Spotify integration with Roon, Please vote

I would not use Spotify…but, if the Roon team could add support and not have it take time away from other projects, why object?

This is a moot poll as Spotify will never work with Roon as they think their interface and software is what makes them standout out, not the music. It’s just a waste of bits…

4 Likes

Because it inevitably WOULD take resources away. Major bugs remain unfixed since years.

1 Like

Spotify Connect should be doable. It could just show as a radio station with a Spotify logo. That is all that is needed.

I am another NO vote. I don’t use it, don’t need it, so don’t want it.

My family uses Apple Music, and while it would be a convenience to have that integrated into Roon, I don’t need it or want it. My own extensive local library and Qobuz Sublime+ account keep me in enough trouble! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’d rather see Roon work on their Tidal/Qobuz integration so that new music Fridays isn’t always this extended forensics session to figure out whats actually been released and where it resides. Plenty for Roon to do besides chasing down the Spotify unicorn.

4 Likes

My 2 p

Unless either or Tidal/Qobuz go south I see no reason to extend services , the debate around Amazon, Apple etc are all driven by the big boys , the more specialized services like IDAGIO and Primephonic are 98% covered by Tidal/Qobuz

If Roon has spare dev time (:rofl::rofl::rofl:) it would be better spent knocking off long standing feature requests , Box Sets for me

Enough …

3 Likes

God no… The whole point of Roon is the integration and cross referencing that allows. This leads you on a musical journey if you choose.

Spotify is not really an audio quality first type of company.
Do we need this, as Roon users.

I already have Spotify connect via Ropieee XL. That’s good enough for me.
I would prefer Deezer, Amazon HD, and legit Qobuz access in OZ first.

Roon would need to create a new indicator colour, maybe brown.
Descriptive: FM style equalisation, emphasised bass and fuzzy mids and rolled highs check.
Lol. :wink:

2 Likes

Spotify connect is available via Ropieee XL or end points.

So how do you explain the existence of Radio stations in Roon?
I think you could see Spotify connect as similar.

Yes but that is useless if your DAC is RoonReady. And it would not allow you to stream it to multiple rooms at the same time. You can do that with internet radio stations.

That’s an idea but would soon lead to complaints as to why it can’t integrate in a similar way people complain about the lack on phone app versions, failing to realise it’s not designed to be the full Roon experience.
Also people will ask, why do I need Roon if all I use is Spotify? The point is, if you use Roon to any extent, you probably won’t need Spotify on it in that way…
The whole point of Roon is integration, surely?

Just thinking allowed but it’s really up to the Roon devs and their vision for the project.

I do not think there will be more complaints than there is now.
Personally I use Tidal with Roon.
Spotify is mainly for the rest of the household that do not care about Roon at all or guests that just want to play something from their Spotify playlist and they do not care about Roon either. Remember using Roon is the corner case. I am the odd user not my family or friends :grinning:
And by the way I would choose Apple Watch as a simple remote over Mobile sync. I am quite happy with using Tidal offline playlist for mobile.

1 Like

20 months and 230 yes votes.
Case closed, or is it?..

1 Like

All fake news. They‘ve stolen the vote! Supreme Court! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy:

This is how Roon positions itself ( How Roon Works - Connecting Roon to Your Music Server & Devices (roonlabs.com)
“Roon brings all your music together, so you don’t have to worry about where it’s stored, what format it’s in, or where you stream it from.”

Spotify has a very large library, at least much larger than Qobuz and everyone has it.
This is why Roon should work on including support.
Note that I guess many people play some MP3 in some zones or at some moments anyway.

1 Like

This is not in Roon’s gift. If Spotify won’t allow full integration, it’s not going to work.

I guess the discussion about what streaming service is better than the other can go on for ever. In the end it will came down to where you live, and taste/preference. It will differ from person to person. The combination that works best for me is Spotify and Deezer.

There is however another feature request that would solve this, and that is the ability to use Roon as an output for basically whatever you would like to listen. Then everyone could listen to whatever they like on whatever they like using Roon as the infrastructure. I basically always have some kind of playlist/album playing but most of the time this is not me sitting down in the living room actually listening, so quality is not always highest up on the priority list. In the house I have mostly Bluesound/Sonos devices, but in the workshop and basement I have a simpler setup. Roon could easily bridge these together into one system.

I tested Roon a while back, but in my opinion it lacked the same thing as most of the streaming hardware, that whatever you want to listen to have to be played/integrated into their app. And to be honest I have never understood or been able to get a straight answer from NAD or Sonos. I can only imagine that it is because they would lose the ability to mine data of you, and it is probably the same for Roon.

I would vote yes for spotify. I used to use Deezer and was quite happy with it. Now I’m using a 4 month trial with tidal. I’m not a big fan. And I think Mqa is the worst thing to happen to music since Milli Vinelli was found out. Qobuz is not available in Canada.

I do find spotify Playlist to be top notch.

2 Likes