Stop playing at the end of current track / insert a “pause” at an arbitrarily-chosen point in the queue

Martin,

[Moderated]

This has nothing to do with the radio being on or off. It would be convenient to be able to put a pause in the queue so the queue would stop playing at a particular point.

I usually build large queues that are multiple hours long and I don’t think I am alone in that. Sometimes, after I build a queue and have been listening for a while, I discover I need/want to do something in the very near future but not right at the moment. Personally, I like to take the break to do whatever it is I want to do at the end of an album.

The problem is that I often get lost in the music and blow right through the end of an album and forget to take the break to do the task I wanted/needed to do. Hence the idea of being able to add a pause in the queue. If a hard pause happens, the music stops and I know it is time to do that task. If I had the pause option, I would not need to clear out the queue (only to have to be rebuilt later) with the radio off so it would stop at the end of album.

It’s just an idea. If Roon and other Roon users don’t see this as a good idea, fine. I am just putting it out there. If you don’t see the need, great. If you think it is a good, great.

Moderators have deleted part of a post which infringed the guidelines and subsequent posts referring to it.

Please keep the discussion about the ideas and not each other.

1 Like

Yes. There are two things I’d like users to be able to insert into a queue. A Pause is one, the other is an Internet Radio station. Being able to set a timer for the Station would also be great.

2 Likes

So you really want an egg timer. How about this: create for yourself a FLAC file with your own words “Hey Scott, it’s time for you to go do that thing you meant to do, but first pause Roon.”

Not that a queue bot and being able to insert functions and not just tracks into the queue wouldn’t be really cool. It would be.

1 Like

There are times when I would like to complete my listening session with the currently playing track because I need to go somewhere or do something else. I don’t want to have to quickly press pause when it ends.

“Clear upcoming” accomplishes this, but the side effect is well, it clears upcoming entries in the play queue! It would be nice to have a “pause after current” feature. This will let me resume from the next track when I return to my audio system.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

What I proposed allows this but also allows more flexibility. Being able to insert a pause anywhere in the queue is, in my mind, a great idea!

Yes, Roon really needs to add a feature to allow us to pause play after any track we wish, whether in an album string, a queue, or a playlist. When I have a guest over to groove on some tunes, we build an extensive playlist that we intend to listen through. But we like to pause after a tune and discuss it, and it is disruptive to have to think about jumping on the “pause” function right at the end of the tune…much nicer to stay immersed in the tune and have things stop with that moment of peace and contemplation. Then you hit play to start up the next in line. Fun!

I transitioned to Roon from Foobar2000 a couple of months ago, and losing this capability is a big hole in my digital music experience. Please address this Roon!

1 Like

OK, a year has passed. As near as I can tell, Roon has not added this feature yet. Is that correct?

And, if so, I just don’t get it! It cannot be a heavy lift in coding, and it is an obvious need, and a really important one for my listening experience, especially when I am sharing it with others. Please, Roon!

Did QueueBot ever materialize? I don’t find it listed in your extensions catalog.

+10,000! I have frequent need for this. Just want to finish listening to the current track before leaving my audio room.

It’s an interesting idea. I sure wish they would enhance the playback options like fade out and play to pause but I’m not holding my breath

It just did :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I would like to see a pause (as described above) integrated into Roon. My vision would be a button “Insert Pause” that would put a marker into the queue that would cause play to stop. But I don’t care if it’s done exactly that way!

Second choice would be an extension manager integrated into Roon, so the less technical user can install the extension so kindly provided.

+1 for this idea! I’d like a pause marker that could be placed anywhere in the queue + a “Pause after current track” button, just like in Foobar2000.

“Pause after current song” Pretty straightforward request.

I don’t like to pause songs in the middle (maybe I’m weird) so, if I need to leave my listening session, I have to watch the remote and “pause” at the right time. It would be better if I could hit “pause after this song” then put the remote down. Queue or radio would stop after the current song. I can then leave, come back, and hit “play” and Roon would start the next song.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Even if the pause had a Fade Down option so it doesn’t feel so much like you are rudely interrupting the performance

3 Likes

I like the idea. Makes good sense.

1 Like

Even relatively low-end music players, such as Media Monkey, have this feature. No reason the roon developers can’t figure out how to do this.

2 Likes

Good idea. I’d certainly use it. So that’s a +1 from me.

1 Like

It is also one of the functions I am missing, also know and like it from MediaMonkey. Now with the sleep function I hoped you could set it to a minute or so and it would then finish the song, but smallest interval is still 15 mins. So either reduce that, or add the pause after current please?