Suggested hardware

a Linux server is just as set and forget as an endpoint… once configured there’s nothing left to do other than wait for the day hardware failure occurs.

One man’s opinion of course. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but to be fair I’m aiming my comments at someone who’s said they don’t really want to deal with a command line, so the ‘set’ and ‘configure’ aren’t exactly straightforward in that case, especially for anyone not really interested in Linux per-se. And once it’s setup and you want to add something, change drive auto mounts, schedule some backups, or whatever - just general maintenance or useage tasks - things tend to get complicated just because it’s Linux. And if following online step-by-steps fail at any point - for any of the X million reasons it could be with all the variants of Linux - some people could end up really stuck.

It all depends on the users expertise I suppose. Developers and IT types tend to love it. From your posts on Linux I’m completely guessing but maybe you fall closer to these lines of work? For fritz, I’d say walk away if it’s going to be your main server…

Not at all, just couldn’t deal with Windows any longer so I switched.

Good thoughts. Life a short and I am. It sure I want to spend the time nurse maiding a server. I am not averse to command line, but I do want something that pretty much is set and forget including backups.

My main server is a Synology NAS and current Roon core is a Mac mini.

Regarding your Synology NAS, check out these 2 topics:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/synology-spk-package-development/9796

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-running-in-docker-on-synology/9979

I have a Synology 213+. Don’t think it’s going to be possible to serve as a core. And what I am looking for is a bit more speed from the Mac Mini core.

Would a machine that is also being used to watch Netflix and so forth on the TV still be dedicated enough for this to apply?

8 gb is plenty for me and Roon and Netflix, etc. Works great.

Yeah, that will be fine.

1 Like

Currently I have a dedicated 6th gen i5 NUC with 250GB SSD and 16GB RAM running the Roon Server. Would you recommend running Roon Bridge on a separate PC/Mac? And what is the minimum hardware to run Roon Bridge? By the way what is the relationship between a Roon Bridge and RAAT?

You might run Roon Bridge and Roon Server on separate hardware for sound quality reasons, depending on the details of your setup.

You shouldn’t have to worry about minimum hardware for Roon Bridge. It is not resource-intensive. Many people run it on Raspberry Pi 2’s and similar devices. You can probably find an ARM CPU that is not fast enough if you look hard enough, but anything Intel-based is going to be more than adequate.

Roon Bridge and Roon Server are software packages. RAAT is a network protocol that streams audio.

Both Roon Bridge and Roon Server expose all of the audio devices on the machine they are running on to Roon as RAAT-based audio zones.

If you’re familiar with AirPlay’s ecosystem, this might help make the relationship clearer: RAAT is to Roon Bridge as AirPlay is to Airfoil Speakers.

For more information:

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Roon on a QNAP TS469 Pro

have had roon on macbook pro + tower mac pro - both worked fine
have switched to always on intel nuc i7 skull canyon with ubuntu - very fast and would recommend
also using raspberry pi with hifi berry digi+ and linn streamer - still awaiting proper linn solution although this works well enough for me to use it most of the time

1 Like

[quote=“Iain_Richards, post:159, topic:90”]
… still awaiting proper Linn solution
[/quote]Keep on lobbing Linn to support RAAT one day they might crack :wink:

1 Like

Excellent choice.

Nuc6i5 on the way. Went for the 850 ssd option instead of the SM951. I’ve been using the iMac up to now but wanted a dedicated headless system to run all the time.

Windows version of Roon is MUCH MUCH MUCH faster than OS X based on experience on a large library.

1 Like

How does Windows compare with Linux for speed?

I bough the i7 Skull Canyon but the fan noise is too loud to put it in my listening room. Now back to 6i5.

osx and ssd?