Static Noise/Pop with Bluesound Node's USB Output

Hello everyone, I’ve been having an issue with playback from my Bluesound Node with its USB output only when playing through Roon. There is an audible and sometimes rhythmic static pop that persists. I’ve tried absolutely everything to remedy this and it seems as though Roon is the issue. Typically I use the Coax output on the Node and its flawless. Ever since switching to USB (since the long anticipated update) from the Node to my Chord Qutest, I’ve had this problem. If I use Tidal connect, there is no static. I’ve tried everything from switching cables, factory resets on the Node, all types of troubleshooting with Bluesound’s support, but everything seems to come back to Roon. Has anyone else experienced this?

Any help would be immensely appreciated.
Matteo

2 Likes

Speculation: ground loop?

2 Likes

Static Noise Pop sounds like a genre I could
dig

5 Likes

Thanks so much for this! Looking forward to the fix.

Many thanks! I have the same issue and keen to get it resolved. The solution I found are either to use the coaxial connection instead or bypass roon completely and use tidal connect.

and as a result, because of this issue, I stopped my subscription to Roon.

I’m so glad I found this thread because I’ve been having the same issue over the last few weeks. I get intermittent static when using the Roon app. This will occur every 10 to 15 seconds. I do not get any noise when using Tidal Connect (via Bluetooth) or with the Bluos app. Unfortunately, Roon is currently unusable.

1 Like

Glad I’m not alone. I also experienced this issue when I recently connected my Ferrum Erco through the Bluesound Node (N130) USB output (Audioquest Cinnamon USB-A to C cable). Again, reverting back to BluOS completely eliminates this issue, which is not ideal as I love Roon’s interface and how it manages my library effortlessly, not to mention having bought a lifetime subscription.

The take home message from the other thread is that perhaps when both Roon and the Node are watching the same shared folder on my NAS that creates some sort of data bottleneck when trying to output through USB? That might explain why the issue is worse when playing my FLAC files, although Tidal streaming through Roon also runs into the same issue albeit more intermittently than physical files.

I’ve been experiencing the same “popping” noise and I can confirm I have not configured a watched folder from the same directory my Roon server is pulling from. Though that’s not to say it’s not part of the issue with other users.