Strange problem with Audio outputs in Windows

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909, OS Build 18363.815
32 GB RAM (HyperX Fury DDR4 2400 MHz)
Intel i7-7700K
ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming
Corsair RM750i 750 W PSU

Roon client 1.7 (Build 537) stable (64 bit)
Roon Core: Roon Optimized Core Kit version 1.7 (build 537)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Gigabit Ethernet via Svive Opacus SV-SWI1008 8 port Switch.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Jabra Evolve 80 headset, audio on motherboard (Realtek)

Description Of Issue

After installing the Roon client on this PC, everything worked as it should the first day. Internal audio showed up twice, so I renamed first one of the Realtek outputs to something useful, then the other, which was the actual output on the back of the computer. I reverted the first unit to the default name.

After this first day, the audio outputs for the PC “disappear” - what happens is that when I go to “Audio” in settings, the outputs are displayed for a few seconds, like this:

These 3 outputs have “open” edit boxes for their names, displaying “Unnamed” in gray, and is the 3 I have edited the name of during the first day:

System Output: “Enabling…”
Jabra EVOLVE LINK MS (WASAPI): “Enabling…”
Realtek High Definition Audio (WASAPI): “Enabling”

These 3 are not enabled, showing the blue “Enable” button:

Realtek High Definition Audio (WASAPI)
VB-Audio Virtual Cable (WASAPI)
Realtek ASIO (ASIO)

After a few seconds, they all disappear, leaving a blank, white space under “This PC”.

Rescanning will just hang forever until I exit the Audio section. If I remain in the Audio section, the display will “twitch” slightly every few seconds, as if there is an attempt at refreshing the list.

I have reinstalled the Roon client several times, after removing both the program and local DB/settings on the PC, and I have updated Windows with every single queued, possible update.

No difference. Restarts of the PC does nothing. Running the Roon client as admin only differs in that the section under “This PC” is empty already when the section is opened.

What is going on?

I suspect it must have something to do with any of the 3 outputs I edited the name of - names that are not displayed anymore, just the open box, awaiting input it ignores if I somehow manage to enter something in one of the boxes before the section blanks out.

Are these zones stored in the Core, and has some weird occurrence of any “offending” character led to this behaviour?

Or is this a bug with Windows and/or the Windows Roon client?

I have had no issues with the macOS client of Roon.

I notice that the Windows Roon client does display every output on the iMac, but the iMac does not show any outputs on the PC - reflecting the fact that Roon seems to give up on the ones found at first.

Hi Per_Granaune

this behavior can caused by Asus Sonic, may just remove it and see what happend. see this link, we had similar problems.

1 Like


That actually worked like a charm.
I’ve never even heard about Asus Sonic - had to check it was installed, and I removed both “Asus Sonic Radar 3” and “Asus Sonic Studio 3”.

Now, the outputs appear and stay there - and the names are the ones I changed to - no “open edit boxes” anymore.

Had to do a search for what Asus Sonic actually does - I never knew it was a gaming aid. Nothing I’ve ever felt the need for anyway.

Will keep these in mind for any later reinstalls or installs of Roon on other PCs.


This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.