Suggestions for current hardware - DSD512, ECv2

will start looking for a reasonable setup to demo the hqplayer, thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

I didn’t check, but I’m sure Jussi is right and that he’s the best!

Jussi, I got dropouts /stutters until I checked the multicore dsp setting. It was grey before. Is that expected? Thanks!

I’m 100% sure that i7-13700K without water cooling can do everything. Problem is something else.

edit. xla goes without problems too

hqplayer

edit. 13700K not without K

1 Like

Temperatures are also normal. I can’t even hear the fans and I’m constantly using the computer at the same time.

2 Likes

There are the two settings because it is almost impossible to predict which way is the best on any given computer hardware. So if the auto setting (grayed) doesn’t work for wanted cases, it is worth testing with the “forced all on” setting (checked).

On the generic build (Windows, Intel Mac and Ubuntu generic build) it makes also switches between two different optimized code versions.

Just as a note, that is 13700K which is more powerful (and higher TDP) than 13700.

My i5-11600 non-K model. But it is on the edge for DSD512 with EC modulators.

I’m still waiting for 13th Gen T-series to appear in stores here in Finland and pondering if I should make the build with regular one (no letters) model instead. The case in question is just so tiny that I’d prefer to go with T-series.

1 Like

True and a really important note because my previous one was an i7-12700F 65W and there is no hope of similar power. It is also good to know that my motherboard gives the processor as much power as it requests, i.e. much more than that 125W. This can also be seen in the power section of the picture, which shows its current power consumption. And for your information, I have 6x 120mm Noctua case fans and 2x 120mm processor fans, so water cooling would probably have been cheaper.

FWIW I have a new i5 13500 (non-K) and I can do 192k source to DSD512 ASDM7ECv2 using poly-sinc-long-ip-2s or poly-sinc-gauss-long. poly-sinc-gauss-xla is too much for it, but I mainly use poly-sinc-gauss-long. For 44.1 source, poly-sinc-gauss-xla works fine with the same conversion and modulator.

1 Like

Can you use the machine for basic things at the same time without getting a single dropout? Just curious to know.

Well I use it as my roon server! It has roon core and a hard disk with the music on it + HQP embedded. Runs ubuntu 22.04. That doesn’t seem to trouble it. But I don’t do much active on it - it is a dedicated roon server and HQP machine. I sometimes connect to it using remote desktop as well and I can do simple command line things like htop without drop outs. I can also do DSD1024 on some filters using AMSDM7EC 512+fs - e.g 44.1 & 192k source using poly-sinc-gauss-long without drop outs.

Its got a great big Noctua 14C cooler on it that is about as big as the mini ITX motherboard. I can’t hear the fan going and it is in the same room as the audio set up. NR200 case with lots of holes in it.

2 Likes

Okay. Thank you for the information. I would believe that running the programs is much more difficult. The Roon Core itself has been running Surface Pro 7, which is indeed far too powerful for it, but when there is no other use.

I also have a mini ITX board with a Noctua Chroma black fan on it. The fan is almost the same size as the motherboard. And the computer is also in the same room and I can’t hear anything except when the machine starts up and the fans are at full blast for a while.

1 Like

One of the nice devices for running HQPlayer Client though.I use Surface for controlling HQPlayer in the livingroom system.

2 Likes

I myself really like the device. It is probably the best and most stable device that Windows has made. At one point I had Roon core and HQPlayer in it and ASDM7 was still running easily. And you’ve probably never heard a sound from it or fallen over. It was more expensive than the iPad and much more expensive than cheaper devices. But the buyer group was certainly quite different.

I’ll be loaning a machine (i7-11700f, 16GB memory 3200mhz, RTX3080) for testing out the hqplayer before deciding the specification I need.

Looks like installing ubuntu then hqplayer embedded is the way I’ll try it out (always have a perception Linux is more efficient than Windows), but I am torn between should I do this as purchasing the licenses later need a careful thought, due to the license of desktop and embedded are different.

If I go for desktop version (which allows me to try Mac next time); any specific version of Windows are preferred?

1 Like

Desktop license also works on Ubuntu Desktop, as well as macOS and Windows.

The HQPlayer website states:

System requirements, Windows version:

• Windows 10 or 11 x64
  • Audio interface with support for WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO
  • CPU support for AVX2 instruction set
  • Display adapter with OpenGL support
  • Minimum full-HD resolution (1080p)
  • PDF reader software (such as Adobe Readeror Foxit Reader)
2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t invest that much in a graphics card. For the price of just a graphics card, you can assemble a much more powerful machine, which is more suitable for this use. Just saying.

2 Likes

Just so happen the loaning machine has a i7-11700f and a RTX3080, I am more than happy to not get a GPU as this machine will be solely used for hqplayer, will see how the test result looks like

1 Like

DSD512 light bite now after undervolting. Nothing has really been pulled out yet.

1 Like

Now you can say that updating the bios for once really made a difference. In the picture, DSD is playing in the background and the temperatures are after cinebench. Even there, the result improved after almost 2000 updates.

Temperatures now 40-50 with DSD. And motherboard is AsRock Z790 PG-TB4. And I ordered water cooling because I want to see where I can get with it.

In my experience with hqplayer, I found I get more out of it when I run it in Ubuntu. It just works better. Windows just seems to always get in the way of things.

As @dabassgoesboomboom pointed out earlier, you can use the desktop license with Mac, Windows and Linux. But only one running at a time.

I just built a Z790 hackintosh with a 13900K. I’ll have to throw an Ubuntu drive in and see how hqplayer does. :grinning:

I’m curious to see thermals with and without cuda. I have a RTX3080ti FTW I can utilize. Definitely OVERKILL! :crazy_face:

2 Likes