Stop playing at the end of current track / insert a “pause” at an arbitrarily-chosen point in the queue

I see. I never use roon radio!

When listening to roon radio, pressing “End” stops it from picking another song and it let’s the current song play to the end. That’s similar to clearing the queue when not using roon radio, As someone else mentioned, clearing the queue is a workaround to playing out the song to the end and then stopping, but not desirable because he (and I) would like to return to the playlist after the interregnum.

- Eric

There is sleep but it’s only 15/30/45/60/120 mins

+1 from me.
My work-around is to open the queue and drag the playing track to the end and when I want to resume my listening, I drag the “skipped items” past the track that I moved to the end.
But “stop after current” functionality would seem easy enough to provide without too much work, right?

I dream about the “auto pause” function I was using on my Studer A730… I do not understand why nobody implemented it so far on players.

What it does is fairly simple, once activated, it stops the music at the end of the track.

Dominique

This has been an often requested feature for a long time. See this thread for example. You will also, find in there some more details about the QueueBot extension which though not a very elegant solution enables you to do what you want.

I wish that was 0/15/30/45/60/120 mins … with 0 meaning stop at the end of the next track … which Roon attempts to do with the other values already so it’s not like it would be inconsistent behaviour.

1 Like

Well next up on my list would be a start playing in HH:MM to a given zone… like a wake up. I know there are Alarm extensions for this but not everyone has options to deploy this. There are little things that make life easier and shouldn’t be so hard to include.

*** I am not sure if what follows is a good idea as a “feature request,” and it might be something that I would like to be able to do just because of my (maybe peculiar) listening habit. Also, I do not even know if it is possible to do something like what I would like to have, and maybe it is not worth the time of Roon’s team (I will let others judge of that, I am just throwing the idea out there).

What I would like to be able to do is to preset a pause in the queue, without clearing it. Let me give an example: I am putting two albums in the queue, and I would like to be able to tell Roon to pause playback after the first album (or after any given track in the queue); this would require that the user have to press play to restart playback, and then Roon plays the second album I have previously put in the queue.

(If we can already do something like this, please let me know; it would change my life, literally!)

1 Like

Well almost, as long as you know the time needed for the album to stop, your can use this solution:

Thank you! It might be what I am looking for; I will dig into that soon.

I don’t know if I am the only one, but a feature I would find useful is being able get the queue to pause after the last track on an album or even at the end of a track of my choosing.

Anyone else?

1 Like

I don’t really create playlists as such (apart from using the curated ones on Tidal) but I am curious to know why you would want this feature and how long would you want the pause to be?

Pauses between songs would just remind me of when I started using Roon and was having ‘transport’ issues with Sonos endpoints, so to me indicates a problem somewhere.

Tony,

I should have said “queue” and not “playlist”. I will edit the thread title and my post to reflect that.

I play full albums most of the time. I often like to take a break when one albums finishes before the next one starts. It would be nice to have Roon stop playing automagically. Either at the end of an album or where I insert a pause in the queue.

As a workaround you can include a silent mp3 in the queue. Finding or making one won’t be too difficult.

EDIT: one here: http://www.wavecor.co.uk/TestDisc/Track73.flac

This is an interesting idea. I have seen a request here for a “stop at the end of this track” to be included in the play options which I would quite like the idea of myself.

The function of a stop or pause command that could be added to the queue would be an elegant way of achieving this.

.sjb

That’s not a workaround. I am not looking for silence…I am looking for the queue to stop itself but not clear itself. A silent track does not do that.

Edit: Yes, silence would be a reminder to stop and do whatever it is you wanted to do. But, it’s not at all elegant.

Thanks. I don’t know how many times I have queued up a bunch of songs or albums but wanted to stop at a certain point to do something yet been so involved in the music that I blew right past the place I wanted to stop. Yes, the easy answer is to only queue up to a time you want to stop. But, I often figure out I want to stop at a certain point after I create the queue.

1 Like

You got me thinking.

Imagine you have an artist in your local library named Queue Bot who has an album named Queue Actions with a first track named Pause (screenshot 1). You add the Pause track to the queue and move it to the position where you want the pause to happen (screenshot 2). When the Pause track starts playing, music is paused and a skip to the next track is performed. When play is pressed playback continuous at the track after the pause.

The system work via a Queue Bot extension that is running in the background and that monitors all zones for the start of a Queue Bot track. If such a track is found it performs the action that is contained in the track title.

To have quick access to the Queue Actions you can create a bookmark to the tracks performed by Action Bot (screenshot 3).

The Queue Actions album can have multiple tracks to have multiple actions, e.g. an Internet Radio track to start an internet radio stream from the queue.

I already created an album with 2 tracks of 2 seconds silence to provide the screenshots. The extension doesn’t exist yet but that can surely change.

Here are the screenshots:

Screenshot 1

Screenshot 2

Screenshot 3

Sounds interesting and extensible…:slight_smile: Now all we need is some brave soul to write the first version.

Maybe I’m missing something here, but I don’t understand the “why” of this request. If you turn off Radio, the queue will end, so why add the need to add a pause at the end of each album (when you’ve queued up one or more albums?) If you’ve got to press play after a pause surely it’s as straightforward to press pause if you need a break?