Streaming Radio [Delivered Roon 1.2]

Hi, @danny @brian and others: here’s another vote for including the ability to curate one’s own collection of streaming URLs to be able to play from.

I’m finding the Roon interface a great way to make our digital music library more straightforwardly accessible to other family members - I’ve seen a definite and really pleasing increase in spousal engagement in selecting music when our testbed Roon system is active - and the sound quality via even a little Meridian MS200 has been quite nice; but in a normal week, I’d say that 60-80 percent of the hours of music playing in our home are via WFMU’s live streams, whether the main freeform stream or the Give the Drummer Radio alternative stream. So any house-wide music playing system which can’t support playing internet audio streams is a non-starter as a contender to be the only system in the house and replace the existing Squeezebox-server lashup.

I understand that the whole presentation and metadata-crosslinking model for Roon is track-based, so I understand a reluctance to break that with whatever weird thing an external audio stream of a radio show is - but nonetheless, I find human-curated radio shows put together by a succession of deeply knowledgeable and quirkily individualistic DJs essential to my mental and emotional well-being, so I need my radio streams.

As for having you provide a curated list of Internet audio streams - that’s a fine idea, but my needs would be served by just being able to create my own list. And even if curated lists were available, it would still be necessary to be able to do one’s own list editing in case the curated lists didn’t include one’s favorite stations. So externally-provided curated lists sound like a nice idea in addition to being able to make one’s own list(s), but can never entirely replace making one’s own list.

3 Likes