Streaming Radio [Delivered Roon 1.2]

Ha! That’s very exciting.

The shows do not–right now–but that’s not a final decision. We are most concerned that a user interface suitable for browsing a handful of favorite stations is probably not right for browsing potentially many more archived shows…and that if we eventually solve the shows problem well, it will create a migration issue to have a bunch of people out there with show data formatted like station data.

That makes complete sense to me. I thought I’d throw a couple of those links in to see if they’d fly, but really all I personally need to no longer need to keep moving my Squeezeboxen back and forth from one teat to another is the ability to play a couple of live-radio streams (a main WFMU one and the one for the Drummer stream), and if it turns out any of our listeners use something as fancy as Roon, the full set of our streams would do it for them, for live listening. As you imply, live stream URLs are the sort of thing people would want to keep in a ready long-term directory for frequent re-use, while single-show links would presumably be used just the once. A really pleasing and well-thought-out interface for browsing and playing available archived shows is clearly beyond the scope of the upcoming release.

Should that sort of thing be likely to make it onto your roadmap eventually, I’d be glad to share (off-list) the feeds we have available which provide archive URLs, show descriptions, and timestamped track info, so you can decide if what we have available fits well enough in with whatever general approach you’d expect to take to make folding us into your support practical.

Besides (back to my own selfish case), I’m a big cheater. When I personally plan to listen to archived shows, I don’t actually stream them - I bring the 48/24 FLACs home on a USB stick. And that’s been working great with Roon - drop 'em in a watched directory and there they are!

There is a lot of WNYC listening in my household and we receive it over FM because the internet stream quality is so unbearable. […] To add insult to injury, some of the musical programs that need the bandwidth the most (Jonathan Schwartz, A Prairie Home Companion), run at the even-lower-than-usual bitrate that they switch to on the weekends. It’s 2016. I don’t get it.

Right? I don’t get it either. I mean… bandwidth is one of our biggest operating costs, but it’s the cost of sharing our shows in an engagingly musical way, so it’s not optional. And those auto-playing promos whenever you start playing a WNYC stream - or start re-playing it if it drops for a second - are an actively listener-hostile slap in the face. Oh, the swearing they have caused.

2 Likes

Awesome news, looking forward to the 1.2 release! :smile:

Thanks Brian for the update.

Many thanks Brian, that means I can ditch my LMS and set my 2 mates up on their 1 year trials then they will become lifers. :grin:

1 Like

Looking forward to the 1.2 release, and hope it it will be possible to integrate as mcu as possible from streaming radio stations like WFMU (it’s the only steaming station I’ve made a point of tuning into at spesific times, for example for the Killdozer set years ago, and feedtime almost 4 years ago, their guitar player gave me the heads up).

2 Likes

Tease.

Seriously, looking forward to 1.2 and the hardware options that will come with it. Streaming radio would be a bonus. Any possibility of a Sirius/SM implementation?

Several radio stations seem to not provide a clean stream, but have a web page (with video, etc). Would be great if it would be possible to add them as a radio station.
As an example, one of the top Dutch radio stations: http://www.538.nl/live/index.php

Not sure how easy it is of course, but it would be very user friendly is one could just add these type of urls :).

As starter of the thread I promised a while back that I would only pester every 6 months.

I will stick to that, but I just thought I’d add a reminder that May 2 is the pester date as it will be a year exactly since I first asked :grin:

(That’s not a pester, I know you will make it…)

Here’s the outcome of this approach, even if light hearted.

Yeah, I should ease off with dates, even if said in jest.
To be honest I only made the comment out of excitement at seeing it may be coming soon.

The date is significant for me as it’s my wedding anniversary and, as I’ve mentioned earlier in the thread, I’d love my wife to start using Roon for listening to the radio. What she does now makes me wince.

On the flip side, I cannot believe just how much has happened to Roon in the last year, it’s phenomenal. So if it doesn’t happen by then, so be it. I trust Roon like no other company I’ve dealt with, to deliver the right features when it’s reasonable to do so.

2 Likes

My money is on you having a happy anniversary.:grin:

Your post was a lovely reminder of the joy this app brings people. Something very human about listening to music.

Dead right about the app.

I can honestly say the last time I enjoyed the whole music discovery and listening experience this much was when I was a teenager buying my first LPs. Roon for me has truly achieved one of their objectives of providing the magic of that experience for the digital age.

3 Likes

Going to chime in here with a plug for KCRW and KCRW Eclectic. Please tell me those work. Anxiously awaiting this.

Yup, just tried the URLs on this page. You should be all set when the time comes…

1 Like

I’m quite new to Internet radio, but this weekend I discovered SomaFM, and fell in love - several channels there seem to be programmed just for me! Loving ‘Groove Salad’, Deep space one, and drone zone, to name a few. They seem like a really nice bunch too.

64AAC is the max available via TuneIn, but via their own app you can get 128. I mentioned you guys were adding radio, (and how good Roon is) and they said they’d be happy to provide you with XML feeds of all channels and bitrates. :smile:

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I’ve often fallen asleep to Drone Zone and like Secret Agent as well. I haven’t listened to Groove Salad but recommend Jazz Radio - Groove.

After 1.2 is released we will have to get some kind of Internet Radio swap meet thread going so that all the better quality streams can be gathered together in one spot for editing into station entries.

Edit: And here is a swap meet thread for us all to exchange favourite URLs.

1 Like

Definitely. Although, won’t Roon be doing this for us, or is it envisaged that we all just add our own URLs, rather than there be like a ‘Roon Internet Radio Library’?

We’re planning on doing a directory in the future that everyone will be able to contribute to, and which we can continue to build over time. That will take some time, but it’s absolutely something we’re planning on.

For 1.2, we just wanted to make sure people can add their favorite streams and play them around the house. You’ll be able to paste URLS for any stream in MP3 or AAC format, and populate the Internet Radio browser with your favorites.

3 Likes

That’ll do for me for now.
Can’t wait :grin:

That’s really all I want for now. There are plenty of sources to seek out radio stations and I trust that the thread here will be equally enlightening as to what stations are available - particular those that are streamed at a reasonably high quality. Perhaps someday being able to select stations to add to our “library” as we do with Tidal might be a very useful option, but I suspect most of us only listen to a handful of radio stations anyway.

The golden goose would be iPlayer (live and catch up) radio but given how frequently the BBC cock about with the streams it’s probably not easy to achieve.

The LMS iPlayer plugins are a real labour of love by the devs. Worth it though.

2 Likes