Suddenly disappearing endpoints: Is network the most likely cause?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Core Machine: Acer Laptop running Windows 10; Roon Version 1.7 (build 610) stable (64 bit) for Windows

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ancient DSL Modem (ActionTec PK-5000) <-- Netgear Orbi <-- wifi <-- Roon on Acer Laptop

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All music content files are on a 5 TB WD portable external disk

Endpoints:
(1) Acer Laptop System Output
(2) Acer Laptop Intel WASAPI Audio
(3) Acer Laptop --> USB --> Signstek DAC
(4) [Wifi Networked Mac running Roon Bridge]: Built-In Output
(5) [Wifi Networked Mac running Roon Bridge] --> USB --> HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC

Description Of Issue

[I spent a fair amount of time searching Community for relevant threads, but didn’t find ones that seemed to match well with my situation. Sorry if I missed them.]

I’ve been using Roon for over a year with the setup described above, with Roon on the Acer having no problem finding any of the endpoints. But in just the last two days, I’ve had Roon on the Acer be unable to find varying subsets of the endpoints listed above. When this happens, it’s often only able to find endpoint (1).

Yesterday, the problem resolved after a third or fourth re-start of the Acer. Today, three-four restarts did not fix the problem, but disconnecting the Acer from wifi and then re-connecting did. But then, when I re-started Roon right after that (just to see what would happen), endpoints disappeared again. Rebooting modem and Orbi did not solve problems.

I would have attributed this to there being some jankiness in my internet service in the last two days, although there weren’t really indications of internet issues on any other devices in the house or via speedtest. But two things make me think that internet issues could NOT be the explanation. These are:

1. Even when Roon cannot find endpoints to play to, it can still see them, including remote ones, and seemingly configure them in Settings>Audio. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that this means that they are reachable via wifi.
  2. Even endpoints (1) through (3), which are physically part of or physically connected to the Acer (and therefore don’t need a network connection) are disappearing.

Both of these points are illustrated in the screenshot below, in which Settings>Audio shows all endpoints, but Roon says “No Audio Devices Found” – not even the physically present endpoints are found.

So my question is: Could it in fact be a networking issue even though: (a) physically connected endpoints are disappearing, and (b) Roon can still in Settings>Audio “manage” endpoints, including remote endpoints (4) and (5), even though it can’t find them to play to?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Roon recommends that the core machine uses a LAN wired connection.

Thanks, @wizardofoz – I had been generally aware of this, but as I wasn’t having problems via wifi, I didn’t feel I needed wired. I saw it again yesterday when I searched Community before posting. I have now started doing that (wired) – will see how it goes.

But I still would be interested in input on whether physically connected endpoints could disappear and whether the ability to “manage” remote endpoints could still be available, if it’s purely a network issue… @support would you have any thoughts on this?

Hello @otinkyad, this is likely a network issue but we’re happy to help take a look! Let me know if the issue returns while your core is wired.

Hello @nuwriy – thanks for responding. Interesting to hear that this could be a network issue even though physically connected endpoints are also disappearing. In that case, I’ll wait to see how things go with the now-wired connection, before asking you to spend any time on troubleshooting – thanks –

Hello @otinkyad, just checking in, any issues?

Hello @nuwriy – many thanks for checking in. I was waiting a bit to reply because I haven’t had a whole lot of opportunity to test. But to the extent that I have used Roon in the last few days, it has seemed to work fine (now using a wired connection at all times). So, hopefully, that has taken care of it. But I will contact you again for help, if that’s OK, if I encounter those issues again – thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.