Spontaneous Playback and Volume Change on Roon (ref#P19HDK)

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Description of Issue

At just after 2:00 one morning last week I was awakened by the system playing, though I hadn’t turned it on. After I turned it off it started again on its own, and this repeated twice. When I thought it was off and went back to bed, after 10 seconds it came back on at a much louder volume—a volume that can destroy speakers. At that point I unplugged everything.

I can see some of this in the attached log file, but I cannot determine what caused Roon to start playing and especially what accounts for the volume change. I can report that when I plugged the NAD device back in, the volume setting was normal as I left it.

Roon Server Platform

macOS

Roon Server Specifications

an imac, about 6 years old

Connected Audio Devices

NAD receiver (338 I think—I’m no longer in that location)

Home Network Details

wifi

Are you sure it was Roon that was playing? Did you ever allow anyone to use Spotify Connect with your NAD, using their phone?

Asking because it is unfortunately the normal operation of Spotify Connect that anyone who ever connects to it retains control of your system, even if they are not in this location anymore. I.e., they can play and change volume even from the other side of the globe over the internet.

Note that Roon itself does not allow control over the internet. Anyone controlling your system with Roon would have to be on the same LAN as your Roon server, which means usually in the same house/apartment.

1 Like

Hi @Dan_Freed,

Thank you for the report. The team would like to try to pinpoint the event by activating diagnostic mode for your account, which will automatically request log reports to our servers.

Which date did this occur? Do you recall the track that began to play?

RoonServer can’t automatically begin playback unless root-level control software on RoonServer or authorized within the LAN instructs it too. Third-party applications like home automation software, digital alarm clock apps, or virtual mixers that have a timing control component might have this authority.

Do you have any home automation involved on the network where this occurred? What about extensions like Roon Alarm Clock?