good news for you — We were able to reproduce similar behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.

While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and we will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved.

Correct, you are not able to use an iPad device to add convolution filters in Roon. For this you would need to use a Windows or Mac device as a remote, or you can use the Core machine itself for this.

Thank you again for your continued patience here, Dan, and once again I apologize for the delay. I’ll be sure to update you ASAP when I have any new information regarding this investigation.

Kind Regards,
Dylan

@dylan - any news here?

Hey @DJD — Apologies for the delayed response here!

I checked our internal tracker and confirmed that the ticket is still open with our development team. It’s definitely on our radar but unfortunately I cannot make any promises as to when any changes will be made here. What I can promise is that I’ll be sure to keep this thread updated as things progress.

In the meantime, you should be able to avoid this behavior by using a remote device to control Roon.

Kind regards,
Dylan

Hey @DJD,

I wanted to reach out and let you know that we just released build 339 of Roon, which includes a fix for a UI memory leak. Please give this update a go and let us know if you’re still experiencing any difficulties.

You can read more about this release here:

-Dylan

1 Like

Will give it a go - assuming I can over come the spinning disk.