Streaming Radio [Delivered Roon 1.2]

We understand the urgency/priority of providing such a feature, especially now that we’re talking over more audio distribution duties for more people.

We are working on a radio solution. It will provide a directory of stations, the ability to manually input stations, and a way to submit stations to the directory to make them widely available.

I don’t have a firm timeline for release of this feature yet, but work is in progress, and the project has a very high priority internally.

23 Likes

Excellent! It’s good to hear this has a high priority, and knowing that will help me retain the self control to avoid badgering you unnecessarily.

I do like the idea of a collective directory, but I regard that as merely “nice to have”, as distinct from the ability to maintain my personal and arbitrarily-changing collection of listening links which may not actually be of enough interest to others to make it into a shared directory - which ability I regard as necessary before I can adopt Roon as my only music server. So it’s great to hear that you’re planning to support both personal and shared directories.

2 Likes

I will take great pleasure in introducing you all to Planet Pootwaddle.

Great news!

While we’re at it, looking forward to listening to WEFUNK!

1 Like

I can’t wait to get this feature!

1 Like

Really looking forward to this @brian

IMO Tunein radio is awful with constant drop outs across multiple platforms, so no loss if they don’t want to get on board. The ability to add your own via URL and share others selections is a great idea.

What would be superb is if the stations came with the ability to add meta data when publised - country, style, etc…

Anywa - very much looking forward to radio.

1 Like

Thrilled to see that internet radio is a priority. Adding Pandora access would help Roon even more. Pandora is the #1 streaming site. People do not want multiple playback solutions. Everyone wants ONE playback tool to play what they like to listen to. For a huge percentage of people, Pandora is a key part of their music experience. I bought Roon for a family member who will not use it. He’s much happier using Logitech Media Server and thus getting access to his own digital files, Pandora, internet radio and Spotify. Is Roon going to target main street or stick with niche audiophiles? I fall into the latter category, but no one else I know does. I’ve installed systems for four different friends, and none of them will live without Pandora. And none of them have the patience and/or bandwith to switch between multiple playback tools.

Is adding an internet access feature similar to JRiver an option? Not sexy but at least there would be a gateway to Pandora, podcasts…nearly all music on the internet.

Being able to listen to local stations is much more important than Pandora to me, because that is what prevent me from using Roon instead of LMS on my squeezebox devices.

2 Likes

And that’s what has me switching back and forth between Roon and LMS - to get the local radio (and occasionally catching a lot of grief from my sweet wife when I forget to switch back to LMS so that she can get the local NPR station :wink:

It will be great when Roon can be the lone gateway to music and radio in my home.

3 Likes

Michael & Rune - for me personally, I’m the same as you - internet radio is far more important than Pandora (I never listen to Pandora). Based on my experience helping friends in Hawaii, New Orleans and Florida with their playback systems, access to Pandora is mission critical for the average Joe (Roon’s biggest opportunity for growth and success).

Pandora - 78.1 million active users cited in Pandora’s last quarterly report: http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6874897/companies-apple-buy

Think I read somewhere that Pandora is up for sale and with a shrinking user base. If accurate, I suspect that anyone in negotiations with Pandora will be on hold until ownership is determined.

Edit - here it is.

Pandora for sale?

I personally think Roon should stay away from regional services like Pandora. Its only available in 3 countries. Music is a worldwide passion. TIDAL for example is available right now in fifty countries. I would hate to think Roon were spending significant time integrating services for one region/ country.

Mark - I don’t think the average Pandora user is the target market for Roon the same goes for the fee Spotify user.
Roon is more for people that are willing to spend money on Tidal Hifi.
But the radio feature is important because it is a way to get the rest of the family to accept Roon instead of LMS, Sonos, iTunes etc.

3 Likes

Any updates on the development of Radio support. As many others has said, a simple first beta-implementation with just manualy added http-links to radio stations would be a nice first step.

For the “final” implementation it would also be very nice with the ability to schedule recordings of radio programs (i.e. record radio channel X every Sunday 12:00-14:03).

Also thanks for the other great work improving Roon, adding HQ-Player :slightly_smiling:

While you’re working on this anxiously-awaited feature, let me provide a few streaming-radio URLs which are important to me, in case you need some more sources to test with before releasing this!

[1] Full disclosure: I now work for WFMU, although I was at least as obsessive about listening to and volunteering for the station in the decade or more before I got a surprise job offer a few years ago. Indeed, so many hours a day were spent listening to WFMU at home that I began to look on the WFMU signal chain as an extended part of my stereo. I’d spent years optimizing the parts of my stereo inside my house, but was looking for ways to improve the rest of it - and that’s a project I remain devoted to, now that I have the opportunity to have some influence.

I don’t want to hijack this Roon thread with too much WFMU talk, but I would caution / advise any new WFMU listeners that because the station is completely freeform - each DJ plays whatever that DJ wants to play - depending on when one listens one might encounter things one absolutely loves or completely despises; sometimes the trick is to identify favorite DJs and listen to their shows, whether live or from the archives.

Oh, that reminds me, another sort of streaming URL I’d hope Roon would handle well is the archived shows; so, for example:

Okay, that’s more than enough. My wife likes getting some public radio talk from WNYC, but their streams are so problematic (nasty low-bitrate sound and annoying pre-roll announcements whenever they restart) that I can’t recommend them.

I really look forward to the Roon streaming feature going live! I too am doing the LMS <-> Roon shuffle as I switch between radio streams and our music library!

3 Likes

Any updates on the development of Radio support. As many others has said, a simple first beta-implementation with just manualy added http-links to radio stations would be a nice first step.

This capability will be in 1.2. We pushed off building the-world’s-greatest-radio-directory to a future release.

2 Likes

All of your streams work fine on the pre-alpha build I am running here :smile:

The shows do not–right now–but that’s not a final decision. We are most concerned that a user interface suitable for browsing a handful of favorite stations is probably not right for browsing potentially many more archived shows…and that if we eventually solve the shows problem well, it will create a migration issue to have a bunch of people out there with show data formatted like station data.

I’m not–in principle–opposed to letting the URLs be played. Right now Roon doesn’t accept them (because they don’t look like radio stations) but that’s not a deep or hard limitation. I appreciate you bringing it up now so we can give it some thought.

There is a lot of WNYC listening in my household and we receive it over FM because the internet stream quality is so unbearable. I have considered setting up a network-based re-broadcaster on top of an FM or HD receiver, but never quite got around to it.

To add insult to injury, some of the musical programs that need the bandwidth the most (Jonathan Schwartz, A Prairie Home Companion), run at the even-lower-than-usual bitrate that they switch to on the weekends. It’s 2016. I don’t get it.

1 Like

Please, please tell me that Radio Paradise 320K version works :grinning:

Of course :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes