Streaming Radio [Delivered Roon 1.2]

I wondered whether that could be a solution. We usually listen to radio paradise via airplay through a link (provided by our ISP unmetered) added into itunes.

Whilst I can appreciate that TuneIn is wanting some cold hard cash and this is not the time for that, you can potentially provide Internet Radio in some other fashion.

As an example, here is the link to Paradise Radio that does not TuneIn.

320k AAC stream: http://stream-tx3.radioparadise.com/aac-320

The quality is excellent and adds value to Roon. There may be technical issues in providing this for us mere mortals but just another vote for some ability to step outside and add that extra dimension!

Cheers

Bob

1 Like

Iā€™m a patient type @danny , and I know good things come to those who waitā€¦

ā€¦so, as the perpetrator of this thread, Iā€™ll make a point of only asking for streaming radio status updates every 6 months :grin:

1 Like

Hi, @danny @brian and others: hereā€™s another vote for including the ability to curate oneā€™s own collection of streaming URLs to be able to play from.

Iā€™m finding the Roon interface a great way to make our digital music library more straightforwardly accessible to other family members - Iā€™ve seen a definite and really pleasing increase in spousal engagement in selecting music when our testbed Roon system is active - and the sound quality via even a little Meridian MS200 has been quite nice; but in a normal week, Iā€™d say that 60-80 percent of the hours of music playing in our home are via WFMUā€™s live streams, whether the main freeform stream or the Give the Drummer Radio alternative stream. So any house-wide music playing system which canā€™t support playing internet audio streams is a non-starter as a contender to be the only system in the house and replace the existing Squeezebox-server lashup.

I understand that the whole presentation and metadata-crosslinking model for Roon is track-based, so I understand a reluctance to break that with whatever weird thing an external audio stream of a radio show is - but nonetheless, I find human-curated radio shows put together by a succession of deeply knowledgeable and quirkily individualistic DJs essential to my mental and emotional well-being, so I need my radio streams.

As for having you provide a curated list of Internet audio streams - thatā€™s a fine idea, but my needs would be served by just being able to create my own list. And even if curated lists were available, it would still be necessary to be able to do oneā€™s own list editing in case the curated lists didnā€™t include oneā€™s favorite stations. So externally-provided curated lists sound like a nice idea in addition to being able to make oneā€™s own list(s), but can never entirely replace making oneā€™s own list.

3 Likes

another vote here for BBC iPlayer functionality please :hand: :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would certainly be nice if this was on the near-future roadmap. At the moment, I have to keep my Meridian Sooloos Core running just so that my wife can use the internet radio sheā€™s become used to.

3 Likes

It would be good to know where it is on the priority list, I agree.

While I realise that the bulk of the delay so far was down to TuneIn, Iā€™d love to know where streaming radio lies on the latest road-map.

Having kept my Sooloos going for a while for similar reasons, I recently sold my MC200 core and now have to endure my wife listening to radio through the TV speaker via the Sky box.

It makes me shudder every time, so would be good to know the timescale before I do something rashā€¦

1 Like

How about an integrated radio player?

+1. Tunein isnā€™t perfect, but does work respectably well. Does anyone have experience of other radio internet services?

Hi, New forum user and potential Roon purchaser. Iā€™m busy reading the forum, absorbing lots and getting a good feel for the Roon ecosystem.

As someone who currently spends about 50% of my music listing time with Internet Radio - IR (a chunk of that with Radio Paradise - RP) and the rest with my locally stored files, I did want to add my voice & support to this area.

I see basic IR as a must have for me to make the switch to Roon. Although it initially doesnā€™t have to be as feature rich as the rest of Roon (for me at least), as it can often be a less interactive portion of my listening. By that I mean, I might be listening to IR whilst I have a drink with some friends, whilst I do some work on the sofa, as well as the more regular active form of listening.

I can see that making the IR experience more ā€˜Roon likeā€™ may be initially challenging, as presumably to provide meaningful metadata requires at least the basics to be provided as part of the stream in question. In turn making use of this data, presumably would entail discussions/agreement with the IR stream providers.

With RP thereā€™s a 3rd party widget on the apple site, that will show the current RP song playing + the previous 3 - implying I guess that the RP are open to someone like Roon making use of their data streamā€¦

Anyway reading that back, its a long winded way of saying; Internet Radio - yes please!

4 Likes

Is there any update on internet radio (even if via a simple list)?

I, too, have local and global stations I like.

Iā€™d prefer not to have to quit Roon and then go do AirPlay from my computer to AppleTVā€¦which is what I do now. BLECH.

1 Like

Yes I have 3 mates to set up on Roon one year licences who use RPI as their end points and if they canā€™t easily use Radio Paradise and BBC Radio 3 they will struggle to convert to life membership.

1 Like

Hi Danny

Any chance of this soon as no one can surely live without Radio Paradise - can they?

Nick

1 Like

Hello,

Any news on Internet radio genre TuneIn. It would be very nice if someone could tell us if and what is happening.

Kind regards,

Joris

I would really like to use Roon as one stop music source but at the moment I have an RPI with streamed Radio Paradise and as I am in the UK the BBC radio stations have I missed something or is there going to be a way of setting these up?

This was the latest news on the topic:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/streaming-radio-tunein-or-other/597/24

I have seen the rejection of TuneIn, but that was the last communication regarding internet Radio I think.

Any news would be greatly appreciated. Is it smart to add a so so just for radio or has anybody another idea ?

Yes please Roon, tell us the status of some kind of Radio.

2 Likes

I am also very interested in an integrated radio player in Roon. I play Radio Swiss Jazz and others quite often.
For me priority NĀ°1!

Simone

2 Likes

I would also love to see internet radio in Roon. I imagine that the streams would be available to be output through and upsampled by HQPlayer. How nice would that be?!