Squeezebox replacement?

Yes, Android.

@GMahal,

Do you happen to have a mesh wireless network?

For example wireless range extenders around your houseā€¦

+1 for mesh wifi. Here a ipad screenshot of my eero mesh. Best solution I have found so far (hard wiring is always best, but this works very well in my setup).

1 Like

I have a different experience with Mesh.I use Open Mesh APā€™s and I have had nothing but problem in meshmode.
As soon as I put them on GW mode all problems go away. My thinking is that roon is latency sensitive.

Hard wiring is always the best answer. I recently installed a cat 6 line from my intake router to the media center. Media center components are connected via a gigabit switch. Works flawlessly. The mesh wifi by eero was almost as good, but not quite. The media center hookup took a huge load off of my wifi. Canā€™t weigh in on other brands, but eero has worked better than anything Iā€™ve ever used, and they are always improving it with firmware releases. No dead spots in my house to speak of.

1 Like

I know how you feel. I love my Squeezeboxes because it was a company that I had supported since their early days when they were making SlimMP3s. I think the ā€˜grassrootsā€™ beginning of SlimMP3 was what made the device so good and why Logitech purchased the company. The community was heavily involved coding pluginā€™s, and fans would show off on the forums how theyā€™d integrating the device directly into their home walls and even their cars (which was pretty amazing at the time). Slimp3 also developed their software as Open Source, which was extremely progressive at the time, which likely attracted a lot of geeky people. At that point in tech history (2001), everything was incredible proprietary, yet here was a little company that had this KickStarter like vibe.

Much better software and hardware exist today, but I still have a soft spot for a company and product that I felt like I was contributing too. Plus, throwing away things that still function and adding to our generations cybers trash just bugs me. I guess Iā€™m really only found Roon because it extended my Logitech equipment lifespan until I can move on to a newer system. :smiley:

6 Likes

Highly debateable.

3 Likes

Many interesting suggestions here. Thanks to everyone.

I think a windows 10 mini desktop would work best for me. I have windows 10 computers everywhere, and have tried installing both Squeezelite and Squeezeplayer on one of these machines, and found Squeezeplayer to work as an endpoint. I wasnā€™t able to get Squeezelite to install.

Although Squeezeplayer installed and was recognized by Roon, it isnā€™t synching properly. There must be a tweak to fix that. Maybe I need to start a new thread to discuss that, but thought I would try here first.

Anyone looking to replace squeezebox tough for Roon should look at a pi with a good hat, official screen and Ropieee to run it all.

1 Like

Problem with that is I have many Squeezebox endpoints and I would like to group them. Also, I have no need for a screen - just the squeezebox endpoint. In the distant past I had a Linux machine, but havenā€™t used any OS other than android and windows for quite some time. I suppose I could spend the time to learn a new OS, but I would rather pay a couple more dollars and get to listening to the music quicker. :wink:

If I could get Squeezelite to run, that would probably be my best approach. It is headless (I will not be using this machine to control anything) and will handle just about any resolution. I would hope that it doesnā€™t have the synch-lag problem I just experienced with Squeezeplay.

Take a look at Ropieeeā€™s instructions for getting started. Thereā€™s really not much to it, which is the whole idea behind Ropieee.

1 Like

True you would not be able to group them. If you want to stick with squeezebox for this, then pi hat etc and use picoreplayer as that uses squeezelite and works fine with Roon. I used it until I went full Roon as was in the Squeezebox eco myself. Itā€™s simple to setup.

Maybe I should rethink Squeezeboxā€¦? What would be the advantage of Roon Bridge over these old Squeezeboxes?

BTW, I think the Raspberryā€™s ethernet speed is only 100Mbps (or even 10Mbps). How does that affect sound quality (as opposed to 1000Mbps)?

Disclaimer: Iā€™m the author of RoPieee, but also an ex-Squeezebox user.

But itā€™s simple: sound quality. As much as I like the Squeezebox, Roon is just on another level. And for me it was the first one that beat the good olā€™ Squeezebox.

The Raspberryā€™s 100MB ethernet interface is more than enough to play high-res audio.

Anyone use the HiFiBerry AMP+ (rather than the DAC + power amp)?

Do you need Noobs installed on the SD card - or just RoPieee? (Iā€™ll not use this Raspberry Pi for anything but playing music.)

Just ropieee

Yes I have one in my second room with a touch screen as well all connected to a pair of old Celestion bookshelf speakers. Itā€™s not half bad.

Just Ropieee here.

I noticed that using Roon Bridge in Ropieee produced a better sound than PiCorePlayer player in Roon itā€™s also more stable overall and with a touchscreen does not suffer from some of the issues Jivelite does on the Pi.