Stuttering with Qobuz content

Hi @noris,

I have the same problem (Roon Core on Mac mini, data send to Devialet via Ethernet).

Both for local and Qobuz content, but more so with Qobuz. If I disable upsampling (for 44.1 and 48kHz, PCM, powers of 2), the problem is less frequent. Still present for Qobuz, not sure for local content. 192kHz local material runs smooth, however.

The quality indicator value for the signal path is way above 1. Interestingly, it increases as the time span a track plays gets longer, depending on upsampling settings up to ~25. Stuttering is typically happening in the beginning of tracks and places of higher dynamics in my case.

I’m currently trying to get along without upsampling. Okay for local content, still a problem with Qobuz.

HD streaming and even UHD streaming to a TV connected to the same switch works flawlessly. From my observation, it’s not connectivity, but related to timing aspects in the core. Though, interestingly, the release notes state that the DSP implementation was left untouched.

Cheers!

Hello @AEB,

I have split your post from the previous thread as to better assist. Can you please let me know:

• Does this issue happens with all of your zones or just the Devialet?
  • How is the Mac Mini and Devialet connected in this setup?
  • What is your router/model manufacturer?
  • Does your network meet our recommended setup?

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

1. I’m only using one zone, so I have no comparison - other than to times before upgrading to v1.6.

Good news, however, after power-cycling all equipment (Mac mini, Devialet, switch, rooter), the problems essentially vanished. Only in case of streaming they re-occur very sporadically. In which case, when power cycling the Mac mini (driving the Core), they typically take some time to reoccur.

In summary, this is a level I can cope with for the time being. In my perception, they only occur if some switching between the sampling rates has taken place. But the problems are too few to state this reliably. I’ll send the Devialet off in two weeks to finally get the Core Infinity update. Maybe that’ll help to avoid the last hick-ups as well.

1. VDSL2 -> FritzBox -> PowerLine (~300Mbps) ->
    -> unmanaged TP-Link Gb Switch <-a-> Mac mini with Roon Core and music library
    -> unmanaged TP-Link Gb Switch <-b-> Devialet
    -> unmanaged TP-Link Gb Switch <-c-> TV (where UHD streaming works flawlessly)

The latter also when streaming highres music material. Stuttering was independent of TV use, though.

1. AVM Fritz!Box 7490 running Fritz!OS 7.01 (but I did not find the option to disable Software Packet Accelaration)

2. According to my understanding: Yes

Best regards,

AEB

Hello @AEB,

Thanks for letting me know that the issue is mostly resolved. We have often seen issues with PowerLine adapters, so if this issue occurs again you might want to try removing the PowerLine adapter from the equation as a test and have your switch connected directly to the router instead. I know that it will not be a permanent solution but if you want to have this as a temporary test to verify that the PowerLine is the device causing the issue it might be useful.

Thanks,
Noris

Hi @noris,

thanks for the hint - although streaming UHD videos via the same switch connecting the Mac mini and the Devialet works flawlessly.

Here’s an update on my weekend’s findings:

• If stuttering occurs - which still is the case and more frequent than initially thought - restarting the Roon Server has removed this problem for quite some while. Just pausing and resuming some time later does not do the trick.
  • Every once in a while there are audible traces when operating a Roon Remote (on another computer, not part of the wired infrastructure).
    It appears to me that there is some load problem on the server, which I can neither trace when looking at “top” or examining the processing speed indicator, which is part of the “Signal Path” pop-up.

In summary, not perfect, but workable for the time being.

Best regards,
AEB