Storage - Added External Drive - Duplicate Folder [Ticket In]

Roon Core Machine

Roon ROCK installed on a Quiet PC UltraNUC Pro 10 Fanless:

• Intel NUC 10 Performance Kit - NUC10i5FNK, 4C/8T 1.6-4.2GHz M.2 only
  • Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 SODIMM Memory
  • Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD (3500/2300)
  • Samsung 870 QVO 4TB SSD Solid State Drive
  • Samsung T7 Shield 4TB, Portable SSD (external added 2 years after original build)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

• Ethernet
  • Amazon eero Pro 6E Mesh Wi-Fi System
  • Netgear Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Advanced 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (GS808E)
  • No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

• HDMI connected to Kinivo HDMI Switch (BN550)
  • I primarily stream to my devices through my network

Number of Tracks in Library

Number of Tracks: 43,000

Description of Issue

I recently noticed that the storage folder for the new SSD drive that I installed 3 months ago has duplicate folders - each one containing all of the music I moved from the internal SSD drive to the external storage. The folder names are listed below. I’m assuming that the second one is the duplicate.

• T7_Shield_Samsung_PSSD_T7_Shield_S6SFNS0W105098E_C455-1137-p2
  • T7_Shield_Samsung_PSSD_T7_Shield_S6SFNS0W105098E_C455-1137-p2-2

Can I safely delete the second folder? How do I prevent the system from creating a duplicate folder in the future?

Hey @asiano,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Sorry to hear you’re running into unwanted duplication of your internal storage folders. This is an odd issue indeed, and shouldn’t be happening.

As a first test, please make a fresh backup for safekeeping, and then head over to the web UI of your ROCK and perform a RoonOS reinstall.

Let me know if your issue persists afterwards. :+1:

Hi Benjamin,

I did what you requested today.

• Backed up the original external storage folder
  • Deleted the duplicate folder
  • Backed up the Roon database
  • Reinstalled the RoonOS

When the reinstall was completed, all of the folders/files in my external storage folder were deleted and a new duplicate folder was created with the same name again. Both folders on my external folder are now empty. While I await your reply, I am going to copy my music folder/files from the backup to the empty external storage folder (original folder only).

Thanks

Hey @asiano,

Sorry for any confusion with my previous reply - I was only instructing to make a Roon database backup, and then an OS reinstall.

Did you delete the duplicated folder before making a Roon backup?

What is your current status? To confirm, do you have a recent Roon backup that predates the work you’ve been doing?

Thanks!

I think I may have made the Roon backup with both folders present. Please note that Roon is not showing the duplicate files twice in the Apple or Android Apps. The Apps read the total number of albums, tracks, etc. correctly.

Once I began copying the files from the backup of the folder that I made on my Synology NAS, the external Roon storage drive immediately created a duplicate folder and began copying all the artist/album folders to both folders simultaneously.

Currently, I’m right where I was at the beginning. Two duplicate folders exist on the Roon external storage device. Unfortunately, I do not have a Roon backup prior to the duplication issue.

Hey @asiano,

Thanks for the update! We have discovered a bug that may very well relate to your duplication issue. We’re still investigating things, but early signs show that this issue may be related strictly to external drives.

I don’t have any good next steps or workarounds at this time, outside of testing setting up a network share and temporarily not using external storage.

You have my apologies here! I’ll of course keep you updated with any findings or progress on our end.

-Ben

Thanks for the update. Please keep me posted.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.