Sub-genres vanished?

Roon Core Machine

MacOS X 13.0
Mac Mini Core

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

As of this morning, all sub-genres seem to have vanished from the Rock genre. Any particular reason for this?

Just guessing, but a likely reason seems to be ā€œMacOS X 13.0 Ventura released 2022-10-24ā€.

Donā€™t think so - it was happening before I upgraded - that just happens to be the latest machine state. In fact, if I go into pop/rock, the sub-genres are all in there but, in Rock (where they used to be) there are no sub-genres showing. Weird.

There is no sub-genre named ā€œRockā€ in the default genre hierarchy supplied by Roon.

grafik

So that genre you refer to is yours and only contains sub-genres if you created/setup some for it.
Please check if thatā€™s (still) the case.

No - ā€˜Rockā€™ appears as a root-level genre, alongside ā€˜Pop/Rockā€™, which seems odd. Iā€™ve always gone in to Rock in the past to show sub-genres. It now has no sub-genres - they all appear to have moved into Pop/Rock.

Default metadata, like genres for example, is sourced from 3rd-party metadata providers. Metadata providers may change/adapt their genre hierarchy from time to time (not daily I hope, but might happen).

ā€œRockā€ is currently not a provided default genre. Maybe it was once, IDK?
What are your import settings? Do you instruct Roon to use your own genres?

Anyway, as ā€œRockā€ isnā€™t (anymore?) part of the supplied genre hierarchy, it doesnā€™t (canā€™t) contain predefined sub-genres. That it (still?) exists implies that you manually created that genre and/or added content to it.

It might be helpful if you could share a screen grab of Settings ā†’ Library ā†’ Import settings (as below) as it does seem as though youā€™re not using the standard Roon genres.

Hereā€™s what mine looks like. And, like @BlackJack, I donā€™t have a Rock genre (either as a top level genre or sub-genre).

Aha - I think we have a clue. On my installation, both were switched on. My guess therefore is that the top-level Rock genre is extracted from my local files (mostly CDs ripped lossless, originally in iTunes) rather than using Roonā€™s database. The odd thing is that things have changed in the last 48 hours or so, when Iā€™ve been running Roon continuously for many years. V useful, thanks - Iā€™ve never actually played with those settings. Iā€™ve now switched off the ā€˜Use genres extracted from file tagsā€™ option and will see if that makes a difference

1 Like

@BlackJack
Where is that screenshot from?
Iā€™m currently experiencing genre trauma and that info would be useful.
Thanks.

From AllMusic, a website that makes part of Roon Labs lead metadata providers metadata available on the web: Music Genres | AllMusic.

1 Like

I suspect your guess is correct.
I have files ripped from iTunes as well and also have a top level Rock genre although Iā€™ve also done a fair bit of genre metadata tag editing and may have created a Rock genre this way as well.
In my case switching settings to use Roon genres only didnā€™t remove the non-Roon genres.
They still appear on the genre tab but with no associated albums.
Iā€™m curious to see what your results are please keep us updated.
Thanks.

+1 - Iā€™m now looking for a list of Roonā€™s genre hierarchy and, now that Iā€™ve got a clue about where the odd structures are coming from, can do some editing

Just a headā€™s up: I edited my genre metadata tags in specific ways and it turned out that if one uses genre tags not recognized by Roon it can break Discover.
And I didnā€™t have a backup prior to when I started this so Iā€™m currently in a bit of a mess.

You might want to make frequent backups as youā€™re editing.

When youā€™ve got things straightened out you can also edit the genre hierarchies in Roon. For example, ā€˜Alternative/Indie Rockā€™ is normally a sub-genre of ā€˜Pop/Rockā€™, but Iā€™ve edited to to be a top-level genre:

Iā€™ve also done the same with ā€˜Contemporary Pop/Rockā€™ and have made ā€˜Chamber Musicā€™ a top-level genre rather than a sub-genre of classical. All three changes were done to make it a bit easier to find the specific genres Iā€™m interested in.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.